• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids and missing school?

In Ohio no problems...

in GA it is crazy!!! The teachers themselves had no problems at all... it is the school district itself.
our kids are allowed 10 days sick every year...
well around the 7th sick day you get a letter stating they are going to turn you into CPS. and every absence after that you get the letter.
I said bring it on. ( our district gets money based on attendance.)
Needless to say CPS never showed up at our house.

If your child goes to an out of area school. They have to have a 95% attendance rate and can only be late 5 times and they cannot ride the bus. For example ride the bus from school to grandparents house

No. BUT, I think that they should have 'allowable amount of time' for vacations and things like that. BECAUSE there are families that pull their kids out for vacations several times a year, and that is A LOT of extra work for the teachers!

Now, don't get me wrong. If a child is doing poorly in school, I do NOT believe taking them on vacation is doing them any good. "Hey kid, you're not doing well- so lets reward you by taking you out of class and going on vacation."

I have sisters-in law that are teachers. They've NEVER minded kids in their class missing school for a week or so to go on vacations. In fact, for a lot of kids- they LEARN A LOT while on vacation...AND they learn in different ways than just sitting in a classroom hearing people talk, they gain life experiances.

Where I do have problems is the parents that take their kids on vacation and then they turn around and ACT LIKE IT'S the TEACHERS fault if the kids aren't getting better grades for the time that they are gone! That is unacceptable. If a kid does poorly on his/her assignments over the missed school time, then it's the kids and parents fault. It is NOT the teachers!

One of my SIL's has twins in her classroom- the parents of those twins are HORRIBLE. They'd gone on TWO vacations already before Christmas and missed 8 days one time and 11 days the next time. Both kids are "C" and "B" students. They got a lot of homework sent home to work on and my SIL said if there were any questions, to e-mail her or she would even allow them to visit her durring her regular after school classroom hours to get help with anything from when they were gone.

Both kids turned in most of their homework, a few sheets were missing and some sheets were 1/2 done or done very poorly. She asked them if they could stay after school any night for the next week and she'd help them with the missing sheets AND to finish up the 1/2 done sheets.

One of the kids told her- I'm done with all my home work, grade it as is.
The other said nothing.

She graded the papers as they had handed them in, she gave them each zero's for the papers they didn't hand in. She told them AGAIN that she'd grade the 'Zero's' papers if they handed them in and she'd help them.

About two weeks later, she got a FURIOUS CALL from their mom! This mom YELLED and CUSSED her out for giving her kids Zero's on assignments. My SIL could not get a word in at all and the mom said "You and me will be having a meeting with the principal!" and hung up the phone.

The meeting with the principal had a lot of the same screaming and cussing from the mom- because the teacher said she gave the kids time to work on it, offered her help and told them when she was available (EVERY SINGLE DAY after school for 2 1/2 hours each day)...

That mom still blames my SIL for her kids bad report cards that 1/2 of the year.

AND, my SIL just got another e-mail telling her that her twins would be missing school again for 9 days in March. She sent a nasty letter to the school board saying that her kids should be 'excused from those assignments, because they learn more on vacation than they do in the classroom'...IT DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT.

My SIL was teacher of the year this year, so we all know that she is a great teacher. Some parents just can't accept the fact that they cannot be dragging their kids out of school SEVERAL times during the year for vacations when the kids did what they did for the first vacations they went on.

It is unacceptable to blame the teacher for poor homework and not turning things in if she offers to help AND the kids/parents refuse to take it.

It is unacceptable to blame the teacher for poor homework and not turning things in if she offers to help AND the kids/parents refuse to take it.

Couldn't agree more. When I let my son's teachers know about us being gone, usually a month in advance, I also make it clear that if they have makeup work they would like to give him either before or after his absence then that is very much appreciated, but that in NO way do I expect them to provide that, and that my son is prepared to take the grade hit if need be. He just tries to do extra credit ahead of time and go into the trip with a cushion, if possible.

If a child is hospitalized or recuperating from an injury or whatever, then I would hope that teachers would do everything they could to help the child make up missed work. But going on vacation is my *choice* (sort of -- we couldn't afford to go at peak times) and it soooo not the teacher's job to cater to us like that.

No. I'm in CA and as long as you apply for Independent study they don't care. My son was 5 when I took him out for a 2 week cruise. Taking him out didn't work out well though for us. It took him a month to reacclimatize to the school environment. He's only in kindergarten but the emotional and behavioral aftermath made taking him out a mistake.

I'm in California too, and I think to be more clear, there are ways in some districts that you can take a child out, but you need to check that out and set it up BEFORE you book the cruise.

The police here once a semester do truancy sweeps, and you have 20 of the usual stereotyped uncaring drug addict parents picked up, and one parent who took their child out of school for a vacation. While the penalty can be 1 year in jail and a $10,000 fine, most first time offenders get a $100 fine and have to do 40 hours of community service.

I know some parents who put their kids in private school to get around that, but now the organizations that accredit private schools say that is no longer acceptable, so they are in the same boat as public school parents.

In Texas, you get sent a formal letter to meet with a judge and you will be fined. It brings a criminal record. Another reason i Homeschool...

We homeschool our son as well. We also live in Texas and a judge gave our neighbors the choice of who spent the night in jail. The mom did, (husband made more money) lost her job and now home schools all 3 of their kids.

I live in Texas, and we have pulled DS out for several years now. We get a nasti-gram from the district saying that they can prosecute, but they never do. What district did this occur in?? --Katie

My DS is 10, the only thing I pay attention to is his testing schedule for standardized tests. I have done well to book 2wks prior to schools here (Bama RTR) letting out for summer. Our NYE cruise will of course be during their winter break. I don't ask for permission from the school, I request the extended absentee form and fill it out earlier (as soon as I've booked), his absence for the week is completely excused. His teachers have only asked that he have fun, take lots of pics and journal his experience for himself and maybe to share if he'd like with the class! Our school district is very supportive of family time! Tonight was declared a homework free night due to the big game! And we never have homework on Wednesday's because it's when most families attend Bible study! Gotta love the Deep South! Where Football & God reign supreme! ;)

We live in a little BFE town in Ohio, and our principal is great.Rogan has had trouble with her tonsils since kindergarten. She has missed 2 weeks of school every year since then(now in the 4th grade) because of sickness...she would just catch everything, plus we go on vacation for a week every year, That's 3 weeks of school shes missed every year since kindergarten. BUT, she's a straight A student even though she misses that much school. I've asked the principal if he thinks it's ok, he feels it's important for ALL children to experience travel and going to different places in the world.(She did finally get her tonsills and adenoids? removed and hasn't been sick since then.:cool1:) . Some children just seem to have a hard time in school by no fault of their own, it just happens sometimes. I don't think they should be punished by not going on vacation if their lucky enough to go. I would take them anyway. It's a good memory,that last's a lifetime.I myself would go to jail to let them experiece different cultures and experiences. I think it's sad that some parent have to do that though.

Teacher weighing in here.

I teach middle school, which honestly, is the gateway to high school. Especially once kids hit 8th grade, expectations and workloads are higher. In my district, a student has to be absent 10 consecutive days before being reported to the social worker.

In November, I had a student warn me he would be out for 3 weeks while his family visited Mexico. I warned him that he was responsible for making up the work. He never did, and was only mildly concerned that he failed the class as result. My school does not make exceptions for extended vacations like that, so his absences were recorded as unexcused.

I urge any parent, regardless of their child's grade, to evaluate the maturity level and academic level of their child before making a decision to take them out of school for an extended period. At least as far as the teachers are concerned, likely they won't give grief as long as the child makes up the work. Because at my school, it is my responsibility to make sure that an absent child makes up the work. If the child elects not to do it, then it's my fault and I am penalized. It's unfair to the child to double their workload, but it triples my workload when I have to go out of my way to accommodate a student who took a vacation outside of break. The teacher part of the equation is easily forgotten when this topic pops every month on these boards. All these teachers who just wave and say "have fun" certainly do not work at my school. I'll wave, but I'll also say, "make up your work!"

My kids will miss 4 days around spring break - we hadn't intended it, but the airfare for our family of 6 was literally $3000 cheaper!

But rest assured each of those kids will be making up ALL missed schoolwork!

Wish they would give us stuff to take with us, but they'll manage when we get back. Since DD11 will start Middle School next year, this will likely be the last year we will be able to do this.

kriswin1 said:
In Texas, you get sent a formal letter to meet with a judge and you will be fined. It brings a criminal record. Another reason i Homeschool...

That's CRAZY!!!!!!! WOW. Here in Toronto there are no penalties at all. Kids can miss as many days as they want. I don't know if private schools are any different thou. Im talking about catholic and public schools.

I do not think our school will have any issues... I was just wondering.. What others thought..thanks

Whoops don't know what happened there lol. But for me it's been easier to just take off the first few days from the start of the school year. He's still in elementary school so it's not a biggie. But when he hits MS I'm going to need to get creative lol

I am taking my dd out for Europe for 5 days the last day of school. She is MY daughter and as HER parent I will do what is in her best interest. Going to Europe and receiving a first hand history lesson is so much better than the educational experience for the last week of school.

And as an aside. My mom always let me stay home when I wanted. It was never crazy or anything, but I did stay home on occasion. She always said family and yourself is more important than a required school day. Guess what? I went on to participate in 10 years past high school, residency,and then Army, so those absences did not affect me in a negative manner. I remember thise days with my mom, when i was "sick". Way more memorable than a forgettable school day. I love that when I drop my dd off and am asked for a doctors note, i stand there and write one. The look on their faces is priceless.

Point is school attendance is not related to school success. Family participation is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

our school district is pretty awesome, my kids get 10 excused vacation days per school year. thank goodness for me because I am a heat & crowd wimp and our trips are always during the school year. their teachers have always given us their missed work ahead of time which is great and we work on it while on vacation :)

Magic3forme said:
in GA it is crazy!!! The teachers themselves had no problems at all... it is the school district itself.
our kids are allowed 10 days sick every year...
well around the 7th sick day you get a letter stating they are going to turn you into CPS. and every absence after that you get the letter.
I said bring it on. ( our district gets money based on attendance.)
Needless to say CPS never showed up at our house.

Which district in GA? My DD starts in Gwinnett Co. for fall 2013.

Here in KY, I have never heard of it being a major issue, at least at the elem. level. There is actually a form that parents can fill out that shows the educational impact the trip can have, with a part where students can write a report about what they learned (A great idea I think) However here, as a teacher, it is frowned upon to take off for a personal vacation which I can understand considering we have a week off for fall break, week off for spring break and the entire summer off. Unfortunately, it is hard to find decent prices during these times so I rarely get discounted prices when traveling!

My son missed school last year for the cruise and the school wasn't upset. We actually brought a letter about why he missed school, and what he learned. We made it funny, starting out We as a group as you to excuse the days missed during (the time we were gone)...
He will learn... Time management waiting in the lines at Disney, How the ocean looks up close and 10 stories high on the cruise ship.. We went on with things that we thought were great in the letter. Then we got Mickey to sign 3 copies of it and gave it to the teacher, principal and counselor! They all loved it.
I'm going to take him out again this year, but haven't informed them. He has missed a lot of school, but they are all medical excuses, so this will be the only time that isn't medical... but we need it!

newmommie77 said:
I am taking my dd out for Europe for 5 days the last day of school. She is MY daughter and as HER parent I will do what is in her best interest. Going to Europe and receiving a first hand history lesson is so much better than the educational experience for the last week of school.

And as an aside. My mom always let me stay home when I wanted. It was never crazy or anything, but I did stay home on occasion. She always said family and yourself is more important than a required school day. Guess what? I went on to participate in 10 years past high school, residency,and then Army, so those absences did not affect me in a negative manner. I remember thise days with my mom, when i was "sick". Way more memorable than a forgettable school day. I love that when I drop my dd off and am asked for a doctors note, i stand there and write one. The look on their faces is priceless.

Point is school attendance is not related to school success. Family participation is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter