• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids and toys and limited space in campers

ChristusG

DIS Veteran
For those of you who camp with children, how many toys do you allow them to take? We have a pop up so we are very limited on space. We'll be headed down to Disney in 10 days and we'll be staying for 8 nights. We have three park days and the rest are campground days mixed in with some shopping, mini golf, etc. So we'll be in the campground quite a bit. My kids (who are 5 and 2) are the type who feel like the need to pack the whole playroom and every stuffed animal to go on vacation. Of course, we certainly cannot handle anywhere near that in our camper LOL. How many and what kind of toys do you allow your kids to bring when camping (especailly in such small quarters)?

For those of you who camp with children, how many toys do you allow them to take? We have a pop up so we are very limited on space. We'll be headed down to Disney in 10 days and we'll be staying for 8 nights. We have three park days and the rest are campground days mixed in with some shopping, mini golf, etc. So we'll be in the campground quite a bit. My kids (who are 5 and 2) are the type who feel like the need to pack the whole playroom and every stuffed animal to go on vacation. Of course, we certainly cannot handle anywhere near that in our camper LOL. How many and what kind of toys do you allow your kids to bring when camping (especailly in such small quarters)?

We have more room in the TT than you do in the pup, but we tent camped for years, and space was at a premium. I let the kids have 1 stuffed animal/snuggle buddy. We take as any games, etc as will fit in the space under one of the dinette seats, our designated game cabinet (when tenting we used a storage well in the minivan). Scooters, b-balls, etc get stuffed in the "basement" under the back bunk, which has an outside access.

You just have to decide what storage space can be allocated to games and toys, and let them share it. Good luck, I know the dilemma.

We have 4 kids and a pop up and will pretty much be doing our trip to the fort just like you...a few park days and the rest at the campground. This is what we will do/have done. I have allocated space in the camper for each of the kids clothes/stuff. If it fits in there, they can bring it otherwise it stays home. They can bring their blanket and that doesn't count towards their space, as they usually lay on top of the bed ends when we fold up.
We have found that they really don't play with house toys that they bring, books yes, coloring stuff yes, games yes...especially if the weather is bad. I like to make sure we have plenty of outside toys etc...that is more important to us.

If you don't have a dedicated space, you might try this. Pick out a plastic storage container that you think is a reasonable size and tell them that anything they plan to bring needs to fit in that. That is what my parents did with us when we camped with our pop up when I was a kid. You can either leave everything in that container or repack it into your pop up in the space you have left.

My concern is for the car trip, and all the junk they want to bring in the car. I am going to get 4 containers that will fit between all their seats and whatever they can fit in those, they can bring.

2 other ideas for organizing your stuff while camping...I bought a hanging shoe organizer and found a place to hang it in the camper...it's great place to stash little toys, flashlights, sunscreen even hats. The other thing I got were a cople of those pop up hampers...we use them for all our shoes and leave it outside the camper door...and also they are great for throwing toys into.

HTH

Give them both a space/box/rubbermaid container to fill with anything they want. If it doesn't fit in space it stays home,

Help them select things for that limited space that are appropriate to the outside area around the camper. Keep in mind there is lots to do and great areas to explore at the campgound that doesn't require "stuff". It's a good time to encourage their imagination. Another issue is all the "stuff" they will see and just HAVE TO HAVE at the various gift shops. Give them a strict budget (dollars and size) and as firmly as you can, stick to it. Also, stay out fo the gift/toys stores as much as you can, especially when they are tired and might get upset if that perfect toy doesn't fit in the budget.

I also give each of my kids a rubbermaid tub. Then I each child to fill it with with the toys they want to bring. This makes my children really "weigh" the value of each toy. Of course I bring bikes and a few family board games, and some movies as well.

I like the idea of the rubbermaid containers! We already use rubbermaid containers for our clothes....each family member has one container that all of their clothes must fit into. If something does not fit, we will just need to wash clothes while we are there.

I'll probably be getting a rubbermaid bin for their toys.....then they can go to town with the packing LOL. As long as the lid will close.

We have a PUP and 2 kids. We allow them to bring 1 backpack in the van to keep them busy of their choice of items. In the PUP we have one rubbermaid container that fits under the bench seat where we keep toys they can only play with when we're camping.....puzzles, travel games, small playsets, blocks, etc....

We use a bucket style cloth bag for each kid. I think it is easier to store than plastic bins. You can cram them wherever.

All great idea! We have a 2 yo old and a 6 month old. At two I have found that she does not think about her choices completely and just tends to choose what is "on top" of her room pile. So I try to help her pick toys/books/etc that I know she truely plays with alot as well as what will fit in the alotted space.

Also remembering to leave room for toys and items you will pick up while at Disney are important. We not only set a cash limit but also a "camper room" limit for each child.

Enjoy!

We have a PUP too and I have a 10 year old and a 6 year old and they both have a scooter and a bike, plus beach toys (for beach trips) For inside, electronic hand held (Leapster, Nintendo DS) for riding and for rainy days. When it is not raining my kids stay out until dark. I do keep some travel games in the camper, Sorry, Connect 4, and Guess Who, they are small and everyone can play. My daughter (6 year old) has to have a stuffed animal, and they both carry notebooks to write in, color in, etc. and each has a pillow and a blanket. My kids do not give me a hard time with wanting to carry stuff, I guess that is a good thing. I also try to have toys that they have not seen yet so they don't get bored. :thumbsup2

Susan

We have limited transport capacity when we camp.

DH just took our two girls and they just brough their scooters.

For our family, the experience at the Fort is enough entertainment.

For an extended stay we might bring a *little* bit more--but in our experience, even at state parks, it all stayed packed away unused.

Right now we have a 9, 7, and 2yo.

I stand corrected, they did bring their DS's as tomorrow is DD's b-day and since I couldn't travel, she opened her gifts today and is enjoying her new DS.

Except for a baby who might need more "sanitary/portable" entertainment--I guess we are bad parents b/c we just don't worry about the toys.

--I guess we are bad parents b/c we just don't worry about the toys.

No, Lisa, you are not being BAD parents... you are being PARENTS. You are nurturing your children's imaginations and sense of adventure. You realize that sometimes the fun is in the box and not what's inside. Good for you!:cheer2:

There is a travel DVD, just in case of a rain day.

Otherwise it’s normally a small kids back pack and what they can fit inside.

We also keep an assortment of cars, coloring books/crayons, balls. At FW, there tons of sticks, salamanders and armadillos. We normally pick up one or two toys at the park after they have been through the shops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter