Kids Clubs and the newly potty trained

mouseearstx

Mouseketeer
My newly 3yo DD has been peeing on the potty consistently, with only the occasional accident, since August. She does need reminders to go and is only starting to tell us when she needs to go , but rarely will poop on the potty (though she will hold it until she had a diaper at nap or bed time) How "fully potty trained" do they need to be to be allowed in the kids clubs?

In November my parents are taking my 8 yo DS and myself on a cruise which they promised him for his birthday. My DH just started a new job and will not be able to join us this time. DD has not been added to the reservation and was going to stay with dad because we were unsure about the potty thing. We still have over a month to work with her, but if we are going to add her we need to do it soon or we may not be able to. She had a fabulous time on our cruise last year, when we all went, but HATED the nursery an cried the whole time. My father (who is paying for this) will not take her if she can't go to the clubs because he thinks I need some time away from the kids due to my very stressful job (I teach pre-K)! I'm having lots of mommy giult at the idea of not including her!

If she were to have an accident, would she not be allowed back? Again, she rarely has accidents at home and almost never at school, but who knows what she will do in an unfamiliar environment and out of her usual routine.

My newly 3yo DD has been peeing on the potty consistently, with only the occasional accident, since August. She does need reminders to go and is only starting to tell us when she needs to go , but rarely will poop on the potty (though she will hold it until she had a diaper at nap or bed time) How "fully potty trained" do they need to be to be allowed in the kids clubs?

In November my parents are taking my 8 yo DS and myself on a cruise which they promised him for his birthday. My DH just started a new job and will not be able to join us this time. DD has not been added to the reservation and was going to stay with dad because we were unsure about the potty thing. We still have over a month to work with her, but if we are going to add her we need to do it soon or we may not be able to. She had a fabulous time on our cruise last year, when we all went, but HATED the nursery an cried the whole time. My father (who is paying for this) will not take her if she can't go to the clubs because he thinks I need some time away from the kids due to my very stressful job (I teach pre-K)! I'm having lots of mommy giult at the idea of not including her!

If she were to have an accident, would she not be allowed back? Again, she rarely has accidents at home and almost never at school, but who knows what she will do in an unfamiliar environment and out of her usual routine.

Fully potty-trained in Disney-speak means: able to identify that she needs to use the toilet, can undress, use the toilet, clean up, redress, and wash hands with no assistance from anyone else. The CMs are not even allowed to go into the bathroom in the kids clubs. AFAIK, they will make general announcements (but not always, or often) along the lines of "anyone need to use the toilet?" But no specifically directed at any one child, just to the group.

A good idea is make sure she goes before going into the club and check back every hour or so, and you can take her on a potty run yourself.

An un-potty trained child would be in the nursery, so there is still the option of child care during a time you want to do adult stuff. There's a charge for the nursery, however.

The child must recognize the need to go and get him/herself to the bathroom on their own. Undress, wipe, redress, wash all without assistance. While you might be able to ask them to give a reminder, I wouldn't count on it. She'll need to be able to go without a reminder. You could try having her "go" right before taking her to the Club, and only leaving her for about an hour or so, returning before you think she'd need to go again. But that cuts into your time off.

As for accidents - these things happen. They'll call you to come change her. She won't be banned outright, unless it is a regular "every-time-this-kid-is-in-the-club" occurrence, an occasional accident shouldn't be a problem.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were in a very similar situation with DS in April when we cruised as he was around 3.

I did speak to a CM on day 1 and explained he was newly toilet trained and she said not to worry. She said they understand the children can get distracted easily as there is so much going and after each activity they remind the children about going to the toilet. She said if he did have an accident they will send a message via the wave phone and they have spare clothes to change them into. The children do have to be able to go on to the toilet on their own, clean, dress themselves and wash their hands...we showed him the video of the kids club on line as an incentive to be toilet trained.

We did take DS to the toilet before we put him into the kids club and and we went back in between times sometimes to see if he was ok and needed the toilet. He was absolutely fine and had no accidents.

Alba :)

I took a newly potty trained 3 year old on the Dream last Fall.

In my experience, I was called to pick up my child after a potty accident. I took her off to the cabin and changed her.

Later, we dropped her off so we could have an dinner at Palo. We mentioned this reservation to the CM at Kids' Club and we were not called when she had an accident. They gave her a dry pair of shorts to wear.

At no point did they say she couldn't come back due to accidents.

Also, I toured the nursery, and the nursery staff encouraged me to take her to the Kids' Club, even after I mentioned my concerns about potty training issues.

I will mention, the Kids' Club CM were quick to call or text parents if a child says they are unhappy/wants to leave/cries etc., which is totally understandable. (But not that fun as a parent, if you really wanted/needed a break from your kids).

Thank you for all the replies! I'm not to worried about her having chronic accidents, because they are a rarity now, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that one could happen. She would also have her older brother there, who could help remind her (he's a great big brother!). I don't plan on leaving her there all day, everyday either, but an hour or two here or there would be nice!

My 3 year old barely potty-trained nephew was kicked out of the nursery sent to the clubs loved it and they would just call him Mom if he needed help in the bathroom

my son was almost 4 on the last cruise and i never imagined he would have an accident. he had not had one in almost a year. he had two at kids club and we were not even asked to pick him up. they changed his clothes and when i went to get him they gave us the wet ones. no big deal. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter