Kids id

Tree

Mouseketeer
What do children need to get on the plane? Just their birth certificates or do they need something else

Kids don't need ID as long as they aren't traveling out of the country.

The only exceptiions I can think of are a large child under two being declared as a lap baby (why someone would want to sit for three hours with a 40 pound two year old on their lap is beyond me!) or a tall/bearded 17 year old who might easily be taken as an older young adult (is that an oxymoron?)

Anne

Anne is absolutely right. Only those kids being flown as lap babies could need an actual ID. My dd, now 13, has always taken her school picture ID but she doesn't need to. She just like showing it!! I believe the age cutoff is 18. For those kids that have drivers licenses, that would do...same as the adults. But until age 18, nothing is needed.

Some airlines offer youth or child fares. Anyone flying with an age based fare should be prepared to show proof of age. The youth and child fares for many airlines are higher than the deeply discounted internet fares most of us book.

Anne-SW asks for a copy of the birth certificate for virtually all lap babies, not just for 40 pounders. They don't want the GA to have to debate age with the parents. The "honor" system wasn't working.

It's easier for an older looking 17 year old to show his drivers license than to have to debate age with the TSA employee.

Lewisc said:
Some airlines offer youth or child fares. Anyone flying with an age based fare should be prepared to show proof of age. The youth and child fares for many airlines are higher than the deeply discounted internet fares most of us book.

Anne-SW asks for a copy of the birth certificate for virtually all lap babies, not just for 40 pounders. They don't want the GA to have to debate age with the parents. The "honor" system wasn't working.

I'm not even going there. Just not going to do it. :rotfl:

It's easier for an older looking 17 year old to show his drivers license than to have to debate age with the TSA employee.

Don't debate with the TSA. NO matter how right you are or how illogical they are, just don't do it. You can't win no matter what, so resign yourself to the fact that our skies are being secured by people who can count to ten and fog a mirror.

I have some advice on that as well. Not all 17 year olds have a DL. Not all 18, 19, or 20 year olds do either for that matter. Do your kid a favor, if they don't drive, spend the $8 or so to get them a state issued ID card.

My son was 18 and had no ID other than a Blockebuster card and health insurance card and was refused admission to an "R" rated movie, even though my DH bought the ticket and was right there with him as he was trying to get into the theater. (DH wasn't going to the movies, but rather to shop in the mall the theatre was in and DS caught a ride with him.) They refused to believe that DS was 18 going on 19, even with DH vouching for him, and the fact it was noon on a school day! (DS had graduated a few months earlier) :confused3

We are flying SW with our 7,5, and 9month old. We purchased a seat for the baby. We do not have to bring ID for any of them, is that correct?

My kids always carry passports when flying, even domestically incase they need id. One now has a license and took that instead last month. At 16 he *shouldn't* have been required to show ID, but he was asked to produce it, so glad we had it with us. Same with the passports. They usually don't ask for ID but a couple of times have inspected the ID's, although it might have just been because they had them out in the inspection line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter