Kids and Rollercoasters

talie95

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone. We're going to DL in Oct. and it'll be my older dd's 2nd trip but the 1st time she's going to be tall enough for all the coasters (except Indy). She's 4 1/2 years old and 41 inches. Anyway, she's really excited about being able to go on everything but I worry that she might still be scared once we actually go on the ride. I was wondering what your experiences have been with kids 1st time on a coaster. I know some kids are more adventurous than others but just curious what it was like.

My DD was tall enough for Space Mountain on our last trip. She is pretty timid about the unknown. She did it, came off crying, and then after about 20 minutes wanted to go again....and again...and again. I think it was just the initial feeling of not knowing what to expect, but it's now her favorite ride two trips later at 5 years old!!

She may be scared once you get on, and that's okay. If she's excited, just remind her to try it once, if she doesn't like it she will never have to go on it again. I tell my DD that all the time, it gets her to try things knowing that I give her the power to make the decision if she goes on it again or not. We haven't had one yet (TOT included!) that she did not want to go back on.

Have a great trip, it's a whole new world once they can ride the "big ones"~

Andrea

With the exception of Space Mountain, kids can take a look at the coaster from outside and get a feel for it. My nieces were five for our last trip and loved Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain. Mullholland Madness and Matterhorn one liked the other didn't. But neither one of those scared the one to the point she was so miserable or frightened she hated it. I agree with Matterhorn, the thought process before the ride is sometimes the worst part for everyone!

Amy & Dan, isn't that funny? It's like I feel bad, I don't really "make" her go on the ride, but I do prompt her only because I know her and I know she would love it! Now she's hooked!

No DL for you till June 2007? We were there at almost the same time in June, crowds were a little high for my taste. All hail the off season!!

Andrea

talie95 said:
Hello everyone. We're going to DL in Oct. and it'll be my older dd's 2nd trip but the 1st time she's going to be tall enough for all the coasters (except Indy). She's 4 1/2 years old and 41 inches. Anyway, she's really excited about being able to go on everything but I worry that she might still be scared once we actually go on the ride. I was wondering what your experiences have been with kids 1st time on a coaster. I know some kids are more adventurous than others but just curious what it was like.

MY son was just 5 on his first trip. He couldn't get enough. The faster the better. I took him to my local park here in Santa Clara Great America. It has a 4 loop coaster the Demon. LOVES IT!! Maybe it's a boy thing. For Jeff the scary rides are more of an issue. Didn't like HM....

MATTERHORN said:
Amy & Dan, isn't that funny? It's like I feel bad, I don't really "make" her go on the ride, but I do prompt her only because I know her and I know she would love it! Now she's hooked!

No DL for you till June 2007? We were there at almost the same time in June, crowds were a little high for my taste. All hail the off season!!

Andrea

My worst mom moment came when I bribed my son to ride California Screamin! It was our second trip to DL, he was 9, he had wanted to ride so bad because a friend from school had made fun of him for not riding on our last trip (they had ridden it before). Then he decided not to, I knew he would love it and I told him if he rode it and hated it, I would give him $20, I was that certain he would have fun! It was the last day of our trip, he got on, he was scared but excited. 10 seconds in he yelled "Thank you Mommy, you can keep your twenty bucks". We rode it about five more times that day!

Yep, no DL until June 2007, gotta take my cruise and go to WDW at Christmas first! Its killing me though to wait that long. I need to live closer to some sort of Disney park! And my son is no longer on year round schooling, so our off season trips come to an end. That is after I pull him and sis out for a week to go on the cruise when its dirt cheap in September!

LOL..... :rotfl2: My mom paid me to go on Big Thunder when I was little. I did NOT want to go on it. I still am not a big roller coaster fan, but can handle Big Thunder now. I hated it and was scared to death when I went on it with her! As soon as we got off I was saying how I'd never go on it again and demanding my money...which I think was ten dollars.

If memory serves...I think I was actually crying I was so scared! LOL What a big baby I was! My older son was four years old when he went on it the first time. I was cringing the whole time, stomach dropping, and he was laughing hysterically with his arms up having the time of his life!

I guess you're either a roller coaster person or you're not! :sunny:

To be honest if they are close in height it might be up to the ride operator. I took my neice on Star Tours - she was fine. Few hours later, different employee and told she was too short.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter