kids' dress code for dinner

luckyfamilyof3

Earning My Ears
This may sound like an odd question, but I am assuming the kids follow the same dress code as adults for dinner? Meaning, no shorts?

I ask because my child will more than likely eat dinner in 5 minutes and then go off with the counselors to kids club. So they'll be at kids club in nice pants instead of shorts.

The recommended attire is recommended for everybody, BUT you'll see lots of kids in shorts anyway.

Our DS has always followed all of the recommended dress codes. It doesn't specifiy an age on it and we try to adhere to it as best we can although I do let him wear leather sandals (not flip flops) on the "casual attire nights".

Yes they ask that they follow the same dress code as adults. He will be there more than 5 minutes as dinner has to be ordered and the pick-up is not that quick after the start of dinner time. The pick-up is a bit of a ways through dinner. It is timed nice though... My PERSONAL opinion is one of two choices: Dinner attire with the exception of dress nights can be comfortable yet respectful. Remember they are not in the clubs really that long in dinner attire or #2 If the family meals are not a big deal, pass them up and feed the kids prior to dinner time and they do not have to come to dinner & therefore no need to dress.

Now note this is coming from a family where we have the expectation our children attend the entire dinner and dress each night for dinner. There is not an option. Once in a while we will let them go back to the clubs if something big is going on and us as adults want to sit and talk/ gab (according to my DH:lmao:) over coffee and dessert. (The reason we choose late dinner). But we feel they dress in Sundresses, Dockers/Polos & this attire is fine for the little time in the clubs if they join them before us adults are done for dinner. So I HOPE this helps a little.;)

You don't say which ship you are on--the Wonder no longer has a "no shorts" request.

Also, consider that the dining rooms and theatres are typically too cool for me. If the Oceaneer's Club and Lab are the same, he may be more comfortable in long pants.

You don't say which ship you are on--the Wonder no longer has a "no shorts" request.

Also, consider that the dining rooms and theatres are typically too cool for me. If the Oceaneer's Club and Lab are the same, he may be more comfortable in long pants.

I posted this on that other thread as well..

The Wonder does request NO shorts. It is in all the recent Navigators and all the literature that I have recieved since booking.

Here is a part of an email I received from Disney the other day..

Packing for Paradise. Here are a few tips on things to bring. For more details, be sure to refer to the Planning Center.

Days
• Casual wear (shorts, slacks, sundresses, jeans)
• Comfortable shoes (sandals, sneakers, boat shoes)
• Beach and pool wear (swimsuits, wraps, t-shirts)

Evenings
• Don’t forget a jacket or sweater. Yes, it’s the tropics, but the nights can be a bit breezy.
• Nice dining attire (no jeans or shorts at dinner, please)
• Optional formal attire
• Themed attire is welcome for Pirates IN The Caribbean night.

We are on the Magic. I guess I'd better do some shopping. We live in Southern CA and he lives in shorts and exercise pants (hates jeans). He has one pair of very nice dress pants. (So hard to find any pants that fit him though! :upsidedow)

I posted this on that other thread as well..

The Wonder does request NO shorts. It is in all the recent Navigators and all the literature that I have recieved since booking.

Here is a part of an email I received from Disney the other day..

Packing for Paradise. Here are a few tips on things to bring. For more details, be sure to refer to the Planning Center.

Days
• Casual wear (shorts, slacks, sundresses, jeans)
• Comfortable shoes (sandals, sneakers, boat shoes)
• Beach and pool wear (swimsuits, wraps, t-shirts)

Evenings
• Don’t forget a jacket or sweater. Yes, it’s the tropics, but the nights can be a bit breezy.
• Nice dining attire (no jeans or shorts at dinner, please)
• Optional formal attire
• Themed attire is welcome for Pirates IN The Caribbean night.

Thank you for confirming this change. This is different than in September, 2009. I'd seen a report of an e-mail from DCL noting the change, but wondered about it since in 23 cruises sailed and 5 more booked, I've never gotten an e-mail about the suggested dress or anything else.

Glad that they are returning to their slightly more elegant origins as I felt that the Wonder had allowed "casual" to be interpreted as "sloppy."

Dinner attire brings forth many opinions and ideas....just a warning.

On our 7night that we went on and the plan for the one we are going on in a few weeks...... My daughter loves sundresses and has no problem wearing a dress or skirt for dinner. The boys will wear dress pants, and button down shirts for formal and semi-formal dinners. For casual dinners, I allow them to wear dress shorts (not athletic) and collared polos. They are 6 and 11. I may change my mind to dress codes as they get older (16+).

You will see every aspect of dress at dinner. I make sure they look nice!!

Enjoy your trip!!!

Our boys (3 & 6 at the time of our last cruise) wore either navy or light khaki "dockers" type pants for dinner each night (several times a year, GapKids has these on 2 for 1 sale), except for Pirate night I let them wear khaki shorts with their pirate vests. On cruise casual nights they wore a polo shirt, on semi-formal they swore a colored button-down shirt, and on formal night they wore a white button-down shirt with a tie. On formal and semi-formal nights they had brown dock-sider type shoes, on other nights they wore their Keen type sandals. You never know when a great photo op will come up, and it was nice to have them looking sharp, yet age appropriate, each evening. I felt that we were dressed "middle of the road" (not the most formal, not the most casual) each evening and we felt comfortable with that. We plan on following this same "formula" for our upcoming cruise. You will see other families that choose to dress much more formally or casually and honestly it really doesn't seem to affect anyone else's vacation. I understand that Disney wants to create an upscale environment to make each dinner special, and we appreciated this... not because we cared about what those around us looked like, but because it was fun to get a little "spiffed up" ourselves for seven nights in a row!

One other thing, after my boys had worn each of the their polo shirts for dinner, they would then wear those the next day (or another day) as their shirt around the pool, at the clubs, on shore, etc. and not have to worry about spilling or getting it dirty. As for the pants, I learned that Tide-to-go sticks are wonderful!!:)

Here is a link to the navigators from the December 10-13 2009 cruise on the Wonder.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2354432

If you look closely, the navigators say only

The 2010 Navigators do not specify anything for dress anymore like the old ones, so I'm not sure what "recent navigators you are referring to.

The navigators came from my TA. Off hand I do not remember the dates but they are from a Wonder 4 night cruise. I'll have to look it up.

The email that clearly says no shorts came straight from Disney a few days ago. The email is titled "Final Reminders Before You Cruise". I assumed everyone got one right before their cruise :confused3 but if not I would be more than happy to forward it to you.

I agree on the Tide Sticks! They work really well for my DD.. and DH too. :laughing:

On the two cruises we went on with Disney(both ships) I would say I saw about half the kids in khaki or nicer shorts. Once we saw that, we allowed our kids to wear nice shorts except for on the more formal nights.

I posted this in reply to a similar question. I'm a single parent and my son is 12. What we did for for formal night for him was to get a pair of nicer perma press white shorts (not the long or baggy ones!) I had him wear a shirt and tie with a navy blazer and matching navy kneesocks. It was 'dressy" but not overly so and the formal experience was wonderful for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter