Kids' entitlements on DDP

Jen309

Earning My Ears
We're paying for the DDP for our family of 5 (me, DH, and DC 5,7, & 9). This is kind of a trite question, but I'm confused over the dessert options for the kids. I've come to understand that dessert means trading a side for a cookie at most CS restaurants, however I've no clue how this works at TS. We booked the DDP under the assumption that all 5 of us would receive a proper dessert. The dessert was really the tipping point for us choosing to go for the DDP, as it would 'save' us $20-$25/meal on dessert items (that could also double as additional snacks/breakfast). If it's true that the kids don't *really* get anything, I'm sure we adults will wind up handing over our cupcakes, etc. to the kids and DH will be unhappy that we went for the DDP - I'm not looking forward to that conversation. Please fill me in on the details, especially at TS and BOG lunch. Thanks!

You can look at menus online but most kids meals don't get what you call a proper dessert. Most are cookies or fruit.

Even at TS places, MOST kid's desserts are some sort of ice cream sundae or pudding. They aren't very elaborate, but they can be cute.

TS adult desserts are usually rather large, so you and DH should be able to SHARE (not hand over) your dessert with them,

BoG lunch is counter service, and most reports are kid's do NOT get the cupcake, so you will either need to use a snack credit to get them one, or hand yours over.

With kid's your age, the biggest value of the DDP is doing character buffets. The nightly price of the kid's DDP is usually about the same as the cost of that buffet, so their QS and snack are practically free. If the majority of your TS meals are a la carte places, you will come close to just breaking even as most kid's TS meals are around the $10 mark. Pair that with having that dessert conversation with your DH may mean you need to forget the DDP and just pay OOP.

Bog lunch, the littles got a cookie. We saved those and shared our cupcakes.

Mostly for cs, we 'worked the system'. We got the kids meals at places that don't have a kid menu-Casey's at mk, min and bills at HS. For instance, at HS, we ordered the kids a pretzel hot dog with a shake as their drink. We then ordered adults meals at starring rolls and ended up using the ginormous cupcakes as afternoon snack. At caseys we got cotton candy and cracker jacks that we were saved and used at other times.

For TS, we booked mostly character buffets, so they had access to the same desserts we did. At Sci-Fi, we got shake drinks and handed those over while we ate the regular dessert. Our waiter ended up boxing up fruit for the kids when they refused their 'real' dessert, and we used that for breakfast. Liberty Tree lunch gave the kids a little ice cream sundae. It was plenty, they were thrilled, and we had our desserts to ourselves (which incidentally, we could have shared no problem. There was a ton left).

Thanks everybody! I think, looking at our plans/ADRs, we'll at least break even, since tax is included in the DDP. I'm not really to concerned with everyone having enough dessert, I was just really hoping to use some as breakfasts, knowing they were huge portions. I feel slightly ripped off too, knowing that the kids don't get the same choices as adults (it's not made explicit dessert is a package with the kids meal, as opposed to the adult meals when you would order from the dessert menu). I 'get it' much better now, and thank you all!

Kids can order ONLY from the children's menu. They will get whatever is covered by the children's menu as far as a dessert. There are a few places where they can have the same dessert choices as adults, like Sunshine Seasons.

Multiple options at many TS restaurants. 50's Prime Time, for example, has several combo and several a la carte options on the children's menu:
wdwinfo said:
Entree/Main Course

• Aunt Betty's Chicken Nuggets - with French Fries and Corn. Choice of one (1) Beverage and one (1) Dessert - $8.59
    Daddy's Pot Roast Sandwich - with Onion Rings, Green Beans, and Carrots. Choice of one (1) Beverage, one (1) Entrée, and one (1) Dessert - $8.59
    Grandma's Macaroni & Cheese - with Green Beans and Carrots choice of one (1) Beverage and one (1) Dessert - $8.59
    Kids' Mickey Check Meal - Cousin Ann's Turkey Meatloaf - Turkey Meatloaf served with Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, and Fruit Salad. Choice of Small Lowfat Milk or Small Dasani® Water. Meets Disney Nutrition Guidelines for Complete Meals without substitutions - $8.59
    Kids' Mickey Check Meal - Goofy's Salmon - Grilled Salmon served with Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Carrots, and Fruit Salad with choice of Small Lowfat Milk or Small Dasani® Water. Meets Disney Nutrition Guidelines for Complete Meals without substitution - $8.59
    Kids' Mickey Check Meal - Grandpa's Crispy Baked Chicken - Crispy Baked Chicken served with Mashed Potatoes, Carrots, and Fruit Salad. Choice of Small Lowfat Milk or Small Dasani® Water. Meets Disney Nutrition Guidelines for Complete Meals without substitutions - $8.59
    Kids' Mickey Check Meal - Mom's Meatless Meatballs - Meatless Meatballs over Multigrain Spaghetti and Broccoli with Fruit Salad. Choice of Small Lowfat Milk or Small Dasani® Water. Meets Disney Nutrition Guidelines for Complete Meals without substitution - $8.59
    Mickey's Chicken Pot Pie - Choice of one (1) Beverage and one (1) Dessert - $8.59 Dessert

• Kids' Desserts - Fruit Salad, Ice Cream Sundae, Yogurt Parfait Drinks

• Kids' Beverages - Small Lowfat Milk, Small Dasani® Water, Small Minute Maid® Apple Juice
The first three listings,are a la carte and allow the diner to choose from among the four listed desserts and the four beverages.

Take the kids to sunshine seasons the desserts are brilliant! You can even get mickey bars etc you just keep.your receipt and go back for your ice-cream after your done with your meal,
At caseys you get a bag of candy floss.
If you do any signature meals the kids desserts are really fun! A couple of them do a white choc puzzle that the kids make then paint with edible colours, also get a cupcake.
Definitely check out menus before hand, most TS meals the kids got ice cream Sundea if they wanted it, disney are very accommodating.
Plus make sure you book a few buffets they are the best value for your TS credit, and your children can eat what ever food and dessert they want.

We've always upgraded our boys to the adult dining plan, especially when it's free dining, you just change their ages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter