Kidney Stone Question?

Mom-to-2-Princesses

Lovin' It!
Hi -- I spent yesterday in the ER with dreadful pain and was diagnosed with a 3mm stone. They sent me home with meds to pass it. I'm drinking tons of water. Any advice or tips? How soon from when you were diagnosed did it pass?

This is not fun.

Thanks!

I had one, but it was too large to pass. I was home for two weeks in between the ER visit and the surgery to break up the stone. But, once it was broken up, the pieces passed easily within a day or two. Other people I know have passed a stone within 2-3 days of an ER visit. By the time you end up in the ER, the stone is usually in the ureters, not your kidney. Water should flush it to the bladder and the pain won't be nearly as intense. Hope you pass it soon!

DD had a stone back in May, and it took a couple of weeks before she passed it, along with a visit to the ER for pain relief. She had pain off and on during the two weeks. Most times it was fairly severe pain. Stones are nasty!

Someone told me that if you drink water with real lemon juice in it, that it will help with stones. That if you develop stones, the lemon juice helps to make the stones that do form, smooth rather than jagged and pointy. It's the jagged, pointy ones that cause the most pain.

Good luck, op. I hope you can pass it quickly. :hug:

DD had a stone back in May, and it took a couple of weeks before she passed it, along with a visit to the ER for pain relief. She had pain off and on during the two weeks. Most times it was fairly severe pain. Stones are nasty!

Someone told me that if you drink water with real lemon juice in it, that it will help with stones. That if you develop stones, the lemon juice helps to make the stones that do form, smooth rather than jagged and pointy. It's the jagged, pointy ones that cause the most pain.

I was going to say lemonade--from past posts that is what comes up most often. The acid in the lemons helps break up the stones and helps prevent them from forming.

I was going to say lemonade--from past posts that is what comes up most often. The acid in the lemons helps break up the stones and helps prevent them from forming.

Ah, I wasn't sure exactly how that worked, but what you said makes sense. All I know is that the guy who told me about it, hasn't had ANY kidney stone problems since he started drinking lemon water, and that's been about 3 years ago.

Hi -- I spent yesterday in the ER with dreadful pain and was diagnosed with a 3mm stone. They sent me home with meds to pass it. I'm drinking tons of water. Any advice or tips? How soon from when you were diagnosed did it pass?

This is not fun.

Thanks!

Float your kidneys.... Be ready for pain equivalent to child birth

BTW, my stone was 1.2 CM

I had one, but it was too large to pass. I was home for two weeks in between the ER visit and the surgery to break up the stone. But, once it was broken up, the pieces passed easily within a day or two. Other people I know have passed a stone within 2-3 days of an ER visit. By the time you end up in the ER, the stone is usually in the ureters, not your kidney. Water should flush it to the bladder and the pain won't be nearly as intense. Hope you pass it soon!

Yes, I found out today that it is in the ureters. I will keep my fingers crossed on the 2-3 days. I'm sorry your case was so bad.

Drink tons of beer instead of tons of water. You'll pee like mad and it will ease the pain.

:rotfl2: Don't make me laugh, it hurts my side! My doctor must have met you because I was told no alcohol, soda pop, or chocolate. I told him I must have misheard him on the chocolate!

So what do people do? I am fortunate that I am a stay-at-home mom with friends to drive my girls around. Today I NEEDED the vicodin -- and then I couldn't drive, etc. I am sooo afraid of the pain that I had yesterday and how it affected me that I think I am going to be a hermit.

Ah, I wasn't sure exactly how that worked, but what you said makes sense. All I know is that the guy who told me about it, hasn't had ANY kidney stone problems since he started drinking lemon water, and that's been about 3 years ago.

Thanks to ALL of you that mentioned the lemons, I just asked my husband to bring some home. :thumbsup2

:rotfl2: Don't make me laugh, it hurts my side! My doctor must have met you because I was told no alcohol, soda pop, or chocolate. I told him I must have misheard him on the chocolate!

I was told to give up spinach also.

No spinach - no problem.

No chocolate - big problem. I'm having trouble sticking with that one.

Float your kidneys.... Be ready for pain equivalent to child birth

BTW, my stone was 1.2 CM

You passed a 1.2 cm. stone? Usually anything over 6 mm won't pass. I have had multiple stones (currently have 3 lurking in my kidneys) and multiple lithotripsies and stents. After the lithotipsies, the fragments usually passed with moderate discomfort ( dulled, of course, by percocet.). I have done several 24 hour urine tests, stopped caffeine, tea in particular, drink lemon water all the time (approx. 100 ounces of water a day), got a septic infection from damage done by a passing stone..and my body still makes those nasty stones.
I thought the pain before the stones passed or were lithotripsies was worse than any of my 5 childbirth experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter