Kidani Village Rocked! Our Trip Report

Am I reading this right? - the storytelling is in the library and not around the outside firepit?:confused3
Thanks for posting the activities!!:thumbsup2

I didn't get a good photo of the firepit, but yes the story times are indoors in the library. Where the firepit is located outside there is not enough room to have a storytime.

In an upcoming report you'll see more animals. Other than between 9 and noon there were always animals. There seemed to be lots of them in the evening and it's almost like they rotated them somehow because you didn't see all the animals out there at the same time. On Sunday I got back from the MK at 2:30am and stepped out on the balcony and you could see many animals sleeping in the dim light.

While eating at Sanaa the big Ankole Cattle came walking past the windows. Those guys are a show stopper (yes, I stopped eating to watch them).

Thanks so much for the quick response. :goodvibes

How Wonderful! This is a great report. Congrats to you two. We wil be celebrating our 18th ann. and my birthday in June on our trip to kidani. We are taking our kids...... but you have all given me some inspiration to plan something alone. :goodvibes:goodvibes Loving the report and can't wait to see more!

And here is a photo of the animals you'll find on the Savanna:
disneymay09_20090506_0839.jpg

Wooooo Red River Hogs! I thought they weren't going to be out until the Pembe Savanna was open.

So, after checking out the room and unpacking we sat down on the balcony to enjoy the view and have a drink. After a little kissy face like high schoolers it was time to head down to the pool and enjoy some hot Florida sun. Our room was about a 1 minute away from the pool.

There were plenty of chairs available for us in the pool area. The area is beautifully themed and the slide is awesome. I saw some adults get some pretty good speed by the end of the slide that it ended up spining them around. Also, you'll want be sure to have some footwear to utilize because the pool deck becomes very hot during the mid-day sun. Here are some photos of the pool area:
Disneymay09_20090501_0729.jpg

Disneymay09_20090501_0732.jpg

Disneymay09_20090501_0730.jpg

Disneymay09_20090501_0731.jpg

Once Kidani Village is up to full capacity the pool is going to seem really small. While in the pool I counted 15 other people and couldn't imagine there being 50 people in there. It would be crazy.

Off to one side is the kids play area that is nicely themed. Here in Wisconisn we have some of the best waterparks around, so the kids area didn't WOW me like it has others. I was just thinking that in Florida, where it surface of the sun hot during summer, there should be a lot more water flying everywhere.
Disneymay09_20090501_0735.jpg

These floweres are hooked up to motion sensors so they spray as you walk by them:
Disneymay09_20090501_0736.jpg

Same with the snakes:
Disneymay09_20090501_0740.jpg

At one end there is a nice falls area and it has some water guns:
Disneymay09_20090501_0739.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of it, but on the other end there is a kids play area where they can climb and slide. It's where I took this picture from. Just be really careful though in this area. I didn't have shoes on and that ground was really really hot!! I can't imagine that during the summer at mid-day, it would be scorching especially since it's brown in color! (forgot to mention that in that little pool area you see see, there are pressure sensors built into ground that when stepped on send a jet of water in the air. They didn't quite have it right the first day and the water was getting shot about 20 feet up!! LOL The cast member I was talking to said, "That would really clean your backside". LOL)
Disneymay09_20090501_0737-1.jpg

At around 2 pm the recreation crew setup next to the pool for some activities. First up was dancing and then came Disney Trivia. My wife isn't so good at Disney trivia, but I'm good at it. Whoever wanted to play got a dry-erase board and a marker and could sit wherever they wanted to. They got going with the questions and some of them were hard, and some of them were easy. There was one lady there who knew everything... and I mean everything. In the end we finished third and won a Pictionary game set. Mrs. Knowitall ended up wining a Trivial Pursuit game.

After around 3.5 hours of lounging around the pool it was time to get my pasty body out of the sun. So we headed into the lobby area to do some looking around the resort.

More to come!!

Thanks for the wonderful report! It sounds like you and your sweetie had a wonderful trip! I can't wait to read and see more :thumbsup2

The pool area looks great. It sounds like they should have made the pool a bit bigger. If it gets too crowded we may just have to utilize our pool hopping powers :rotfl2:

Great Trip Report!:thumbsup2 Thanks for giving us a real feel for the resort. If the wife wasn't due with our third at the beginning of June, I'd be on the phone making ressies for a couples only trip.

I'm enjoying reading your report. Your trip sounds so special for the two of you. I hope you had a very Happy Anniversary and that your wife's birthday next week is wonderful.

Thanks for the picture and the report. I can't wait for more!

Every time I come on here and see an update, I feel like I got a little prize. :teeth:

thanks for the wonderful report! (keep writing) ;) :rotfl:

Oh, I should mention that we told the kids exactly where we were going and that is was for mommy and daddy to have some time alone and reconnect. Surprisingly both kids thought it was a good idea also and supported it 100%.

I wish I thought my two would feel that way (9 & 7)! I've been mentioning such a getaway to DH and he just thinks he'd feel way too guilty... Me on the other hand-- not so much!

Waiting for your next installment... :surfweb:

Thanks for the compliments everybody.

Looking over this trip report so far this has to feel like the longest first day ever!! Can't believe we are only half way through the first day. I'm sure it will speed up. We really did have a super-duper first day at Kidani.

So after lounging around the pool we had about an hour to wander around inside before we had to go up and get ready for our dinner at Sanaa. First place we went to was the lobby. Again, it's really really small when compared to Jambo, but that's how they wanted it. Plus it mimics a real safari house rather than a jumbo one. You just need to stop and look around and take in all the details, especially those lighting fixtures. Here is my wife in the lobby.

Disneymay09_20090501_0751.jpg

As you can see in the previous photos there are lots of African artifacts all over Kidani. Lots of neat stuff to stop and look at and much of it is explained.
Disneymay09_20090501_0760.jpg

Disneymay09_20090501_0770.jpg

Some of it is anatomically correct!
Disneymay09_20090501_0781.jpg

There are two observation decks on either side of the lobby where you can get a good view of the savanna and plunk yourself down in these big rocking chairs to rest your weary feet.
Disneymay09_20090501_0757.jpg

The view from that deck:
Disneymay09_20090501_0756.jpg

I absolutely love the design of the lobby from the outside with the large sweeping arches. It looks so beautiful.
Disneymay09_20090501_0759.jpg

Disneymay09_20090501_0765.jpg

And of course the stars of Kidani Village are the animals! Appears sometimes the animals need some coaxing to get them to move into more visible spots:
Disneymay09_20090501_0758.jpg

Love it!! These were taken from the patio around the firepit.
Disneymay09_20090501_0768.jpg

Disneymay09_20090501_0762.jpg

And more beautiful lighting fixtures:
Disneymay09_20090501_0764.jpg

Well, it was finally time for us to run up and get ready for dinner. On the way we ran into Jack from Allears.net who was there taking pictures and doing a review of the opening weekend. Supernice guy. He has tons of great pictures over on that sight.

More to follow!!

I read his entire blog... it was great!

But I'm loving your report and pix as well! :goodvibes It's really really important to get the guest's point of view!

I agree with your assessment of the Kidani Lobby... it's meant to feel more intimate. I think what it lacks in size (vs Jambo) it makes up for in details.

I cannot wait to see all this for myself!!

My kids are going to go wild over that pool and slide!! Thanks so much for the recommendation about the water shoes... I will definitely bring them for the whole family!! :thumbsup2

(Hope you didn't get sunburned!)

Kathy

Thank you Kathy!

As for burning myself I make sure to lather up with spf45 sun block. I actually had somebody at work ask me if I went to Florida because I had no deep dark tan. :laughing:

Good idea on the water shoes. You'll notice all the life guards stand on a little ledge that's in the water because the concrete is too hot.

Did you know that you cannot be within 6 feet of the pool with any drink? Including water!:lmao:

Great review and pics. It is really nice to see pics of our home away from home,especially since we will not be able to go down until next year. Congrats and hope you enjoyed your time there - sure looks like you did! :thumbsup2

I absolutely love trip reports with pictures! I get a great Disney fix!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter