Kidney Donation - Advice / Experience?

frndshpcptn

<font color=blue>Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our ve
It looks like we are moving ahead with a living kidney donation to a family member this month. We will be at Mayo in MN.

Has anyone been through this type of experience and have any advice or words of wisdom / comfort as we approach the surgery?

We are flying in from the East Coast for the procedure.

thank you

Our son's ex-gf did this for her Mom. So far, so good with her Mom keeping the kidney (still FB friends with them). Not sure I can offer any advice really other than travel info at Mayo. I travel to Mayo from out of state to dr there as well.

Thanks for replying.

I'm worried about the donor's recovery and any longer term complications. But thinking positive.

Any travel tips to the area would be much appreciated. We are flying in to MSP.

Hi there! My nephew was the recipient of a kidney from a family member 5 years ago, both did wonderfully! What a wonderful thing you are doing! Also I live in Rochester, MN so if you have any questions I would gladly help as best I can.

Thanks for replying.

I'm worried about the donor's recovery and any longer term complications. But thinking positive.

Any travel tips to the area would be much appreciated. We are flying in to MSP.

There are shuttles you can take from the airport to Rochester. Mayo has them listed on their site. If you plan to rent a car, it's an easy hop down Highway 52 to get to Rochester. Do you know where you are staying while you are there (hotel)? I like to stay at the Brentwood. They have "suites" for longer stays and they are connected to the clinic via the tunnels. Which hospital will you be at? If you are at St. Mary's and not at the main campus, there are several hotels right across the street from St. Mary's too. Every hotel has a free shuttle to the Mayo buildings too so if you are staying farther away (cheaper) but still in Rochester, it's easy to get around town. If you haven't booked your flights yet, there is an airport in Rochester.

There are shuttles you can take from the airport to Rochester. Mayo has them listed on their site. If you plan to rent a car, it's an easy hop down Highway 52 to get to Rochester. Do you know where you are staying while you are there (hotel)? I like to stay at the Brentwood. They have "suites" for longer stays and they are connected to the clinic via the tunnels. Which hospital will you be at? If you are at St. Mary's and not at the main campus, there are several hotels right across the street from St. Mary's too. Every hotel has a free shuttle to the Mayo buildings too so if you are staying farther away (cheaper) but still in Rochester, it's easy to get around town.

We were planning to stay at the Marriott. Do you know anything about that hotel?

Hi there! My nephew was the recipient of a kidney from a family member 5 years ago, both did wonderfully! What a wonderful thing you are doing! Also I live in Rochester, MN so if you have any questions I would gladly help as best I can.

How cold is it there right now :)

How cold is it there right now :)

You don't want to know. LOL! Around zero, with a stiff wind. It was blizzard conditions yesterday but has improved a bit today. Roads still nasty and icy today.

Bring warm clothes. Although temperatures are supposed to moderate next week, and approach 30. Woohoo! LOL!

I'm anticipating not spending too much time outdoors!

Anything pre-or post-procedure I should keep in mind as it relates to the donation?

Yes - the Marriott downtown. I understand it connects to the hospital via an underground tunnel?

It looks like we are moving ahead with a living kidney donation to a family member this month. We will be at Mayo in MN.

Has anyone been through this type of experience and have any advice or words of wisdom / comfort as we approach the surgery?

We are flying in from the East Coast for the procedure.

thank you

I have no advise or experience wanted to say what a wonderful gift to give someone. Wishing you all the be of health for the new year!

I'm anticipating not spending too much time outdoors!

Anything pre-or post-procedure I should keep in mind as it relates to the donation?

Yes - the Marriott downtown. I understand it connects to the hospital via an underground tunnel?

Yes, it does so weather shouldn't be an issue. There are other hotels that do connect via the skyway or tunnel system as well so if you want to look at other options, they are there but the Marriott is very nice.

There is also a mall of sorts, the University Shops, connected via the skyway so you will have some places to go and eat if necessary. The hotel shuttle will take you door to door so that will help with weather if you are going to St. Mary's hospital. The other hospital, Methodist, is connected to the subway/skyway system.

If you haven't already, download the Mayo app for your phone and/or tablet. it is very handy for keeping track of all of your appointments, etc. It's connected to their online patient portal as well. I'm assuming you will have a few appointments for bloodwork and whatnot and when you check in, they will scan your itinerary barcode or ask you for your Mayo number. Its a very, very well organized process. I generally have 4-10+ appointments with various departments when I go so it's very helpful.

Oh, and you are always Mr. or Mrs or Miss whatever there so if you are not used to that, be ready.

Look on Facebook for the "Our Daddy Needs a Kidney" page. It is about one of our local police officers, who needed a kidney and a pic taken by a family friend went viral. The officer had a donation from a donor found through this page and it was successful. The donor was in Tx, we are in GA. The transplant happened at Emory.

Since Ofc. Calloway had his transplant, they have been featuring others who need kidneys. It has really raised live organ donation. The Ofc and his donor were featured on Dr. Oz recently too.

Ofc. Calloway and his donor are both back at work and doing very well!

What a wonderful thing. One of my very good friends donated a kidney to her sister last year (the surgery was also done at Mayo) Both are doing wonderfully now.

My husband donated one of his kidneys to me laparoscopically 13 years ago. 3 days after his surgery his was out fly fishing with his brother :love:

Your loved one will be sore and have some difficulty getting up to a sitting position in bed for about a week or two. I would tie a rope on to the headboard to help with this task.

My DH never complained about low energy after the surgery, but I would expect some lethargy. DH doesn't let moss grow under his feet:goodvibes

If you have any specific questions, let me know. I can answer based on my experience or ask DH.

It really is a selfless act that can't be appreciated enough. If it wasn't for DH, I wouldn't be here today (dialysis toward the end was becoming inefficient.)

Good luck!

Good Morning,

I am resting at home after receiving a kidney from my brother just last week. Surgery was at Mayo Jacksonville an everything went perfect. We are both in our 50s and planned for this for two years. My brother prepared over the last year by running, playing soccer, and biking. We checked in on Dec 30 and had surgery that morning. He was released on Jan 1, me on Jan 2. Fast!

He had pain for two days because they cut through his ab muscles. They had him up walking the first night. He used med meds only at night by day three. Walked upstairs after being released and spent the next three days touring st Augustine, going to the beach, shopping and visiting friends. He was released fully by Mayo Thursday and has returned home.

He is my hero and gave me the gift of life. Mayo was excellent and we could not have asked for better care. It was scary going in, but truly has been a life changing experience.

I wish you and your family all the best.

Scubamickey

Hi everyone - sorry for not responding sooner - was with family all weekend talking about plans for Mayo.

We are now looking at a few hotel options: the DoubleTree - Mayo Clinic Area, the Marriott and the Kahler Grand. Does anyone have thoughts on these? I'll be there for 8 nights, so want somewhere close to the hospital, clean, modern and comfortable.

I'll need to work remotely for a few days while there as well - so some place that has wifi / good signal.

Also - does anyone know if we will have a private room as the donor? Are there strict visiting hours? I'm planning to sit besides his bed all day / as much into the night as possible while he is in the hospital.

I used to live in MN, near Minneapolis. Every year around January 20-22, it used to get down to minus 20 to 30. Bring warm clothes and lots of 'em.

I used to live in MN, near Minneapolis. Every year around January 20-22, it used to get down to minus 20 to 30. Bring warm clothes and lots of 'em.

Stocked up on extra sweatpants and sweatshirts!

Do you know anything about the above mentioned hotels?

The Kahler is showing it's age, but there's nothing "wrong" with it per se. I don't know anything about the other two. I'd definitely look for something connected via tunnel or skyway to whichever hospital is involved. You won't want to be going out anymore than you have to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter