• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids clubs reality

Donathius

Mouseketeer
I've read many of the accounts here on the boards about how much people's kids loved the Oceaners club/lab so I don't doubt that the kids have a blast but having not seen it myself (no kids on the one cruise we took) I'm curious about the reality versus marketing materials. The promotional videos show kids playing with Mickey, Goofy, Captain Hook, etc - does that really happen or is it only when there's a camera crew around? What do the kids get to do besides watch Disney movies or play video games?

We're thinking about a Disney cruise but it's a waaaays down the road (like 4 years or so) and I'm the consummate obsessive overplanner so I'd like to know what kinds of things my kids can expect. One will be around 6 and the other about 3 when we'd be going out on the cruise.

Generally speaking they have lots of planned activities but the kids can also just hang out and do their own thing. You're looking waaay ahead of time though...lots of the specifics could change between now and then.

This is only my experience, so now attacking necessary!

My kids did not care for the kids clubs at all. I have DS 4 and DD 9. They liked Plutos PJ party, but that its it.

We did the open house and our feeling was that there is a lot of stuff, is structures, but nothing to actually PLAY with. So they could run around on the big structure in the monsters Inc room, but nothing to actually play with.

There are computers to play on, but that's not really what we were looking for.

Also, if your kids are going for a specific event, be careful because they do not announce when that event is starting. So for example, if they want to do something that starts in one area at 1:00, but you have dropped them off at 12:00 and they have gone to another area, they won't announce that the event is starting, and they will miss it :(

Again, just my experience and opinion.

Don't let that stop you though, we had a great time WITH the kids all week :)

You can check out the navigators linked here on the board to see the activities. The activity will run for 30 minutes or so and the character will be there for a small part of that time -- maybe 10 minutes. With Mouskateer in training they worked with the kids on how to march to the theme song then hold their fists on their heads like ears...and also giving high 4s so they would be ready for Mickey. He came in, they marched around together, he went around and gave everyone high 4s. The kids seemed happy with the interaction. Alice came in and helps the kids look for the white rabbit. Snow White came in and reads them a story. Goofy showed up in the middle of a PJ party where the kids colored pillow cases that had a drawing on them. DS first cruised at 5 and has always loved going to the clubs. DD was 3 and she hasn't been as enthusiastic about them...only going when we required her while we were at Palo. Now as a tween she has enjoyed the Edge a bit with friends.

My 6 and 8 year old boys HATED the club on the Dream. There really is nothing to play with there. They are not interested in watching movies all day and coloring gets old after about 15 min. The computers are really lame with complicated games on them that require using the keyboard arrow keys for. Too difficult for my kids who are uses to using a mouse or touch screen. Organized activities are all pretty lame. We dropped our kids off one night and my little guy was in hysterics. He had begun crying after 15 min, they paged us and we didn't get the message until 30 min after I had picked them both up. He cried for over 45 min. No one even attempted to console him.

It's glorified babysitting. Nothing more. Don't be fooled.

We were with a group that had kids from 5 to 12 years old and all the kids just loved the kids area. We had a 6 year old that would start crying as soon as he seen his dad because he knew he had to leave the kids area. When my son was 9 he spent all day and night in the kids area. As soon as dinner was over he wanted to go back in and stay until they closed. Now that he is 16 he is still asking to do Disney because he likes the kids much better. He still keeps in communication with several kids he meet on Disney Cruises. He only has one person he communicates with from the other cruise lines.

I think it comes down to your kids personality and what they like to do... and a little on how the parents approach it.

We have two boys and have been on three DCL cruises. The boys are 41/2 years apart, so they never experienced the kids club together. They have VERY different personalities.

Our eldest is quiet and more reserved until he warms up. He's an observer. I don't think he enjoyed it as much as I wanted him to, but he warmed up and liked participating in the activities. On future trips, he participated in the Edge and most recently in the Vibe. He was so busy with his new friends, that we were lucky that I stipulated that we will "meet for pictures and dinner every night." He even had dinner and watched our son as well as our friends kids while we went to Palo. The kids ate dinner in the MDR and then went off to their clubs.

Our younger son is more outgoing and enjoys new things. Right from the get go, he loved the experience. We had 2nd seating, so every night at dinner he was waiting for the "yellow shirt people" to come in to collect the kids.

Our next cruise is this summer. The boys will be 17 and 12. I hope they enjoy the cruise once again.

One time I came to pick my 3-year-old up and she was sitting in Aurora's lap listening to a story. It was so sweet :)

I should also note, except for school, our kids ate pretty much always with us, so that could have something to do with it, they are not really used to "babysitters".

It sounds like the experiences might be different because of the ship as well as the kid's personality.

I remember looking in at the club/lab back in 2000 on the Wonder and thought they had lots of fun things for the kids to do. When I went in there were only about 3 kids there.

I thought the newer ships had a cool dance floor and other fun activities.

DD has had tons of characters come in for activities in the club. Princesses, Capt Hook, The Big 5, Green Army Man, etc.

Hmmm, we've done the Dream and the Fantasy, kids were 6/7 and 7/8. There was lots to do! I've just asked them, here's what they remember:

crafts
Wii challenges
making flubber/scientist type presentations
cooking activities
interactive floor games
Learn to draw/animation classes
scavenger hunt

My youngest didn't care for the clubs but my oldest liked it. YMMV, I think it depends on the kid and on the other kids on the cruise. Just like with us, some connect and make friends and some don't.

The characters come in all throughout the day and night. The navigators will tell you what the scheduled activities have looked like over the years. DD first went in the clubs right at three years old and would close the place down every night, much to our surprise. Once DH went there at closing to pick her up. She was the very last child in the Club, and the CMs—who see thousands of children a week, much less a year—said "Good luck!" to him and closed the doors behind DD. :lmao:

DS is showing signs of being just as gregarious, so I'm sure he will like it, too. But it all depends on the kid. And it's a far cry from glorified babysitting, but like anything else in life, you get out of it what you put in. A kid who has decided they don't want to be there and who is refusing to engage is not going to be enticed by anything the CMs do.

We love the youth CMs, even the magic-makers in the nursery, and are looking forward to our next cruise.

It sounds like the experiences might be different because of the ship as well as the kid's personality.

Very true in my opinion.

Outgoing, independent children who LOVE group participation activities will love the clubs. Shy, introverted kids who aren't into video games or movie watching or coloring or just sitting won't. Kids who like more one on one attention may not like it when it's really crowded (like sailing during the more popular times of the year). My son is a shy, introverted kid who doesn't really like group activities. He doesn't like crowds or the busy, loudness of the deck parties. He loves video games, movies, and climbing through the climbing structure in the Club. In the Lab if there is something really interesting and there aren't so many kids that he's jostled and crowed out, he will participate. I am always surprised when I hear parents say that their kids 'make friends' on the cruises. Mine is just not like that. He can play with a kid and not remember that child's name later. He's not that concerned. He will, however, bond nicely over time and many play dates with a child. That kid truly becomes one of his best friends.

How much your child likes the clubs depends on your child's personality. It's a great place for some and not so great for others.

mine were 5 and 7 and did want to leave the clubs- EVER-- and they are used to being with us the entire time on vacas(hmm maybe thats why?)--- we never put them in those resort-camps they have at other vacation spots- but I felt very comfortable bc it is DISNEY. -- I mean- how can you not have fun having a personal story time w/ Snow White...baking cookies w/ Goofy... sword fighting w/ Captain Hook... just to name a few.... listen let them try it-- we went in not expecting anything and figuring maybe they would visit here and there-- and it was one of their fave things to do.....highlighters came out every night to plan the club activites for the next day.....

My daughter was 4 months shy of her 3rd birthday when we sailed on the Dream in 2011. She wanted to be in the kids' club with my then 5-year old niece all the time. Given her age, she was allowed in, only if accompanied by an adult. So I spent a LOT of time in there, and I was very impressed! The counselors were all college educated adults who seemed to truly love children. They were constantly playing games, reading stories, doing craft projects and science experiements. Pixie Hollow had a dress up area with every princess/fairy costume imaginable.

We loved it!

We are sailing the Magic a week before my son's 3rd birthday, and I am hoping they will let him join.

We have two boys and have been on three DCL cruises. The boys are 41/2 years apart, so they never experienced the kids club together. They have VERY different personalities.

Our eldest is quiet and more reserved until he warms up. He's an observer. I don't think he enjoyed it as much as I wanted him to, but he warmed up and liked participating in the activities. On future trips, he participated in the Edge and most recently in the Vibe. He was so busy with his new friends, that we were lucky that I stipulated that we will "meet for pictures and dinner every night." He even had dinner and watched our son as well as our friends kids while we went to Palo. The kids ate dinner in the MDR and then went off to their clubs.

Our younger son is more outgoing and enjoys new things. Right from the get go, he loved the experience. We had 2nd seating, so every night at dinner he was waiting for the "yellow shirt people" to come in to collect the kids.

Our next cruise is this summer. The boys will be 17 and 12. I hope they enjoy the cruise once again.

Do CMs come get the kids and take them back to the club after second dining?

dznystar said:

They come through the dinning room during the second sitting about an hour after dinner starts and get the kids.

The Dine n Play option is available on all the ships. It's not at the end of the meal, however. They (the kids club CMs) show up around the time that the appitizers have been cleared and the entrees come out. You just need to to let your servers know that your kids are participating in Dine n Play, and their entrees will come out with your appitizers.

And keep an eye out for the CMs. On the newer ships, sometimes it's easy to miss them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter