kids bed time

dsneybride

Mouseketeer
I was recently talking with a friend when she asked me what time my kids go to bed. I told her dd3 goes at 7 and dd7 goes at 8. She was shocked and said why so early. I dont think its early. What time do your kids go to bed?

I think those sound like very reasonable bedtimes for those ages. My kids went to bed at 7pm until they were about 5 or 6. We increased it by 30 min. for a while and then by age 7 or 8 they were going to bed at 8pm. They do well with an early bedtime because they have to be up at 6:30 to get ready for school.

Our kids (now 9 & 12) went to bed by 8 p.m. until DD was 11. Now they both go to bed at 9 p.m. May sound a little unfair that son got to move up with DD, but she has always needed more sleep, he seems to do find with less. And if he IS tired, he will just announce "I'm going to bed" and head upstairs or fall asleep on the couch. He's always been more laid back than big sis.
I think we are a rare breed, though. Most of the parents I know would agree with your friend and think these bedtimes are early. I have a friend whose 3yo is routinely up until 10 p.m. I also know a lot of folks who feel 4 is old enough to give up naps, but my kids took naps until they went to kindergarten at 5.5 and 6.

DD is 7 and in second grade and bedtime is 9pm this year, 8:30 last year. But We don't have to be at the bus stop until 8:45 am so I purposely moved back her bedtime so she would sleep later (7:20 wake up instead of 6:30).

Our kids (now 9 & 12) went to bed by 8 p.m. until DD was 11. Now they both go to bed at 9 p.m. May sound a little unfair that son got to move up with DD, but she has always needed more sleep, he seems to do find with less. And if he IS tired, he will just announce "I'm going to bed" and head upstairs or fall asleep on the couch. He's always been more laid back than big sis.
I think we are a rare breed, though. Most of the parents I know would agree with your friend and think these bedtimes are early. I have a friend whose 3yo is routinely up until 10 p.m. I also know a lot of folks who feel 4 is old enough to give up naps, but my kids took naps until they went to kindergarten at 5.5 and 6.

Ya, I have other friends that their5 or 6 yr olds are up till 10 or 11, thats just crazy to me! I need MY time!! I guess if this works for me then thats all that matters!!

I'm not surprised that people thought it was early. My kids have always gone to bed the earliest out of all my friends and neighbors. They are 6 and 7 now and go to bed at 8:00 (although by the time the whole routine is over it is usually 8:20 or so), but I can bump it back to 8:00 exactly when necessary.

And my kids go to bed CLOSE to that time most days even in the summer (if we're doing stuff they can and do stay up til 9:00-ish some nights). Lots of kids are still running around outside by the time they're in bed around here.

And we go to friends' houses for adult nights and leave the kids home with a sitter only to have their kids hanging around with us until 11:00pm.

I love that my kids go to bed early and I have some 'me' time in the evenings. OR time with my dh :). Or time with friends to enjoy a glass of wine when they come over.

Of course, my kids never sleep in until 8:00 either so that's what all the late night parents have all over me!

Early! My DS is up before 6 every day, no matter when he goes to sleep, so he's in bed by 7:30 at the latest, often closer to 6:30. He gets SO tired by the end of the week, he needs it! The girls go down around the same time, between 6:30 and 7:30, though often the older 2 or just DS are up an extra 15 min or so after the baby/girls to read some extra books.

My kids are early risers & have been forever. My middle DD slept until 7:30 or 8 for a time, but stopped that at the same time she stopped napping just before she was 3. DS has ALWAYS been a 5 am kid, even as a newborn. And my 18 month old is often awake before 6 am as well. She still naps at least though!! Anyway, early bed is the only thing that works for us. We've tried adjusting their schedules back in the summer when we'd really like to keep them up a little later, but they simply lose sleep because they don't adjust their wake up times no matter when they go to bed!

My kids are the same way!! The later they stay up the less sleep they get. So both, ds4 and dd18 months, are in bed by 7:30pm every night. Sometimes 7pm. My dd 18 months wakes up by 6am and takes a nap (hour and a half) midday. My ds4 doesnt nap so he sleeps in more..usually until 8am. Next year should be fun when I'll have to wake him up to start Pre-K;) I think the later my kids stay up the earlier they wake up so bedtime is like a religion in our house and very much a part of the routine!!!

I think it is totally up to the parents and what kind of person they are. I am not a morning person I am a night person. My kids have always been up late since babies. Of course I never had any kids up at 5:30 or 6 either. All that matters is they are getting enough sleep whether it is 8PM to 6 AM or 10 PM to 8 AM. I just wish everyone would just stop saying my way is better-which not necessarily saying the OP did, but does tend to be the my kids are in bed by 8 and it is crazy that yours aren't group. My kids always went to bed about 10 in elementary school and however late they wanted in high school.

And my kids are those kids running around outside at 9 or later in the summer, I mean how else do you catch lightning bugs or look for falling stars?

My DS, 6 goes to bed at 7-7:30. His bus gets here at 6:30 am, so if I let him stay up late he will be a grump the next day. My DS, 1.5 goes down around 6:30-7.

Of course, on vacation it is another story alltogether :)

I'm with most of the earlier posts, my kids are early to bed too and always have been! My oldest (6.5) is in bed by 7:30 otherwise he is too tired in the morning. My youngest I try to start heading to bed at 6:30, although he's been a pain in the butt lately about bedtime. They are both 12 hour sleepers, so usually up between 7 and 7:30, sometimes earlier. The little guy still naps mid day too for about 2 hours.

I remember quite clearly a few summers ago before my divorce, my ex and I were lying in bed around 10pm, still slightly light outside, our kids having been in bed for hours, yet we could still hear kids outside playing on our street. Both of us looked at eachother and said "there is something seriously wrong with this picture"! :rotfl:

Well.....I have to admit that since going back to work full time, my children have been up later and later. My youngest just turned 7 and I try very hard to get her into bed by 8:30, but it is usually closer to 9. My other two 10 and 12 stay up later, more like 10 for the 10 year old and 10:30ish for my 12 year old. My kids do not get up as early as lots of others, but I'm dragging them out of bed at 7:45 everyday. My older two kids would do better sleeping all morning and staying up late. The youngest sleeps until 8:30ish when able to. Now, when my kids were younger they went to bed very early. My 10 year old dd has always loved sleeping. She would go to bed at 7:00 and sleep until 8 (or sometimes later) the next day, and take at least a two hour nap. My youngest didn't sleep through the night until she was 3 or so. She wouldn't cry or need us, just wake up and talk and laugh with herself for sometimes 2 hours. Thus, she slept late to make up for that. I LOVED that me time in the evenings. I miss it!!

I think it totally depends on your children and your schedule. My 16 year old hasnt had a set bedtime since she was 7 or 8 and even then it wasnt early. She has never needed much sleep and was always very responsible and quiet. If she went to bed (even at 7) before 10 pm she would be up at 4am. Now, my 13 year old and my 6 year old both have a set bedtime, they need a minimum of 10-12 hrs sleep each night. I am sure it sucks to be a teen and have to be told to go to bed by 9pm but if she doesnt she cant get up and do what needs to be done the next day without an attitude. I truly dont believe there is a set age when bedtimes should be changed. It really does depend on the childs needs. A kid who has to be up at 6 am might need to go to bed alot earlier than one who doesnt have to be up till 8.

It really depends on the night, but normally I like to have my DD (4) in bed by 7:30. On Mondays though I watch my niece until around 9:30 so DD is up a little later. I have to have DD at school and me to work before 7:30am so we have early mornings. I on the other hand am up all hours of the night. Tonight I will be up late finishing up some last minute packing since we leave tomorrow :cool1::yay::yay::yay:

DS goes between 830 and 9. DD goes between 9 and 930 depending on what her schedules is. Mondays a little later due to girl scouts till 8 pm

DD7's bedtime is 8pm. She gave up naps by 18 months and has always needed 10-11 hours of sleep per night. I'm a bit more lenient on the weekends and summer time. Her bedtime is earlier than most kids she knows, but I'm ok with that.

We always get the same reply from our friends on how early our kids go to bed. My DS4 is in bed at 7:30 and DS8 usually down between 8-8:30. My DH and I need to get our downtime every night. We are in bed by 10 so 1.5 to 2 hours of us time seems reasonable.

DS9 I try to have in bed by 8:30 and lights out by 9. This does not always happen like tonight for example. I work so don't pick up son from aftercare until 5:15. He did not finish his math homework there he was having a little trouble. Went to cub scouts from 6:30 to 7:30. Came home had dinner, finished homework and took a shower. By that time it was 9:30. We let him stay up a little later on the weekends and on vacation at Disney of course! I think each child is individual and you just have to figure out what works best for them (and you). My DS averages about 9 1/2 hrs no matter what time he goes to sleep.

I have 3 kids 14, 11 and 8 and they all go to bed at 9:rotfl: Only on school nights. I need my down time:happytv: My oldest just studies, reads or listens to music until about 10. Of course I would let her stay up later if she wanted but she has to be up by 6:15 so she's tired. On the weekends I don't really bother them about going to bed unless it's really late(midnight) They usually all fall asleep by 11 on Fri and Sat. I'm a night owl and would much prefer to stay up late and sleep late!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter