Kids Club Age Change

I'm new to DCL, but we were considering a cruise, mainly because I have a Marvel/Star Wars mad child, and the kids club looks really inmersive and fun.

When you read the description of the activities on The Wish. There is mention of 'testing a battle with Marvel villains', 'channel the force to secure the ship,' 'design their own rollercoaster'.

These activities sound like they are a lot more suited to 11 and 12 year olds than 3 and 4 year olds?

Could those with experience tell me, are the activities and spaces made to sound grander than they really are? Would a 9/10 year old be bored by them?

The policy change and new age split has confused me, because the description of the spaces sound more appropriate for the older children. I am now second guessing booking a DCL cruise with a 9/10 year old if the activities aren't as exciting as they sound! We might combine WDW with Universal instead of the DCL trip.
My 12 yo boy literally weept when we came to get him one night because he was having so much fun playing spaceship with other 11 and 12 yo on the wish. He absolutely loved it and is devastated by the change. Some 9-12 year olds may find it boring others may love it, that is what I liked about the choice to do edge or club.

The Marvel cruise is only on the Dream January through early March 24 and nothing Marvel or Starwars for 25. That would usually be on the Dream or Fantasy.

Don’t flame me 😂, but if my kids were in Vibe and I wanted to swing by and check on them, can I actually get there? I understand there’s a secured door or hallway or something? Hoping the CMs on here can answer. My 13 year old wants to age up, and my 17 year old is on the spectrum. And yes, I helicopter. No judgment. 😀 (They will have their phones but often stick them in a pocket or bag and forget about them.)
No not really. On the newer ships, it's a locked door. If you stand there and a kid lets you in you can pop in and give your kid a message or hand him his room key that he left in the room. You can't hang out in there.

If it's a legit reason like you've locked yourself out of a stateroom and you need your kid's key. The CM's are cool with it. I don't know about just showing up to check up on them. They want to keep adults out for security reasons I would assume.

I'm new to DCL, but we were considering a cruise, mainly because I have a Marvel/Star Wars mad child, and the kids club looks really inmersive and fun.

When you read the description of the activities on The Wish. There is mention of 'testing a battle with Marvel villains', 'channel the force to secure the ship,' 'design their own rollercoaster'.

These activities sound like they are a lot more suited to 11 and 12 year olds than 3 and 4 year olds?

Could those with experience tell me, are the activities and spaces made to sound grander than they really are? Would a 9/10 year old be bored by them?

The policy change and new age split has confused me, because the description of the spaces sound more appropriate for the older children. I am now second guessing booking a DCL cruise with a 9/10 year old if the activities aren't as exciting as they sound! We might combine WDW with Universal instead of the DCL trip.
I think they’re pretty cool, but it really depends on the interests of each individual child. The only way to know if your child likes it is to go on a cruise and find out

Every kid is different. My kids started cruising ages 6 and 7 and were bored with the clubs by age 9, but being that it’s the first cruise and everything is new and exciting they may love it. Some kids love the clubs up until they’re kicked out at 13. I don’t think there’s anyway of knowing.
My kids also never were in the Wish club. It may be better. It’s easier for kids to make friends and form relationships in the Edge that’s why my kids preferred it.

That is when the parents need to be firm with the children. Tell them the rules and consequences for not following them.
You can still speak to the Counselors and let them know your concerns. No they won’t be able to stop your kid from leaving, but they can remind them they need to call you etc
The reason for the Disney cruise was because they accommodated my children where they were maturity wise. They have now stopped such accommodation. I choose this cruise so that I would not have to be firm with my Kids and could enjoy an easy vacation. There is something wrong will telling someone that we are changing what we are offering and you need to be more firm, with my very nice and easy kids. Some times I just want them to be kids without extra rules from me.... Is that wrong?

The reason for the Disney cruise was because they accommodated my children where they were maturity wise. They have now stopped such accommodation. I choose this cruise so that I would not have to be firm with my Kids and could enjoy an easy vacation. There is something wrong will telling someone that we are changing what we are offering and you need to be more firm, with my very nice and easy kids. Some times I just want them to be kids without extra rules from me.... Is that wrong?
No not wrong and I understand where you are coming from. But this is how it is now and as a result, you may have to have a conversation with your child that sets out some rules. If your kids are easy they should have no problem following rules that you set out for them which will help to put your mind at ease and allow them to hopefully enjoy Edge and participate as fully as they can

Last edited:
Also, if your child is affected by this, please tell them before the cruise and let them research Edge (use us CMs on Dis to answer their Q’s etc). Do not wait until you are standing in the Club and make the poor Counselor tell your child
This doesn’t surprise me. Two years ago, we had a kindergartener who the parents did not want attending the field trip for behavior reasons. The child showed up in the field trip shirt ready to go and the parents made the teacher tell the child they had to stay at school.

Threatening CMs? I believe it, but what is wrong with people! Do they really think the youth counselors are the ones who decided this? Although maybe since people have reported the call center folks telling them to speak to CM on board. They are throwing them under the bus. But still- threatening? Too bad they can’t disembark people who do that.

This doesn’t surprise me. Two years ago, we had a kindergartener who the parents did not want attending the field trip for behavior reasons. The child showed up in the field trip shirt ready to go and the parents made the teacher tell the child they had to stay at school.

Threatening CMs? I believe it, but what is wrong with people! Do they really think the youth counselors are the ones who decided this? Although maybe since people have reported the call center folks telling them to speak to CM on board. They are throwing them under the bus. But still- threatening? Too bad they can’t disembark people who do that.
I suppose people are used to using anger to get their way? 🤷‍♀️

Just for my own curiosity, how many of you on this thread have/will be cancelling your cruise as a result of this?

Just for my own curiosity, how many of you on this thread have/will be cancelling your cruise as a result of this?
We cannot due to being under 28 days from sail date, I asked and was told they keep 75% and I would be out the flight and hotel. I won't book another one for a long time, if ever due to the way it was handled. I feel like post COVID Disney and I have been in a abusive relationship. As an out of state WDW AP (yup the unfavorable kind) and a DVC owner I feel like every change has been a negative. Not all on DCL but a Disney trip is so much work and a fight for every little thing. This one was my last straw because it impacted my child. Usually it's just me behind the scenes juggling park reservations, dining and tours. I do hope he likes edge but regardless it's inspired me to try Royal Caribbean.

We canceled our 2024 cruise (the main point was for my oldest to get one last round in the kids club and get to check out the kids club on lighthouse point). They should have kept 11 in lab and use it as the overlap age that doesn’t exist now. We may do 2025 for Alaska but right now unsure on it.

I hear one mom already shouted her way to Onboard credit and free cruise-long Internet "to keep track of her kids because they won't"
How does the internet help her keep track of her kids? Not disbelieving you at all… just not sure where her logic is here?

And why doesn’t she just tell her kids to stay in the Edge if she’s that concerned? I don’t understand how an 11-12 year old won’t follow those directions?

How does the internet help her keep track of her kids? Not disbelieving you at all… just not sure where her logic is here?

And why doesn’t she just tell her kids to stay in the Edge if she’s that concerned? I don’t understand how an 11-12 year old won’t follow those directions?
I have no trouble seeing this - the kind of people who shout at CMs are also very likely the kinds of people who haven’t instilled any sort of discipline into their kids. Why actually parent? That’s hard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter