• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids, bug spray and sunscreen

Marthasor

DIS Veteran
We are headed down to WDW in Oct. and I've read that the mosquitoes in FL are really bad this year. I've never used bug spray and really don't like putting chemicals on my DS unnecessarily, but feel like I might have to - there have been reports of dengue fever in key west. I'm just wondering if anyone else puts bug spray on their kids and what do you use? Also, do you put bug spray on with sunscreen over it? With all of these lotions we'll never get out of the hotel room!

I use California Baby Bug Repellent Spray. It is Non-chemical, non-toxic and deet free. I did use their sunscreen up till this year. It comes in too small of a bottle for the price and how much I was using it. I would put the sunscreen on first and then the bug spray. But I put on bug spray around 5pm up here in Ohio. I'm not sure how bad it will be down in Orlando in October.

I don't think we have ever had an issue with mosq. at WDW We live in S Fl and go 5 + times a year. Allergies maybe, but not bugs. We go Sept-Oct-Dec each yr-no trouble. If you want to put on both I would put the sunscren on first.

I've also never had a mosquito problem there. At home in the summer I use the Avon dry oil body spray and it works a treat. I use it on my DD too as the bugs seem to like her. ;)

If you're going to be on WDW property--parks and resorts--you don't need to worry too much about insect repellant unless you're on one of the beaches. WDW works really hard to control the insects--including mosquitoes.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have some on hand! I've only had a few insect bites once, and that was at the CR marina right around sunset. Not sure what they were, but they itched! Usually mosquitoes eat me alive--or try to!--so I don't know what the other possibilities would be! One year the mosquitoes were considered a threat, and every WDW resort room had a notice to use insect repellant. I didn't and did not have any issues--but I'm an adult and probably would want to protect a child in my care more than I would myself!

If you're going anywhere else, I would have insect repellant available and use it as needed.

Definitely, the sunscreen goes next to your skin before any other bug spray or body lotion.

Coconut oil - used in cooking (you should be able to find in in the health food section) is awesome for mosquitos and blackflies.

You only need a little, it goes a long way. Put it in a squirt bottle.. it looks like shortening most of the year - unless it is hot out - then it looks like oil. So it will melt during the day in Fl.

When it goes on it is slightly greasy (no more so than Musk Oil), but within a half hour you can't feel it. And it would be a body lotion as well!

It has very little smell and I haven't found it has stained my clothes. I really like it, you don't feel like you HAVE to shower as you do with bug spray... eww... that stuff feels so gross and you don't get the cross-contamination of touching your face and getting it on your fingers and hands and then touching your mouth or eyes.

You might feel the bugs ping off you, but it works awesome!!! It lasts for several hours I've found. If you are sweating, maybe 2 to 3 hours.

I don't think we have ever had an issue with mosq. at WDW We live in S Fl and go 5 + times a year. Allergies maybe, but not bugs. We go Sept-Oct-Dec each yr-no trouble. If you want to put on both I would put the sunscren on first.

This is good to know!!! Love all the responses, but really good to hear from somebody in FL!!! I will investigate the bug spray options and put the sunscreen on first. I've personally never had a problem with bites, but if WDW puts the alerts in the rooms as another poster mentioned, I definitely want to have something on hand for everyone. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mosquito!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have horrible reactions to bug bites so I use an Off! clip on fan, it's AWESOME!!!! Used it for camping last weekend, the skeeters were out but not on me. :) Other's in our group used bug spray but I just used the fan and it worked great.

I heard Bounce dryer sheets work if you put them in your pocket.

I haven't tried it. We haven't had many mosquitos this year. I think I have had two bites so far, usually they love me.

We use J/A/S/O/N brand 'Quit Buggin Me' - its natural and work great in buggy new england on my little ones!! We love California Baby sunscreen too - but at 19$ for 3oz, it was breaking the bank. The new water babies Pure and Simple is very comparably rated by the erg and costs less than 10$ for 8+oz, so we have switched to that....we also use the slightly more chemical laden Blue Lizard Sport for water days - i like that it lasts 240 minutes in water where the others are only 80 minutes. So, I end up applying the chemicals much less frequently which I think makes it a wash!

One step ahead sells Organic Bite Blocker Insect Repellent Spray on their website. Like others have said, apply the sunscreen first then the insect repellent.

There are plenty of "organic" non-DEET options nowadays.

I've always had luck with Avon's Skin So Soft.

But like people said, in the parks and at the resorts it's not a huge problem, but I have been bitten near the water around the resorts and such.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter