• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

kids bringing their own sand and beach toys- Should you do it?

amtmommy

Mouseketeer
I have heard from many that it is suggested to bring your sand and beach toys. I wasn't planning on bringing them because I thought my DD would have plenty to do without them.

But I keep reading from Disney Cruise Vetrans to have them on your packing list.

Where are they most handy to have.

The only reason I am hesitant is I think they are usually cumbersome to pack.
Thanks

I thought they would be cumbersome also but I packed "stuff" inside them and they really don't take up that much room at all. I put socks inside the buckets and sand sifter. The shovel fits inside my DH's shoes (he has big feet). I bought those squishy water bomb balls and smashed them down and put them inside my shoes.

Be creative!!! You would be suprized what you can fit in those suitcases!!!

I'm can't remember if beach toys are available on the ship, but they're available at most if not, all, the ports.

Yes, the mark-up might be a little high, but worth it if you don't want to pack them.

It's what we've done on our beach vacations, then we just toss them out before going home.

Pack them...very expensive on the Cay - like $10 for a bucket shovel and sifter! There are some sand toys available, and we discovered that a lot of kids were very good sharers (we didn't have our own), so if you don't have them, you will probably do fine.

There are other options. Shirley of the Perfect Gift will use a sand bucket as the basket in a gift basket. Pricier than buying the bucket on the island by $20 or so, but your kids get to walk into the stateroom with presents, and Shirley will fill the bucket with juice boxes and snacks and stuff.

Or, if you are driving, swing by Wal Mart and buy them on your way. Cheap at Wal Mart, in Florida sold year round (never occurred to this Minnesotan that they'd do that, but it makes sense). Then you can leave them behind on the boat if you don't want to pack them home.

They are handiest at the beach (the Cay or other beaches you go to). The sand there is ideal for sand toys, and even my "about to grow gills" children didn't spend all their time IN the water. For the five and under set, access to sand toys (the DCL ones, shared ones or your own) is very important.

I brought sand toys for my dd6 and never regreted it. They really came in handy. She played with them whenever she wasnt in the water at CC and we also did a beach day in St. Maarten. I think my dh had as much fun with them as she did, they made sand castles together and he also made her into a sand mermaid. It was very cute.

I packed the kid's sand toys in their beach backpacks & planned to have them wear them onboard but DH decided that we didn't need them when he brought the carry ons from the car. :rolleyes: We didn't do any beach days except at CC and when I checked DS into the club there, they offered us toys to borrow for DD. It worked out great for us.

We forgot to bring ours on the 2/28 Magic and I was so sorry. We bought a bucket, shovel, sifter and some sand molds for $16.00. OUCH! Oh well, it was vacation. If you can pack some, do. You will save a few bucks!::yes::

We found a bucket and shovel at a little toy store on the french side of St. Maarten for a couple of dollars. It was easier than trying to pack it and then we left in on CC.

Originally posted by Mickeyhugger
I'm can't remember if beach toys are available on the ship, but they're available at most if not, all, the ports.

Yes, the mark-up might be a little high, but worth it if you don't want to pack them.

It's what we've done on our beach vacations, then we just toss them out before going home.

I bring ours and leave them in the trash cans when we are done! That way we have room for our souveniers and that huge towel from CC!

Rae

I've never brought any beach toys for my kids because they have them available at Scuttles Cove on Castaway Cay to use free for the day. Just return them when you are done. Sometimes the selection isn't the best, though. Last time the counselor had to scramble around but brought us a pail and shovel to use.

Just a suggestion, but if you want to be sure of what you're getting and if you have other beach excursions planned, it would be best to bring your own!

Julie
:earsgirl:

If you possibly have room to bring them I'd suggest it! When we went to Scuttles on CC to borrow them they were all gone and my 3 yr old was upset so I ended up buying him a set at the She Sells store. Of course there weren't enough for all 3 kids so I bought 2 sets total. I think they cost me about 40 dollars for the 2 sets..but I did bring them home! For that price no way was I going to leave them behind. This time we will for sure bring them with us from home! It didnt even enter my brain that the ones on CC would all be gone but they were. If you really think your kids will want them I'd figure out a way to bring some with you or at the very least get some on your way to the port or at your first port of call.

Heidi

Why would you throw them in a trash can? Would Disney not allow you to donate them to their collection for loaning out to the children on CC? It seems sucha waste to simply throw them away!!

Originally posted by EmmasGrammy
Why would you throw them in a trash can? Would Disney not allow you to donate them to their collection for loaning out to the children on CC? It seems sucha waste to simply throw them away!!

I asked the same question!!! Makes sense doesn't it?! BUT since they sell this type of merchandise at CC, they don't want to have it available for free!!

I buy things on sale at the end of the year and save them for the cruise - that way it isn't so hard on the pocketbook. I have taken some back but the problem is getting things dry and having the space to put them back into suitcases AFTER buying souveniers.

Too bad we can't set up a little stand outside the Port and say, "Free beach toys to use during your cruise, but please return for other guests afterwards!!"

This time around I am having Shirley at THE PERFECT GIFT make up a sandpail gift for Michael with snacks inside! She does great work and it will be a nice surprise for him!

Rae

I spoke with someone on our cruise 2 weeks ago and said that there was a Dollar Store on Sr. Maarten (Philipsburg, I think) where she picked up some sand toys.

Denae

Originally posted by amtmommy
I have heard from many that it is suggested to bring your sand and beach toys.
Thanks
Beach toys, sure...sand?....No. There's plenty at CC.

We always bring at least one suitcase full of sand in case we can not dock at CC - LOL. - Mike

I think we did bring home a whole suitcase of sand. I thought I had rinsed everything off well but there was still a lot left when I unpacked. Happy memories!

Denae

I agree MICKEYBOAT - Seems like we always bring some sand home with us. - Mike

WEll, we did not bring sand toys, but ended up with some before the cruise anyway. We did the Land/Sea and stayed at the Poly. The first night, we had dinner at O'hana and my two older kids got the huge snowcone in the sandbucket dessert. (Comes with a shovel too) Then, the last day, I found buckets with a shovel in the store at the Poly for 99cents!! I couldn't believe it! A bargain at Disney! So, I figured, the older two had theirs--and that dessert was like $5--so the littlest one better have one too. We just put them in a plastic bag to carry on to the ship and then we did leave them at CC. I knew I didn't want to bring home sand and we already have plenty of sandbox toys at home!

If you do want to keep them, you might want to write your last name on them or something. We go to a lake resort every summer and we use a Sharpie to mark our beach toys. One of ours did disappear partway through the day.(At CC) There was a little girl playing with it and then all of a sudden she was gone and so was our bucket and shovel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter