Kids dining credits

jennabcassell

Mouseketeer
I was reading something on the boards the other day and I need some clarification (also I can't find it again!;)) My son is 5 and has a huge appetite. He also does not always like the kids menu offerings. When we buy the dining plan and I go up to a qs counter, do I have to buy my child a kids meal off the kids menu or can I order him whatever? Does the computer see that I have two adults and 1 child and ordered three 'adult' meals?? Now that I think about it Casey's Corner at MK doesn't really have a 'kids' menu, you just get the same hot dog as everyone else. Thanks!

CS credits are not separated into adult/child like TS credits are. However Disney's rule is that a child must order off the children's menu when there is one available. You can make your own decision on what to do with that info since talking about going around Disney's rules are against board policy. :)

As Disney's rule is a child age 3-9 must order from the children's menu as long as a restaurant has a children's menu, we don't allow discussion on the Restaurant board of doing anything else.

Yes, at places like Casey's that have no children's menu, children order from the regular menu just as adults do.

I was reading something on the boards the other day and I need some clarification (also I can't find it again!;)) My son is 5 and has a huge appetite. He also does not always like the kids menu offerings. When we buy the dining plan and I go up to a qs counter, do I have to buy my child a kids meal off the kids menu or can I order him whatever? Does the computer see that I have two adults and 1 child and ordered three 'adult' meals?? Now that I think about it Casey's Corner at MK doesn't really have a 'kids' menu, you just get the same hot dog as everyone else. Thanks!

Your KTTW card will show 2A 1C on it. The CM at any restaurant will only let you order what the card says you have paid for, which is 2 adult meals and 1 child's meal. At any restaurant that does not have kids menu, you can order any three meals.

As Disney's rule is a child age 3-9 must order from the children's menu as long as a restaurant has a children's menu,

I would add to this if you paid for the child prices on the DDP.

We chose to upgrade our daughter to an adult because of the limited menu options. So she was under 10, but because we paid as if she was over 10, we could order for her whatever she wanted.

In our case it was a special offer with no difference in price, but if I went back tomorrow I would upgrade her again, even if I had to pay the difference.

I would add to this if you paid for the child prices on the DDP.

We chose to upgrade our daughter to an adult because of the limited menu options. So she was under 10, but because we paid as if she was over 10, we could order for her whatever she wanted.

In our case it was a special offer with no difference in price, but if I went back tomorrow I would upgrade her again, even if I had to pay the difference.

To upgrade a child you must list them as 10 years old on your reservation, so as far as Disney is concerned they are 10 and have the adult plan.

To upgrade a child you must list them as 10 years old on your reservation, so as far as Disney is concerned they are 10 and have the adult plan.

If you do this though, does Disney then require your 3yo to pay adult ticket prices, as well? At least, if you have a package?

IIf you upgrade to 10 yo, then you pay for the adult dining and plan and adult park ticket.

Same applies to younger kids. If you list your 2 yo as a 3yo, then you need to pay for a kids dining plan and will have to pay for park tickets. If you have a 2 yo and want to have the dining plan, you are better off paying OOP for their meal then paying for park tickets KWIM.

If you do this though, does Disney then require your 3yo to pay adult ticket prices, as well? At least, if you have a package?

Yes, they do. You can't get DDP without a package so you'd be paying for that child as if you had a package for a 10 year old. If you're on free dining there's no charge for the dining boost but you pay for an adult ticket for the child. The difference isn't much on multiday tickets.

If you're an annual passholder or military and can get a ticketless package, you pay for the adult DDP but no tickets. This doesn't relate to free dining as you can't have free dining on a ticketless package.

Yes, they do. You can't get DDP without a package so you'd be paying for that child as if you had a package for a 10 year old. If you're on free dining there's no charge for the dining boost but you pay for an adult ticket for the child. The difference isn't much on multiday tickets.

If you're an annual passholder or military and can get a ticketless package, you pay for the adult DDP but no tickets. This doesn't relate to free dining as you can't have free dining on a ticketless package.

Just to clarify, you do not need to pay for a 3 year old as an adult unless you choose to list that child as 10. For a three year old it is not worth it in my opinion. You do have to pay for a 2 year old that you list as 3 if you want to get the dining plan. People upgrade their children if they have hearty appetites or if they want more variety for dining. So you would have to list whatever child you want to upgrade to be either 10 or 3. But you do not have to upgrade all of you children . If you have a 5 year old and a three year old and you think for dining your five year old should pay (and receive) adult meals, then you can just upgrade that one child if need be.

I would add that this is more of an issue with the QSDP. Table service meals are more decent and have more variety. Some QS restaurants have decent kids meals as well, that would satisfy a heartier appetite.

Not sure if this will be an option for you but we also have the DDP, my DD is a VERY fussy eater so we will mostly be using the snack credits to get her fruit, carrot sticks etc as she likes picking at things. The one thing she will eat on occasion is chicken strips, last time I was there I got her a kids chicken nuggets but she refused to eat them after spitting out the first mouthful and after tasting them I could see why!! So we got her the adult meal of chicken strips and she LOVED them, she ate 5 of them! (which is LOADS for my DD) So when we go if she wants a meal of chicken strips I will order an adult one for her, my own meal and my DH (who would eat a scabby cat) will take the kids meal and half, or whatever she leaves, of her adult meal. So if there is someone with you who would take the kids option and share the adult meal with your DS then that would save you having to upgrade or to be limited to places that don't do kids menus. :)

Thanks everybody! Smallblackstars- last time we are at MK we ate at Cosmic Rays and I got the adult chicken strips to split with my son and they were 1000 times better than the kids nuggets!! Why can't all the kids nuggets be that good? My son has a great palate and the bland kids dishes just don't cut it for him. He gets tried of the same nuggets, burgers, mac and cheese, etc... place after place. I looked at some of the new kids menus which are looking better with the options of grilled chicken and fish yet they are still plain. I think I will change him to an adult on the dining plan. My only worry now is how to explain this to servers at table service restaurants.

You don't need to explain it to servers at table service restaurants. Your key card will say three adults on the dining plan, so you are eligible to order three adult meals.

TDC Nala said:
You don't need to explain it to servers at table service restaurants. Your key card will say three adults on the dining plan, so you are eligible to order three adult meals.

When I upgraded the twins this trip ( they are 7) the servers kept telling me there was a mistake on my card lol and that they could choose to eat from the kids selection!
I don't know how many times we explained that we had upgraded them so they could eat "adult" meals not kids!!

I had a few say well if they really want the adults meals then I can't see a problem with it as it is on your card! I felt like screaming of course it's ok I paid for them to have it lol,

We had a few meals where the boys wanted kids meals ( One was Trex) and so we paid OOP for them that way we could use their credits for signature meals.

So although they shouldn't question you some of them do if they see your child is not 10.
Of course at the end of the day there is no issue and you will get the adult meals that you paid for, just be aware. :)

Thanks everybody! Smallblackstars- last time we are at MK we ate at Cosmic Rays and I got the adult chicken strips to split with my son and they were 1000 times better than the kids nuggets!! Why can't all the kids nuggets be that good? My son has a great palate and the bland kids dishes just don't cut it for him. He gets tried of the same nuggets, burgers, mac and cheese, etc... place after place. I looked at some of the new kids menus which are looking better with the options of grilled chicken and fish yet they are still plain. I think I will change him to an adult on the dining plan. My only worry now is how to explain this to servers at table service restaurants.

Yes! It would be different if the kids meals had "real" food like the adult meals. Instead of whole strips of white meat chicken, they get processed chicken pucks. Even the hamburgers for the kids are icky. Why is that?! It feels offensive to me. I mean, who eats carrots, grapes, applesauce or a cookie with every meal?
I know. It's so, beating the dead horse. Just bugs me.
My kids mostly split adult meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter