Kids Dramamine

firsttimer4

Mouseketeer
Anyone give their kids Dramamine for the flight? This will be our 3rd time flying to Disney! My DD is 7. The first time we flew she was fine. The last time (2 years ago) she got sick on the way there. She was sick most of the first day. I had some nausea medicine in my checked bags and I gave her that for the flight home and she did ok. This time I want to avoid it all together even if it was a fluke. I bought Kids Dramamine but it's not non-drowsy formula. We land at 8am and have a full day planned. I don't want her to be groggy. Anyone used this before??

I know that the adult stuff knocks me out (actually Dramamine and a glass of wine are my go to combo for international flights when I want to try to sleep)... maybe try the seabands first if you have a day planned and bring peptobismol to help settle the stomach?

Other options if it was bad last time would be to talk to your pediatrician and/or give it to her now to see what the response is. Some meds will knock one person out but make another hyper...

Final options would be to consider other natural remedies like ginger or maybe even those slightly sour drops pregnant women use for morning sickness (I thought of that when I googled motion sickness kids and one remedy was ginger so I'm guessing other natural remedies may also work). Good luck!

http://childrensmd.org/browse-by-ag...ing-without-vomit-treat-motion-sickness-kids/

My DD is 14. She has been using the kids Dramamine for quite some time now as we live in Colorado and have to drive over the mountains and she gets extremely car sick. She also uses it for flying to Disney or anywhere else we go. It does make her pretty groggy though and she is trying to find other solutions because she really dislikes feeling that way. What we have found that works for us (not recommending, unless you talk to your doc and feel comfortable with the use of it) is a high grade and reputable brand of peppermint oil. The brand we use has small beadlets that pop open in your mouth and you get a pretty potent burst of peppermint. It has almost always calmed my daughter's nausea within a few minutes. I like this option because it is on hand if needed for her instead of me giving her a medicine she may not need.

A few weeks ago she tried the non-drowsy formula of Dramamine and said it didn't seem to help her at all, just as an FYI.

Enjoy your trip!! We arrive in 33 days!

I used it for my son on a Disney cruise and let's just say we were alone at dinner! He was fast asleep. The servers were so kind and grabbed an extra chair to make him a bed and even found him a blanket.

My DD is 14. She has been using the kids Dramamine for quite some time now as we live in Colorado and have to drive over the mountains and she gets extremely car sick. She also uses it for flying to Disney or anywhere else we go. It does make her pretty groggy though and she is trying to find other solutions because she really dislikes feeling that way. What we have found that works for us (not recommending, unless you talk to your doc and feel comfortable with the use of it) is a high grade and reputable brand of peppermint oil. The brand we use has small beadlets that pop open in your mouth and you get a pretty potent burst of peppermint. It has almost always calmed my daughter's nausea within a few minutes. I like this option because it is on hand if needed for her instead of me giving her a medicine she may not need.

A few weeks ago she tried the non-drowsy formula of Dramamine and said it didn't seem to help her at all, just as an FYI.

Enjoy your trip!! We arrive in 33 days!

I never would have thoughts of the peppermint beadlets for the motion sickness/nausea/ thanks so much!!!

I have two kids prone to motion sickness so we have lots of experience with children's Dramamine. It's all about finding the right dose, start with 1/2 a pill and go up from there. 1.5 pills is enough to make her feel better, 2 pills knocks her out. I would try it out ahead of time and see how she does.

Has anyone tried giving it the night before?? We have a 6:10am flight. I was thinking if I gave it the night before it may still be in her system. I also bought some oil that you put behind your ear. I can't remember what you call it.

The non drowsy formula does not work for me or DS. He is eleven and on the small side. I would plan on giving her the non drowsy stuff but be prepared to double the dose. The full strength stuff does not make DS sleepy until after the 3rd dose, international flights, then he'll pass out for the last 15minutes of the flight

I have two kids prone to motion sickness so we have lots of experience with children's Dramamine. It's all about finding the right dose, start with 1/2 a pill and go up from there. 1.5 pills is enough to make her feel better, 2 pills knocks her out. I would try it out ahead of time and see how she does.
I agree. You can always start low and work up to where they're not symptomatic. When I was a kid (aka before kid Dramamine), mom gave me smallest dose and waited 30+ minutes if that didn't work. I found the less-drowsy formula relieved my nausea, but I don't take it anymore due to other medical issues.

Have you asked your pediatrician? Mine recommended benedryl for my daughter's motion sickness. (It dries out the inner ear similarly). Perhaps yours will have other solutions. Good luck!

Have you asked your pediatrician? Mine recommended benedryl for my daughter's motion sickness. (It dries out the inner ear similarly). Perhaps yours will have other solutions. Good luck!

I called our doctor to ask about giving my kids a half dose of Bonine since I'd heard good things about it, but she said the only thing she recommended was Benadryl, which I'd never heard of for motion sickness. I think she said 12.5 mg? (Not sure, but I wrote it down somewhere.) I guess we'll try it, and I hope it works!

I called our doctor to ask about giving my kids a half dose of Bonine since I'd heard good things about it, but she said the only thing she recommended was Benadryl, which I'd never heard of for motion sickness. I think she said 12.5 mg? (Not sure, but I wrote it down somewhere.) I guess we'll try it, and I hope it works!
It does work for my daughter. Hope it helps yours!!

I have had good luck with benadryl with my 11 year old daughter, but was going to try Dramamine this year.

Our soon to be 12 year old son has never flown before - this year will be his first flight. For our cruises where he has experienced motion sickness, our pediatrician has recommended Bonine, which I will probably try for the flight as a precaution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter