Kidani, HRH & BLT in 6 nights- Yes! We are THAT crazy!Nov 04-10,2009 OBX 4/16/10

and I just have to celebrate - that was my 500th post - no more Mouseketeer!! LOL :)

HI- I am loving reading your report as well. I have always been very interested in Autism and I am impressed with how you handle things. It's true that God puts things on us that we can handle as you seem to handle it perfectly. I teach Kindergarten and my classroom is next door to our Autistic classroom. There are 3 boys in there. I adore their teacher as he is wonderful. He's worked with many different types of special education for the past 30 years, but this is his first Autistic class. I will have to tell him about the social stories as I know he'll want to use them. Thanks for sharing and I will keep reading!

Awwww love the start to your trip Ellen! :hug: The storybook is a wonderful idea and I am so happy that Sean acclimated to the change of plans. :goodvibes Loved the pictures of everyone at SE and then Sean at the end...pretty much sums it up :)
:yay: you were at Kidani! My favorite...well that and Jambo. I have a 1br for my May trip at Kidani :goodvibes :laughing: I never noticed the ceiling at Mara either. I am always staring at the food and pushing people out of my way for zebra domes! ;)
Thanks for the clarification of HRH! I didn't know what it was either hahahaha!! I never leave the bubble!
Tracy

I've worked in both private and public schools. I got my start at Eden Institute in Princeton. I am now in a public school district teaching a K-1 autistic class. They are pretty high-functioning, most with Asperger's. I'm glad the social stories work so well - such a great tool! Looking forward to the rest of your report. And I have to say, I have trouble going back to school after breaks too :rotfl:

and I just have to celebrate - that was my 500th post - no more Mouseketeer!! LOL :)

Eden is such an amazing school! What a great place to have started. We looked there for Sean- he was in a class like yours for pre-K to K here in town, and it was excellent. But then we looked out of district, feeling he needed more than what he'd get in the years to follow, and ended up at TCI.

And I think you're right- ALL of us have trouble going back after a break, LOL!! :rotfl: And CONGRATULATIONS, DIS vet! :goodvibes

HI- I am loving reading your report as well. I have always been very interested in Autism and I am impressed with how you handle things. It's true that God puts things on us that we can handle as you seem to handle it perfectly. I teach Kindergarten and my classroom is next door to our Autistic classroom. There are 3 boys in there. I adore their teacher as he is wonderful. He's worked with many different types of special education for the past 30 years, but this is his first Autistic class. I will have to tell him about the social stories as I know he'll want to use them. Thanks for sharing and I will keep reading!

Thanks so much! :goodvibes We really don't handle it perfectly, though. We second guess about 95% of what we do- and we have tried sooooooo many things over the years. What works for someone else's child doesn't neccessarily work for ours, and vice versa. But I think social stories work for most. :thumbsup2 So glad your neighboring classroom has such a good teacher to help them along!

Hellllloooooo?????? Are you there????

Awwww love the start to your trip Ellen! :hug: The storybook is a wonderful idea and I am so happy that Sean acclimated to the change of plans. :goodvibes Loved the pictures of everyone at SE and then Sean at the end...pretty much sums it up :)
:yay: you were at Kidani! My favorite...well that and Jambo. I have a 1br for my May trip at Kidani :goodvibes :laughing: I never noticed the ceiling at Mara either. I am always staring at the food and pushing people out of my way for zebra domes! ;)
Thanks for the clarification of HRH! I didn't know what it was either hahahaha!! I never leave the bubble!
Tracy

Hi Tracy!! You're going to love the 1 bdrm at Kidani- it was really awesome. I was so sad we had to leave it, I felt so at home there. It's very relaxing and beautiful. You and the zebra domes crack me up!! :rotfl:

And I don't like leaving the bubble, either, but Tyler & now Timmy love the rollercoasters there. But that's for later in the TR.....

I am so enjoying your trip report! Add me to the "happy tears" list - what a beautiful time to share with your family. :goodvibes

I also love the book idea! :thumbsup2 My DB has a sweet young son who is autistic. I will definitely pass that idea along. I have to say, one of my favorite pics is of the three of your boys looking at the fountain. it is just so sweet to me. Love the tie dies too! I am looking forward to your next installment!

Just wanna wish you and yours a HAPPY NEW YEAR Ellen.

Reading your reports has been one of true enjoyment this year. Thank you and I hope to read many more in the future!:thumbsup2

So, since so many people have commented on the tshirts, I thought I'd give a little backround and show our Christmas card this year (that was with the Photopass photo). I also posted this info in a response to someone else in the thread, so if you've already read this and I'm boring you I apologize! :flower3:

When we went to HHI 2 summers ago, Sean was not in a good place. That week he was supposed to go to sleepaway camp (that he had been to before, and loved) while we drove down to the Disney resort in HHI to meet family for 5 days. Well, Sean wouldn't get out of the van. And no cajoling, pleading or begging could change his mind. He was staying in the car, he wanted to go home. It was really, really horrible. A definite lowpoint in our autism adventure with Sean. Anyway, Sheree & Henry came at a moment's notice to stay with Sean (God Bless them, if I haven't said that enough) and the rest of us were on our way. Sad, disillusioned and frustrated, but on our way.

That week I made 4 Mickey Tie-Dyes for us to wear on the Disney Cruise we were taking in November (without Sean). As SOON as I finished, I realized :idea: I should have made one for Sean, too, even if he wasn't going on the cruise. DOH! After all, I did hope that SOMEDAY we would be able to get him to go to WDW with us again. Even if right at that point, none of us were too hopeful it would ever happen again. Well, of course the Cms let me make another one....

So, that we are all wearing the tshirts together, in WDW, and the tshirts were made with only a glimmer of hope, and the hope became reality that day- well, it really was just very, very meaningful. Happy New Year, everyone-

img001.jpg

Ahhhh...Club Cool...well known to DISers as the place you take people who AREN'T DISers to have a refreshing beverage called the Beverly. :crazy2: It never disappoints! :rotfl: Karajeboo's DD Ally did it to Pods back in September-

2009_100106summer0290-1.jpg

That photo never gets old- that's the second time I've posted it today!! :rotfl2: Anyway, on this trip there was only one shot for some Club Cool fun, my DS12, Tyler. I have posted these on facebook, and my friends have actually said, "I can't believe you did that to your baby!!" I'd like to show you, first, the baby to which they are referring...on his first trip to WDW, at 5 1/2 mos old (Sean was 3 1/2)-

His first Character meet- looks like I enjoyed torturing the little guy at an early age!!
img003.jpg

First time at Stormalong Bay with Daddy-
img004.jpg

At his first MK parade-
img002.jpg

And at LTT with a certain Mouse who wanted to take him home with her!
img005.jpg

Aren't baby boys great?? Ohh...I hate that they grow so fast. Except, it is nice that you can do so many fun things with them as they grow- like take them to Club Cool for a refreshing sodie-pop!! :rotfl: It's fun for the whole family!

Look kids!! It's Coca Cola from around the world!! Let's go Italian today!
2009_111006summer0025.jpg

What THE????
2009_111006summer0026.jpg

2009_111006summer0027.jpg

2009_111006summer0028.jpg

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: Well, looks like Club Cool is NOT fun for the WHOLE family!! :rotfl: After we all caught our breath from laughing so hard, we walked back across the park to go on TT...

2009_111006summer0030.jpg

2009_111006summer0034.jpg

Which was STILL having technical difficulties! Oh no! But Sean was still happy, so the other boys went to ride MS while Sean & I waited outside, Sean once again having the joy of running amuck in Epcot-

2009_111006summer0031.jpg

2009_111006summer0037.jpg

2009_111006summer0036.jpg

THIS- the allowing him space in places that weren't super crowded. and being able to let him burn off energy- THIS is one of the things that made this trip a success for Sean. When the boys came out of MS, it was time for us to head over to the Biergarten for dinner. But first, a quick stop to cool off-

2009_111006summer0038.jpg

2009_111006summer0040.jpg

I guess my boys can never pass up an opportunity to get wet! Next up- A FINE dinner in Germany! WITH french fries!!:thumbsup2

Perfect way to end a long day, read more from Ellen's TR! yeah for us!! So glad Sean is still having a great time and LOVE the pics of the Beverly. Never thought about taking a pic of them drinking it. I will next time though. lol

As always, great addition and can't wait for more!

:thumbsup2 I love your TR! I'm envisioning how your son enjoys the trip through his eyes. I'm glad the rest of the family had a great time too.
Ahhh the Beverly...... I've taken those pictures of friends too. And to think that this drink is suppose to encourage an appetite :scared1: More like "i'll eat anything to get this taste out of my mouth!"
Looking forward to reading more :thumbsup2

So, since so many people have commented on the tshirts, I thought I'd give a little backround and show our Christmas card this year (that was with the Photopass photo). I also posted this info in a response to someone else in the thread, so if you've already read this and I'm boring you I apologize! :flower3:

When we went to HHI 2 summers ago, Sean was not in a good place. That week he was supposed to go to sleepaway camp (that he had been to before, and loved) while we drove down to the Disney resort in HHI to meet family for 5 days. Well, Sean wouldn't get out of the van. And no cajoling, pleading or begging could change his mind. He was staying in the car, he wanted to go home. It was really, really horrible. A definite lowpoint in our autism adventure with Sean. Anyway, Sheree & Henry came at a moment's notice to stay with Sean (God Bless them, if I haven't said that enough) and the rest of us were on our way. Sad, disillusioned and frustrated, but on our way.

That week I made 4 Mickey Tie-Dyes for us to wear on the Disney Cruise we were taking in November (without Sean). As SOON as I finished, I realized :idea: I should have made one for Sean, too, even if he wasn't going on the cruise. DOH! After all, I did hope that SOMEDAY we would be able to get him to go to WDW with us again. Even if right at that point, none of us were too hopeful it would ever happen again. Well, of course the Cms let me make another one....

So, that we are all wearing the tshirts together, in WDW, and the tshirts were made with only a glimmer of hope, and the hope became reality that day- well, it really was just very, very meaningful. Happy New Year, everyone-

img001.jpg

What an amazing journey. I'm so happy that you were able to enjoy WDW with your entire family. Thanks for the TR. Looking forward to see how it ends.

Great Christmas card!! :goodvibes
Love the succession of pictures in Club Cool! :laughing: In October a cute little boy came up to me and told me I should try Beverly ;) I politely declined :lmao:
I am looking forward to the 1br at Kidani...I have stayed in a 2br in Jambo and a studio in Kidani....the 1br's have the extra bathroom and are a bit bigger than Jambo. :thumbsup2
Biergarten...mmmmm always a must!

Tracy

Tinks "SS";34825694 said:
Perfect way to end a long day, read more from Ellen's TR! yeah for us!! So glad Sean is still having a great time and LOVE the pics of the Beverly. Never thought about taking a pic of them drinking it. I will next time though. lol

As always, great addition and can't wait for more!

Oh...you soooooo have to take pics of the BEV!!! :thumbsup2 It's the MOST fun!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

:thumbsup2 I love your TR! I'm envisioning how your son enjoys the trip through his eyes. I'm glad the rest of the family had a great time too.
Ahhh the Beverly...... I've taken those pictures of friends too. And to think that this drink is suppose to encourage an appetite :scared1: More like "i'll eat anything to get this taste out of my mouth!"
Looking forward to reading more :thumbsup2

Hi Hunclemarco! :wave2: Love that you're looking at the trip that way- hope you had at least half the fun he did! :thumbsup2

And in Italy, bitter things are thought to spark the appetito...although, why, I always think, does your appetite need sparking if you're in ITALY???? :laughing:

What an amazing journey. I'm so happy that you were able to enjoy WDW with your entire family. Thanks for the TR. Looking forward to see how it ends.

Thanks for joining in! :goodvibes

Loved the Club Cool shots. I laughed so hard I had tears running down my face.

It WORKED!!!! :thumbsup2 :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Great Christmas card!! :goodvibes
Love the succession of pictures in Club Cool! :laughing: In October a cute little boy came up to me and told me I should try Beverly ;) I politely declined :lmao:
I am looking forward to the 1br at Kidani...I have stayed in a 2br in Jambo and a studio in Kidani....the 1br's have the extra bathroom and are a bit bigger than Jambo. :thumbsup2
Biergarten...mmmmm always a must!

Tracy

YOU are a SMART GIRL, miss tracy!! :thumbsup2 But really....it's not THAT bad! I am one of those freaks that actually LIKES the BEV- maybe I should have been born Italian... Ahhhhhhh.....:cloud9:

Count me in as a follower of your terrific TR! As one who knows how this can go, I admire your persistence. And the shirts are fantastic!!

We took the boat over to the other side of WS (at my DH's request- we went on that boat the first time in September, and now I wonder if I'll ever get him or my kids to hoof-it again). The last time DH & I ate at Biergarten was waaaaaaaaaaayyyy back in 1985 when Pods brought me to WDW as a kind of a graduation present from college, I guess. I had never been before, and he thought that that was something that needed to be taken care of. :lovestruc ANyway, in case you were wondering, we ordered off of a menu and had a plate of what looked like baloney for $6.95! :rotfl: Here are some pics from the last time we were there, and from the EPCOT CENTER booklet- kind of cool to see, I just found this album this morning!

img008.jpg

img009.jpg

img010.jpg

Who wears short-shorts? Pods wears short shorts! :rotfl:
img006.jpg

Well, things have really changed in 24 years at WDW, huh? So in 2009, we walked up to the podium and got on line with all the others waiting to be seated for their ADRs. I asked if they had gotten notice that we had a member of our party who would need french fries for dinner. Nope. They knew nothing, it had not been noted anywhere. :sad2: This always happens, but usually we can get it straightened out. See, there is a # you can call prior to vacation for WDW dietary services if you have an allergy or a special diet- in our case, the special diet requires Sean eating french fries at restaurants that don't really serve them. I also filled out a form they had emailed to me. Although they always assure me that all the restaurants have french fries, they are wrong as all the restaurant employees will tell you. But the woman at the podium was so nice, she got the MGR. for us, who was also SO nice, and said it was not a problem, that they would send someone next door to the US restaurant to get Sean some fries. :thumbsup2 We waited outside, and Sean was getting a little tired. So he did what he has always done when he's tired at WDW-

"Say Daddy- Pick me up!"
2009_111006summer0041.jpg

Which was not really a problem, until now! Sean's gotten a little bit too big for being carried around by Daddy!! :rotfl: So they sat on a bench-

2009_111006summer0043.jpg

Before long, we were sitting for the buffet. It was really, really good!! AND the entertainment was excellent, all of us thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It is so pretty in there- really does feel like you're in a little German village during Octoberfest. We were very anxious to go here because there is alot of German in our family's heritage, so it was great for the kids to experience.

2009_111006summer0045-1.jpg

Pods & I ordered the beer sampler- LOVED this!!! The group of 3 who were seated with us were chefs from Mexico- they liked the looks of ours, so they got one, too!

2009_111006summer0047-1.jpg

2009_111006summer0050-1.jpg

Timmy was bopping to the music the whole night-

2009_111006summer0051-1.jpg

I think we were in the same seats we had in 1985! How crazy is that? Here's the 2009 pic-

2009_111006summer0054-1.jpg

Here's 1985, if you can make it out-
img007.jpg

Timmy having a grand old time-

2009_111006summer0052-1.jpg

I asked, but no one was willing to go up and dance the polka with me- which is pretty surprising from Timmy, because he is usually into that stuff. I think the troops were getting really tired.

2009_111006summer0057-1.jpg

This was a great first night, even Pods said so! I think it will have to become a tradition for us. So, we finished up, and we did what i have learned is the ONLY way to shop in WDW with my family. Send them back to the room, while I stay and spend some $$ by myself!! I needed to get a gift for Pods' Aunt Irma who we would be visiting later in the week, and I thought something from Germany would be nice-

2009_111006summer0059-1.jpg

Ummm... no, not that nice (I got her a cute cow bell to hang on her door). Then over to Japan for a Bonsai tree I had scoped out for her on our trip in Sept. On the way, I got to enjoy Billy Ocean performing "Caribbean Queen".

2009_111006summer0061-1.jpg

Then back to Kidani for....the last game of THE WORLD SERIES!!! But would we be able to stay up for it???? :rolleyes1

Count me in as a follower of your terrific TR! As one who knows how this can go, I admire your persistence. And the shirts are fantastic!!

Hello there, and thank-you!! Wow, you have your hands FULL!!!! :worship: You REALLY know how this can go, don't you?! Thanks for reading along. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter