• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

kids' clubs and a 12 yr. old

WorldWacky

DIS Veteran
My oldest will be 12 when we cruise. From what I understand, she can go to either the Oceaneer's Club/Lab or Edge. Does she have to choose one for the entire cruise or can she go between both the Oceaneer's Club/Lab and Edge?

I have one that is 14 and I have the same question about the tween club vs. the teen club. I seem to get a different answer every where I look, sometimes it says the tween club goes to age 13 and sometimes age 14. I have also found that for the Magic in particular sometimes it says that the lab only goes up to age 10, but most places it says age 12.

I do know that as far as on-line registration before the cruise goes, it is only for the kids club and lab, and there is no pre-registration for the tween and teen clubs. I know that a couple of years ago on the Wonder one of my sons was in the teen club at age 13 (there was no tween club then), and now I see that the teen clubs start at age 14. I don't if it has changed or if it is different on different ships, and I haven't been able to get a straight answer on whether or not they can go to two clubs if the ages overlap.

Maybe someone can help us both out :confused:

I have a 12 year old and asked this question, I think the general concensus was 12 yr olds can either go to lab or edge, they can't swap back and forth. :)

They can go in either the lab or the club, which ever one has the activities they like. They just have to have a wristband when they are in there. They can also go to the Edge, no wristband required.
We just got off the Fantasy, and my 12 year old sometimes went in to the Club/Lab with her younger cousins, and also visited the Edge.

There are overlap ages built into the programming. The Edge is 11-14. It is basically designed for middle school age kids, and they must be able to come and go on their own.

The Vibe is the teen program--it is 14-17. A 14 year old can choose which program is more appropriate to them, but on the cruises we've been on, could not go back and forth. You choose after seeing the areas, meeting the CMs, etc. On the new ships, your KTTW card id code appropriately.

The Oceaneer's Lab is intended for kids up to 12 (again, 11 and 12 are an overlap age). Now it gets a little complex because the rules seem to change from one cruise to another. On some cruises, kids have been required to choose one or the other program and stick with that; other times, they have been allowed to move back and forth freely. As noted above, when in the Lab they are required to wear a locator bracelet. They can remove this when not in the lab and have a new bracelet attached at no charge when they want to go back. However, a lost locator costs $50 (the locator, not the bracelet).

Our DD was 10.5 on our last cruise (on the Fantasy) and she went to the Lab. I assumed she would be too young to go to the tween club, so didn't even mention it when checking her in. However, once onboard the councellors asked her if she wanted to go to Edge. They told her that if she chose to "move up" she would not be able to return to the Lab.

Next year she'll be almost 12 and is already wondering what to do. She wants to try the Edge first to see if she likes it, but is afraid that if she doesn't they won't let her in the Lab. :worried:

Here's hoping the kid's clubs on the Wonder will be flexible.

My oldest will be 12 on our first cruise. Her sister is 10.5 and brother is 8. I know she will want to be with her siblings. Will this be okay?

If she decides to go to the tween club, will they let the 10.5 year old go with her?

We have always had the experience that they had to make a choice and could not move back and forth.

My oldest will be 12 on our first cruise. Her sister is 10.5 and brother is 8. I know she will want to be with her siblings. Will this be okay?

If she decides to go to the tween club, will they let the 10.5 year old go with her?

Absolutely, your 12 can choose to be in the Lab with your 8 and 10 year old. As to allowing the 10 year old to move up....maybe. I wish DCL would quit allowing this because a 10 year old in elementary school really doesn't fit with a 13 year old middle school kid, and the 2 year overlap should allow for most needs. The problem comes in when the older kids get frustrated with all the "too young" ones in the group, and then they don't want to participate.

Do realize that if your 10 and 12s split for the tween programming, that leaves the 8 year old alone? It seems more fair to allow the 12 to choose to be with her siblings or not rather than to place the 8 year old who will have no choice in the matter to be on her own. But that's a personal opinion, and YOU know your kids better than anyone else. You are the best one to decide who belongs where.

My daughter and her friend will be just shy of 14 when we cruise. Will they be able to choose between Edge and the 14-17 Teen club? Or are they to young for the teen club? I'm afraid they'll feel to old for Edge and might prefer the club for older teens.

On our last cruise (Dream Oct 2011) my DS 11 at the time was able to go back and forth between the Lab and the Edge. He ended up staying in the Lab with his brother.

Hoping this has not changed.

When we were on the 11/24 Fantasy, our DS, who turned 11 on the cruise, was allowed to go back and forth between the Lab and Edge, but could NOT wear the Mickey band in Edge. He ended up sticking with Edge, because the Lab seemed to have more of a younger crowd.

My daughter and her friend will be just shy of 14 when we cruise. Will they be able to choose between Edge and the 14-17 Teen club? Or are they to young for the teen club? I'm afraid they'll feel to old for Edge and might prefer the club for older teens.

This depends on your definition of "just shy." If they are less than 30 days from their 14th birthday, they will be permitted into the Vibe. More than that and they typically will not. 14 is the overlap age. 13 is Edge age. And, I'd be very cautious about placing my 13 year old in the Vibe; that was the reason that the tween program was developed (13s being not mature enough for the teen group.) There are some things that go on in the Vibe that were quite uncomfortable to my daughter at 16 and 17--she and her friends would just leave. A lot depends on the group and the CMs on any given cruise.

kcashner said:
This depends on your definition of "just shy." If they are less than 30 days from their 14th birthday, they will be permitted into the Vibe. More than that and they typically will not. 14 is the overlap age. 13 is Edge age. And, I'd be very cautious about placing my 13 year old in the Vibe; that was the reason that the tween program was developed (13s being not mature enough for the teen group.) There are some things that go on in the Vibe that were quite uncomfortable to my daughter at 16 and 17--she and her friends would just leave. A lot depends on the group and the CMs on any given cruise.

Please elaborate on what made your daughter uncomfortable. My son may be in Vibe next month. He turns 14 on the cruise. I would like to know what your daughter saw if you don't mind.

Please elaborate on what made your daughter uncomfortable. My son may be in Vibe next month. He turns 14 on the cruise. I would like to know what your daughter saw if you don't mind.

We did a minimum of one cruise per year while my daughter was in high school. We were very surprised at some of the differences in the teen group on those cruises--there were times when there were very few teens and they were ALL really neat kids. There were other times when there were more like a couple hundred teens and life was a lot more wild than my daughter liked. They had a "party" with a theme each night. According to my daughter, as long as they kept their clothing on, almost anything else was OK. Specifically, "dirty dancing," kissing, etc. She was well aware that some of the kids were getting alcohol (not from DCL CMs). Typically she had made some friends earlier during the cruise and they would just leave the Stack area when it got to be more than they were comfortable with.

On one cruise, I did discuss things with one of the supervisors responsible for the teens. Their response was that different families have different values--I agree, but my daughter's values didn't fit in with what was permitted in the teen area.

If you search a bit, you can find some scary videos that teens have posted--my DD says that it never got "that bad" on our cruises.

I guess the best advice I can give is that if your kid doesn't want to go to the activities in the evening (after the first night when it is structured), don't push it--find other fun, safe things for them to do even if it means you don't go to the adult things!

I think you are on the same cruise as us (I saw your post in the Cruise Meets) and my DD will also be "just shy" of 14. Her birthday is in March. I had read in other posts that if their birthdays are within 2-3months of the cruise they will let them move up. I'm going to try this since her brother is 15 (just shy of 16) and they would prefer to stay together. She is a mature 13/14 year old anyway (think like Alex - the middle sister - on Modern Family ;) We make that comparison every time we watch the show.)

kcashner said:
Absolutely, your 12 can choose to be in the Lab with your 8 and 10 year old. As to allowing the 10 year old to move up....maybe. I wish DCL would quit allowing this because a 10 year old in elementary school really doesn't fit with a 13 year old middle school kid, and the 2 year overlap should allow for most needs. The problem comes in when the older kids get frustrated with all the "too young" ones in the group, and then they don't want to participate.

Do realize that if your 10 and 12s split for the tween programming, that leaves the 8 year old alone? It seems more fair to allow the 12 to choose to be with her siblings or not rather than to place the 8 year old who will have no choice in the matter to be on her own. But that's a personal opinion, and YOU know your kids better than anyone else. You are the best one to decide who belongs where.

I worry about this too. My kids are 4, 8, 12. Ideally I'd like them to all be together, but I'm ok if my 12 wants to go in the 11-14 club. I'm unsure of my 4 year being in kids club alone

I worry about this too. My kids are 4, 8, 12. Ideally I'd like them to all be together, but I'm ok if my 12 wants to go in the 11-14 club. I'm unsure of my 4 year being in kids club alone

Your 4 and 8 year olds can choose to participate in activities together. The Club and Lab are no longer age segregated. The activities are listed as "suggested for" a particular age, but any child is welcome to participate.

I'd let the 12 year old make the decision (with you) as to which area is more appropriate, especially given that the younger two will be together.

Sometimes a little separation can be good--it gives them something to share when they come together at dinner or in the cabin. And there are plenty of family activities that all ages can do together.

Your 8 year old can stay with your 4 year old for as long as it takes you to get comfortable (or the whole time). You register one in the lab and one in the club, but a counsellor will walk them across the hall to the other club and make sure they are accounted for there any time they ask.

My 6 year old always wanted to go to the lab instead of the club and when I would go to pick her up at the club they would tell me she was in the lab and they would go and get her for me. She had a little friend that she met in club and they would ask and move to the lab together (they did love the club too, they just liked being able to move around).

I'm not sure they would want a 4 year old running around the lab, and it wouldn't be of that much interest to them, but they would have no trouble registering you 8 year old in the Lab, but letting her spend her time in the Club with your little one.

I bet that after the first day your 4 year old will be having so much fun he won't care who is around, and you will feel that he is safe there alone (and I am an overprotective Mom).

kcashner said:
Your 4 and 8 year olds can choose to participate in activities together. The Club and Lab are no longer age segregated. The activities are listed as "suggested for" a particular age, but any child is welcome to participate.

I'd let the 12 year old make the decision (with you) as to which area is more appropriate, especially given that the younger two will be together.

Sometimes a little separation can be good--it gives them something to share when they come together at dinner or in the cabin. And there are plenty of family activities that all ages can do together.

Oh I totally agree! Separation is fine when I know the people they are with :). That's good to know that the club & lab are no longer split. I agree that my 12 DS will probably want to do the 11-14 club but he is visually impaired so I wonder how he will fit in. Regardless I am sure it will work out & everyone will have a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter