Kids' First Words

ZephyrHawk

Confirmed Disneyphile
If you have kids, what was their first word?

I know most kids' first words are "mama" or "dada", but I've heard of some funny vocabulary alternatives showing up.

I could use a little support from the non-mama or dada crowd, because it seems as though my DD has chosen her first word and it is "uh-oh". DH and I have been going back and forth as to whether this counts. First, we weren't sure she was using it in context, but she has since figured out that she should say it when things fall on the floor. Second, it's not technically a word, but more of an exclamation of surprise and dismay. Regardless, I feel silly that for the rest of my life I'll be telling folks that my kid's first word was an indication that something has just gone wrong.:crazy:

DD14's first word was Dada. DD13's first word was ball. Mama was long after Dada, ball, Papa, etc.

Preparation for the teen years, I suppose.

eta - I would say your DD's first word was uh oh. Cute! :)

My 12 year old said "moon" LOL It was funny because we were driving at night and he kept saying it over and over. I turned around and he was pointing up in the sky saying "moon" I said "I know its the moon" and he dissolved into that funny baby laugh they do.

Honestly, I don't remember what their first words were. I know I called my mom when my older son was just about 7 months excited that he said "momma" finally. But I couldn't tell you what he had said before that, lol!!

But, i would definitely say "uh-oh" was her first word - most kids will have that in their first 10 words or so - easy to say and said a lot!!

She babbled Dada for a long time, but we aren't sure when it really rolled over to being used in context.

Other than that Cookie was a first word. I fully blame her grandma for giving her the first cookie, the word quickly followed as she wanted more of them. she also would say "Tee" which is for out cat. His name is Matisse and she would just screech 'teeeee!!!' whenever she saw him.

She didn't say Mama until 18 months. Lots of other things but she was a hold out on Mama.

My DS's first word was "no". My DD's was "cookie".

I babysit DH's little cousin. Her first word was "Clay" (who is their 150 lb Rottie and her best friend). That went over well with her parents.:rotfl:

I know DD12's was "hot". We were at Fazoli's and she held her hand over the pasta and said hot.

DD14's first group of words definitely included "uh-oh". I just can't remember if it was first. She also consistently used "doh" for ball, so that counted. "Empty" as in my sippy cup is empty was also one!

My DD's first word was CAT!
Not Mama or even Dada - CAT!

Our cat was like her unofficial bodyguard, he used to sleep under her cradle and if we moved it to a different spot he would give us a bad look and then get up and move too!

DS said mama first. DD didn't talk for a long time. She just sat quietly and watched and maybe grunted when she wanted something. When she did finally say something it was a sentence. It ended up being "can you hand me that?" I had my back to her when she said it and we were the only ones home. I turned around and said "what?" Surely my eyes were huge and scared looking and she said it again. She is still shy and quiet for the most part and listens to everything. lol

Older Ds's was "ball"

Younger Ds's was "no"

Dd's was "pretty" (more like pittie)

Its funny each of their first words fits their personalities to a "t"!

My first word was "teddy." I've had this one teddy bear since I was born, so that's probably why.

My ds first word was "dog" and his first two word combo "dog bark".

We have a 135lb Saint Bernard, we refer to her as our oldest child.

Most of mine have said Mama or Dada first, but my youngest one (16 months) said, "Ah HA." We really like the original Pooh books, and that's what they tell Kanga when she realizes that baby Roo is missing. We tend to say it to each other a lot, and he really liked it.

DS #1 first word was dada
DS #2 first word was mama (DH "claims" he said dada first. I think he is just jealous! :rotfl:)

My sister's first word was turtle.

I had a friend that said her son's first word was Duck. Apparently a duck toy was his favorite one.

My kids did the 'normal' mama/dada thing..

My daughter's first word was "baby". She would say it when she cried, I guess so we would know exactly who was crying! Her second word was "Diego", from the Go Diego Go show. "Mama" came a distant third.

Not sure if it was his first word, but my son's most frequent word for quite a while was "this" (pronounced "dis"). "This" with pointing had many meanings -- what is the name of this thing? I want to hold this thing. Does this thing taste good? He was stuck on "this" for quite a while, and then a whole flood of words started coming from him. We figure that he was just building up his vocabulary with all his "this" questions, and he has barely paused for a breath since then. (He's 9 now).

My older DS's first word was hockey, I kid you not- it came out more like ha hee, but it was while my DH and I were having a long talk that we kept saying hockey (Rangers were in the Stanley Cup finals at the time.
My younger DS's first word was ball... It was the only word he would say for months....everything was ball, I was ball, DH was ball, his bottle was ball, etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter