Kids activities for plane rides?

EmilyJ517

Mouseketeer
We have about a 3 hour flight to Orlando and my kids are usually pretty good, but I'm wondering what other people pack to keep kids entertained on the plane or in the car? My kids are 2 and 4 and I usually bring snacks, a new small coloring/sticker book, their leap pads, and maybe a new small toy(this year they are each getting a small race car/character from wreck it ralph). I've gone overboard buying new things in the past but quickly learned that my kids would come to expect new stuff every time so m trying to cut back but still keep them entertained.

Any other ideas?? :)

Hi there,

We flew JetBlue and each seat had a working TV with some children's programming. It was AWESOME! If not, I had the portable DVD player, the iTouch, my iPhone and a Nintendo DS for back-up.

As for non-tech ideas. We get the monthly highlights magazines, so we held onto them and "saved" them for the ride. We also had a few coloring books, a mini etch-sketch (where we sometimes practice letters/numbers), some soft cover books, and snacks. I also had the Unofficial Guide's Color Guidebook Companion (or some title like this), so we could look at the pictures of the rides and try to pick out which rides we'd try first.

Best of luck on your flight! Happy planning!

My ipad/iphone seem to be the best entertainment. Longer trips I take the portable DVD player, but usually skip it for the 2 hour flight to WDW.

I've taken other things, but they usually go unused. Sometimes a new book if I can find one that I think will take awhile to read. He's not big on coloring so that doesn't work. Or stickers.

Snacks, of course. An overabundance of snacks, lol. Usually things that he only gets on special occasions.

We have about a 3 hour flight to Orlando and my kids are usually pretty good, but I'm wondering what other people pack to keep kids entertained on the plane or in the car? My kids are 2 and 4 and I usually bring snacks, a new small coloring/sticker book, their leap pads, and maybe a new small toy(this year they are each getting a small race car/character from wreck it ralph). I've gone overboard buying new things in the past but quickly learned that my kids would come to expect new stuff every time so m trying to cut back but still keep them entertained.

Any other ideas?? :)

Our flights are bout 3 hours as well. Do you have an Ipad or laptop that you can bring? We usually download a couple of movies for the kids to watch. They have headphones so it does not disturb others and it really keeps them entertained. We also always brought activity or coloring books.

DS around age 5/6 actually used my Ipod and would fall asleep listening to the music for a while.

I know it's buying something, but kids love Wiki Stix. The are like pipe cleaners that stick together.

My daughters birthday is the day after we arrive, so her party is the day before we leave lol.

I bought her this for her birthday..

Disney_Encyclopedia.jpg

We will look through it on the plane & go over the characters she isn't to familiar with. I also got her 2 princess coloring packs from the dollar section at target. I will prob add a disney movie or two to my IPad & that's it. She will be leaving her leappad & DS at home.. I'm not sure if ill allow her to bring her IPod or not.

As others have stated, movies are your best friend. My dd will usually watch one movie on the plane. The rest of the time we read, read and read. I also pack fun snacks that she doesn't eat at home. This trip it was suckers. It was great because 1 sucker lasted 30 minutes and that is a lot of quiet time.

I have two that are 4 and one that is two :thumbsup2

We mainly bring what you mentioned. I've also had luck convencing the older ones that hate to nap that the plane is a perfect place to nap.

Suckers are a must have because they can help them if their ears need to pop. My kids never drink soda, so I let them have Ginger Ale on the plane, that entertains them. I also take snack food that they don't normally eat so it is more of a treat.

I put away the LeapPads about a month before the flight and put a couple of new games on them. That way they are long lost toys when we go. We usually get a new small doll (not Barbie sized, but they have the mini LaLa Loopsies or something of that size).

I download a new movie that they haven't seen yet.

I've been bringing my son since he was 2 and packed a variety of things from books to porrtable games to matchbox cars, etc. But I find the best thing is a tablet...we download a couple of new videos for the plane ride and maybe a new game app or two and he spends the majroity of the trip watching shows or playing his favorite games. I have an activity book or something for when electronic devices can't be used.

Also favorite snacks and definately something to help with ear popping on takeoff and landing - for DS we bring his favorite lollipops.

Also, if your plane has the individual inflight TVs - that's great - well worth the $5 - $6 fee. We usually fly United from NY and don't always get the individual TVS, but when we do...it's GREAT! Just make sure to bring along coinforatble headphones for your kids to use with the devices.

A flight to WDW for us is really short so no biggie at all but we have family 8 hours away that we make that drive for pretty regularly so we have become pros:) Electronics are your friend. They have been the best thing for us since about age 2-3. We limit these at home, so on a trip, not to be really limited is huge. At 2-4 we had the leap stuff. Now he has a DS3, but prefers our iphones or pad. Soooo many apps out there, both fun and educational. Remember, electronics are a no go for take off and landing. SNACKS....things that are fun and take a while to eat. Treats are great but don't over do something that they are not used to and end up feeling yucky. Target has really cute mickey shaped mini fruit and cheese or veggie and dip trays that would be really cute and fun and healthy. A few true treats, M&M, and take time to sort and count them, a sucker or even gum for the older two. I like disposable travel entertainment, a magazine or two (kids or a parenting type with lots of kids in it), a page of stickers they can stick all over them, you etc., a roll of masking tape (same idea), all can be tossed at the end of the trip. BOOKS...we read a lot when we travel. Either a larger multiple story book or a lot of paper back books are best. We hit the library before we go. We have lost a couple over the years but still much cheaper to replace than buy all the new ones and the kids loved having new stories.
Color wonder stuff is wonderful too. We even finger paint in the car with it but not a good idea on a plane.....could not get through security. Three hours is easy....you will be fine.

Bring your kids their own earphones :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 for in-flight movies and iPhone/iPad. There were a few kids on our flights where their parents weren't making them wear them :confused3 So inconsiderate.

We brought a few sticker books :thumbsup2 My 3 year old loved them and was entertained for a few hours.

& gum :thumbsup2 Helped with their ears when we were landing.

do not start ipads or movies bfore takeoff as they have to be turned off for takeoff and landings. nothing is worse than getting child settled watching and having to put away. traytables have to be put up also so no coloring. also plan on chids items to fit under seat in front of you instead of overhead that you might not be able to get to. yes get child used to using earphones.

How about some silly putty....let them make different things. I am flying for the first time with 10 year old and a 6 year old. Neither have flown before so this should be interesting.

* portable DVD player -- bad news is the takeoff and landing turn off which can be hard to comprehend for young kids
* coloring books, crayons, magic wonder stuff, etc.
* books
* small toys or games
* just looking out the window

I don't allow my family to bring electronics on vacation, so I've always relied on craft store supplies to keep them busy on the plane. Here are some ideas my kids liked when they were younger:

*an assortment of pipe cleaners
*flat buttons and beads (things that won't roll)
*an hourglass-style egg timer

Your kids can make games (tic-tac-toe, pig) out of these supplies. They can also create hats and jewelry. My kids loved having "art museum" races. We'd turn the timer, someone would name an object, character, or animal, and we'd race to build our best representation of it. When the timer ran out, we'd compare creations.

*small Lego sets
*minature etch-a-sketches
*dollar store cards and games (I found Disney themed Old-maids and magnetic checkers boards there)

*blank books...encourage the kids to journal their trip, starting with the plane ride. Provide colored pencils so they can draw the inside of the plane, the view from the window, etc.

Stationery: Encourage them to use their time on the plane to compose a letter to their favorite character. Little ones can draw pictures. Take these letters along to the park and have your kiddos deliver them in person.

A small favorite toy from home, to create their own "The Adventures of..." book...and a couple of disposable cameras per kid. Encourage your kiddo to carry the camera and toy in their fanny pack, and take photos of the toy several times each day, with a fun new background each time. When you get home, you can use these to create a book about your trip. Begin the photos on the plane ride!

Books...I always have my kids bring along two or three books. When they were small, I helped them choose favorite books that would be comforting to have in a strange new place. As they got older, I allowed them to purchase new books that would keep them occupied on the plane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter