Kids and weddings, weddings and kids...my childish vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you have "why does cousin ... get to be in the wedding party and I don't? "

Denise in MI

I totally understand this. I have 2 boys, 5 & 7, and I just learned another family wedding will include girl in our family who is 5, and I am sure my kids will not be included. It sounds like your child is well-behaved (or you would have suspected why he was excluded) but it does sounds like if it is your brother's brother-in-law, you could say to your son, "Well, Uncle Groom IS a part of family, but he is what we call 'related by marriage,' and since (explain relation to brother/brother in law) is his closer relative. They see each other more often (or have the same granparents...something like that) and at a wedding, sometimes you can only have SOME people you love, not EVERYBODY you love, so they are only having a few kids, not ALL of the kids they like and love. There isn't room for them all, and wedding usually go after bedtime, so it isn't really a kid's party, it is more like church, and a break, and a fancy dinner party."

Do the bride & groom come to your kid's school plays or birthday parties? Have they ever babysat for you? Are you close enough (in another situation) to leave your child with them for 48 hours? These are ways to talk to your child about what "close, close family" is so he doesn't feel blown off. Your son is cousins with someone who is related to this couple.

You might also tell him that you are not 100% sure you are going, because you don't know if you can find a babysitter that can stay with him for so long, and you might not have fun, because you'd miss him. (Sounds like the truth.) You can also tell him, if you want, that while it looks like a fun party, you really like to go to parties where the whole family is going, because you prefer family fun. (Sounds like that would be true, and you can put some of it on the table without being super gossipy).

When we had our wedding, I was teaching and my students were old enough to drive. They lovingly threatened to crash my weddding (I taught kids with behavioral issues-they were fun and spontaneous). We wrote "adults only reception" on the invite and made a point of making a reference to the cocktail hour time to make it clear that we couldn't accommodate younger kids except the bridal party. I had to really focus on the elegant thing because we couldn't afford the 40% increase in cost if we opened it up to whole families, and there were people for work and from school that I didnt invite because we had to sent a limit somewhere, so having a cousin's kid, and not someone who I saw every day was odd. One family member was very put out, and let me know. We had provided a list of hotels in a few price ranges, and one had a conceirge who could arrange for sitters, if needed. If she had brought her kids, it would have cost me $600 to make it work. They declined the invitation in the end. Another member of this family tried to "show me" by writing in more distant members of their family, to whom nobody spoke, as their "plus one." My mother in law took that on. I don't know what she said but she squashed it, and said something like, "There is a reason that nobody wants her at the party, and you know what it is." (I still don't know what it is). What was strange was that these were people who never called me on the phone to see how I was. Didn't know what I did for a living, didn't know my address but they were mad at me. I told my mom that I didn't feel bad about not inviting people who couldn't pick me out of a police line up.

It sounds like your feelings are really hurt, because this is a pattern of behavior in your family. But this bride and groom didn't start the pattern. They made a choice (which may not be the right choice, but they made it) and it reminds you of all these other choices that happened probably before the couple even met.
I had that too, and it only go better this year. The way I handled the "my brother and my brother's offspring, are treated like gold and my kids get bread crumbs," is by talking to my brother about it. I found out that my brother's "attention" was not what he wanted-he's shy and wondered why he was always thrust into these awkward situations that are hard for him. It was liberating to hear. Not sure why I felt better hearing that he wasn't getting everything he wanted out of his role made me feel better, but it did. I wasn't feeling slighted as he was spoiled. The attention we got just didn't fit either of us. He's asked to take on responsibilities and calls me to say, "I have no freaking idea what to do here." We are better friends, and honestly, that is the one relationship here really worth investing in (not the in laws/2nd generation/aunts & uncles). Plus, your kid, who you respect and love.

As an adult, you don't have to attend. You can send a note (and this is what we do) that says, "I am so happy for you. Unfortunately, we won't be able to attend. Hubby, kid, and I wish you the best. Please send a copy of your wedding photo for our family album." Your family is what it is, and your life right now includes the fact you have a kid who may make it harder for you to participate in some social things. If it is close by, you could also say, "We plan to attend the church service (if it is separate) but wanted to let you know that we won't be able to attend the reception. (The one time we were able to bring a kid to a family wedding, we had to leave early because he got sick, so none of us ate our $300 worth of food. My parents stayed at the wedding instead of offering to take care of my kid at their house, where I was staying, because they didn't want to miss a chance to drive my brother back to the hotel, in case he needed a ride after having a few beers).

We don't take our kids to weddings. That usually means we don't go. We take them to family reunion type parties, but often it is for families we've chosen to make our own, now that we are wiser. You may be headed in that direction. Worth doing some soul-searching about,because how your kid feels about these situations will be based a lot on cues he picks up from you.

Again, though, I am sorry, sincerely, that you keep getting hurt. A good book is "Why Do I Love These People." I bought it for someone in my family, who totally missed the point, but you might get something out of it.

My wedding was 270 people at a fancy catering hall. No kids, not even DH'S niece and nephew. My SIL was thrilled to have a night out with no kids. I was certainly not being selfish and hateful. Kids are just not usually included in weddings around here. Even if they are in the bridal party a lot of times they leave after pictures.[/QUOTE]

My cousin's wife thanked me profusely for not having kids at our wedding, because if I had given them the choice, she would have looked like a jerk (to her own mother in law) for leaving hers at home.

It was not a perspective I thought of at the time, but she was gushing.

Here's the thing. When one person plans on bringing their child, and word gets out, pretty soon everyone feels that it is okay to bring their child. If your kid gets to come, then it is just going to be another person who gets their feelings hurt. I have several friends who invited us to their weddings, but not dd. I wasn't hurt, nor did I have any desire to take dd. Many of my friends didn't invite kids to the wedding simply to keep cost down. Heck, one of my friend's got married before I had dd, I was single at the time, and she told me I couldn't even bring a date! (I was single so I didn't mind) It is much cheaper to invite Mr. and Mrs. John Doe than it is to invite Mr. and Mrs. John Doe and their five kids. My rule of thumb when it comes to weddings is who the invitation is addressed indicates who is invited.

To Jane Doe (only Jane is invited no guest)
To Jane Doe and guest (Jane can brign a date)
To Mr and Mrs Doe (only the couple is invited, no kids)
To the Doe family, (the Doe children are welcome)

But would you invite the whole soccer team and leave out one child? I wouldn't. To, me, iti s the same thing as inviting awhole family, but excluding a child.
Using your analogy:
Well if you don't want to leave out one person and you are inviting the whole soccer team, then would you make your daughter invite the soccer COACH? The coach might feel left out if he/she was not invited to your child's party. Oh wait...it's a child's party and the coach is an adult. Just like a THIS particular wedding is an adult's party and the OP's son is a child. If it's not appropriate to invite the coach, why is it inappropriate to notinvite the child?

My dad's stock answer to when I would ask why I wasn't invited to the wedding when my older sisters were(I was little, didn't know the rules that I talked about in above post):

"because you're not" and that was the end of the conversation!:rotfl:

I have no problems with folks having childless weddings, with a couple disclaimers......

1) If it's a destination wedding, I think the whole family, kids and all should be invited.

2) If you are having a childless wedding, it should be CHILDLESS. These folks including a 3 and 5 year old in the ceremony means it is NOT a childless wedding. Come one, come all.[/QUOTE]

My friend had an over the top expensive wedding. She had to pay 250 dollars a person no matter their age for the reception. There was only two children there, her son and her nephew. I can understand why she didn't invite families. I say if you have a wedding it is your choice on who to invite. Just as it is your choice whether or not to attend the wedding.

Just want to chime in and say "Epic Thread",everybody! I've been very entertained.Continue on...

Yes, I think it is a bit selfish and hateful to say only part of a family is welcome at a family function. As I said before, YMMV but this is how I feel about it.
But it is NOT a family function. It is an adult function in which two children happen to have integral "acting" type roles and therefore must be included.

It is sort of like when my son was in a production of Pippin when he was 7 or 8 (can't remember now :rotfl:). It is NOT a kids' show at all, so no other kids were around at rehearsals, on stage or at the cast party. SOME shows that group did were very family friendly and then the cast parties tended to be for teh whole family. THIS was not a family show, even though a child was involved. As in integral part of the production, DS was a part of the parties too, but no other children were invited. WHY? Because it was an adult function. As is this wedding. It is about two adults getting married and they want to share that with their adult family and friends in an adult party. Nothing wrong with that.
Because the cousin who is no more a relation to the bride or groom will be there who is also 5. So how is it's only for grown ups going to seem reasonable to the child?

Denise in MI
Like others said, if the mother presents it as reasonable it will seem reasonable. Just tell the child the cousin in in the wedding party and he is not then move on with your day like it is no big deal, because, well, it is NOT a big deal.

"She has a job in the wedding." Again, he's five. He's only going to care or find it unusual he's not invited if the adult involved (the OP) makes it seem unusual. Kids aren't invited, it's a grownup wedding, she's going to hold the flowers for them, they just needed one girl for that job. That's that.

Kids don't come with some inherent knowledge of weddings, they know what they learn from the adults around them at five. He hasn't read Emily Post, though if he had, he'd be fine with it as there's no etiquette breach.

And, as others have pointed out, it doesn't have to seem reasonable to him. He's not invited. Probably not the first time he won't be invited somewhere, won't be the last. He should learn now.
:thumbsup2
"Suzzy Que and Jimmy are participating in the wedding, but no other kids are allowed to go. Bummer, huh? When they get back from their honeymoon, let's take them out to a special dinner, just us and them, at your favorite restaurant to celebrate their big day. Sound like fun? Yay! Now, let's go play with trucks."

I really suggest you try to let it go, be happy for them, and enjoy a wonderful Christmas with these people you supposedly really care about.
:thumbsup2

Using your analogy:
Well if you don't want to leave out one person and you are inviting the whole soccer team, then would you make your daughter invite the soccer COACH? The coach might feel left out if he/she was not invited to your child's party. Oh wait...it's a child's party and the coach is an adult. Just like a THIS particular wedding is an adult's party and the OP's son is a child. If it's not appropriate to invite the coach, why is it inappropriate to notinvite the child?

Geez now you're leaving out parents. And what about siblings? Heck if you only want Suzy that's just TFB because Suzy's little brother, big sister and mom and dad want to come to the birthday party too. After all - it doesn't matter if the birthday girl does not want to celebrate with Suzy's parents. It's a family affair so the whole family goes.:cheer2:

I have no problems with folks having childless weddings, with a couple disclaimers......

1) If it's a destination wedding, I think the whole family, kids and all should be invited.

2) If you are having a childless wedding, it should be CHILDLESS. These folks including a 3 and 5 year old in the ceremony means it is NOT a childless wedding. Come one, come all.[/QUOTE]

My friend had an over the top expensive wedding. She had to pay 250 dollars a person no matter their age for the reception. There was only two children there, her son and her nephew. I can understand why she didn't invite families. I say if you have a wedding it is your choice on who to invite. Just as it is your choice whether or not to attend the wedding.

Totally understand all of that. Their choice. In my family a wedding celebration with all the family is more important than the decision of which family members are worth a $250 meal and which aren't.

Totally understand all of that. Their choice. In my family a wedding celebration with all the family is more important than the decision of which family members are worth a $250 meal and which aren't.

If that works for your family members, great. But when you are paying the $250 per person for all those extra children, you can decide that. If I'm paying for the party, I get to choose if those kids are worth the $250 each. And with lots of little kids in my family and the fact that the money tree in my back yard recently was taken out by Hurricaine Irene, I know what I'd be choosing. I love the kids in my family, but not enough to buy them a $250 dollar (or even a $50) plate of chicken nuggets and fries. And nobody else in my family would expect me to pay it, either.

When I married my ex, we made it an adult only event. It was late (7pm start). My ExBIL and SIL had an infant daughter at the time. Rather than heed our wishes, they brought the baby anyway (even though the SIL's parents offered to babysit). It cried through the ceremony and then my BIL had the gall to ask us to turn the music down at the reception because it was keeping the baby awake.

I told him no way, and he went to the DJ and told the DJ to turn the music down. Luckily the DJ came to me and asked me what I wanted him to do. I told him to keep playing the music the way it was and exBIL and his wife sat there staring daggers at everyone on the dance floor all night.

Exactly, that is YOUR family. Some people do not want a bunch of kids at their wedding, OR they are trying to keep costs down, and don't want a bunch of kids at their wedding. Two of the reaons my friend didn't invite children. DD has been to one wedding because she was invited. I have been to at least 5 weddings since dd was born that she wasn't invited, and all of them had kids at the wedding. It didn't bother me at all that my friend's niece, who was the flower girl, was at the wedding, and not my kid. Here is my thing. If it is my wedding, and I am paying for it, I will invite who and want, and if the person I invite has a problem with it, they don't have to go. I can understand that the OP is hurt because her niece is invited but her son is not. BUT it isn't her wedding! She can either go without her son, or not go at all.

OMG...Again. Most of the people on this thread are beyond words. Maybe it's because I lived and was raised in California, I don't know.

I had a wedding that my husband and I paid for...We got got invite who we wanted to. Being that we were in our '20's, we didn't want little children there, so we didn"t invite them.

We had a great wedding, with a lot of people who felt comfortable leaving their "little precious darlings" in the care of others. Unlike most of the people on this thread.

Mainly, reading this thread has made me SO GLAD I am not from the midwest or the South. You women are all stuck with your children, frying chicken dinners for your husbands, and have no idea how the real world lives. Get over it, there is a life beyond children, and you just need to find it.

This thread makes me so happy about how anti-drama my family is! :laughing: I'm inviting children to my destination wedding in May, mostly because I feel obligated as I'm having my (then) 18 month old nephew come & be the ring bearer. Luckily most of my family members have decided to leave their children at home - with the exception of my 8 year old cousin, who gets everything her little heart desires. :rolleyes: But, my wedding will be a little more "adult" themed - on a cruise ship, with lots of boozin' and grubbin'. :woohoo: So I'm thinking my family members' decision to leave their kids at home is probably more for them and not me, haha.

OMG...Again. Most of the people on this thread are beyond words. Maybe it's because I lived and was raised in California, I don't know.

I had a wedding that my husband and I paid for...We got got invite who we wanted to. Being that we were in our '20's, we didn't want little children there, so we didn"t invite them.

We had a great wedding, with a lot of people who felt comfortable leaving their "little precious darlings" in the care of others. Unlike most of the people on this thread.

Mainly, reading this thread has made me SO GLAD I am not from the midwest or the South. You women are all stuck with your children, frying chicken dinners for your husbands, and have no idea how the real world lives. Get over it, there is a life beyond children, and you just need to find it.

Actually, if you read this thread, you would find that 1) most people here disagree with the OP and 2) many people from the South and midwest disagree with the OP (who is not from the United States).

Lovely. :sad2: You do of course realize that the South and midwest actually are part of the real world, don't you? You are painting midwesterners and Southerners with an awfully broad brush there.

Did you actually read the thread? Many of the people in this thread - including posters from the South:scared1: - actually seem to agree that the couple should invite who they want and they don't have to invite kids if they don't want to.

If that works for your family members, great. But when you are paying the $250 per person for all those extra children, you can decide that. If I'm paying for the party, I get to choose if those kids are worth the $250 each. And with lots of little kids in my family and the fact that the money tree in my back yard recently was taken out by Hurricaine Irene, I know what I'd be choosing. I love the kids in my family, but not enough to buy them a $250 dollar (or even a $50) plate of chicken nuggets and fries. And nobody else in my family would expect me to pay it, either.

Let me repeat......If people want to exclude kids and have a childless wedding, I think that's a great idea and a great way to have a wedding. My ONLY problem was that they ARE inviting TWO children, but excluding others.

Make it one way or the other.

Well, I'm from Chicago - the midwest you know, and I've obviously responded like you have.

By the way, I've met more conservative types that you are describing who are from California than most other places I've been, California can be pretty "backwoods" if you aren't in the big cities...ask my boyfriend, he's from there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter