• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kid stuff advice needed

chellt

Mouseketeer
I am still preparing for foster kiddos. I have everything I need for school age kiddos, but need to prep for a wee one. What do I need (besides a crib) for a little ages 1-3? What are the MUST haves that I will need on hand? Swing? Bouncy seat? And about what age can I put in the twin bed and forgo the crib?
Yes, I know I am clueless! :rotfl2:

I am currently fostering a 7 year old, but keep getting calls for little ones and it is breaking my heart to say no every time! So it's time to get over my fear of little humans and start preparing!!! :faint:

I am still preparing for foster kiddos. I have everything I need for school age kiddos, but need to prep for a wee one. What do I need (besides a crib) for a little ages 1-3? What are the MUST haves that I will need on hand? Swing? Bouncy seat? And about what age can I put in the twin bed and forgo the crib?

I am currently fostering a 7 year old, but keep getting calls for little ones and it is breaking my heart to say no every time! So it's time to get over my fear of little humans and start preparing!!! :faint:

The youngest child you will be taking in will be 1yo? That is too big for a swing or bouncy seat. I'd get the crib, car seat, high chair (can be the kind that is just the seat that attaches to your chair and can be used as booster for an older toddler) and a stroller. You could also get a walking toy, ride on toy, some books, etc., off of craigslist or a yard sale for a very reasonable price. Art supplies, coloring books, play doh cold be used by both a toddler and older child.

Maybe a primo bathtub and toddler toilet seat.

How wonderful you are to take foster children. We work closely with the network in our area and know what a commitment it is.

First, I would recommend doing some research on toddlers. Maybe some books or even look into a class or two. It is required in our county and can be helpful. Buy a copy of a basic book to consult for things like taking a temp and dealing with a toddlers cough....different than an older child.

A good crib is very important. It so depends on when to move a toddler. I left DS22 in his until he was three, some kids climb out at one. DS7 never ever even slept in one.

A good, age appropriate car seat is a must. You will need to choose according to size. Unlike other things, the car seat needs to be new or from someone you trust completely to know its history.

Some toddlers are still on bottles, and many take passies. Clothes, diapers, hygene stuff, safe toddler toys and books. A stroller and a high chair are great too.

Many time there are agencies than can hook foster care parents up with what they need so don't be afraid to ask.

Bless you for opening your home and your heart to a foster child. That is just so awesome.

Like others have said--no bouncy seat, jumper, or swing for a 1 year old. I have an eleven month old. Here are some suggestions:

Sippy cups
Baby spoons
Feeding bibs (like plastic--not a drool bib)
A new convertible car seat (join the FB group called Car Seats for The Littles for some suggestions). They highly recommend rear facing until at least age 2 these days. Only take a used one if it's not expired and you would trust the person who is giving it to you with the child's life AND you know the complete history of the seat (no accidents, etc.)
A good stroller that also reclines (at that age many will still take a nap in the stroller if you are gone on an all day outing)
High chair (or one that is more like a booster for your dining room chair works too)
Changing table
Toys (balls, blocks, a ride on, a push toy, dolls, etc.)
Safety stuff (wall outlet plugs, something to secure away your medicines and cleaning supplies, etc)
Maybe a baby monitor (I don't use one but many do)

But honestly...as long as you have the crib and some clothes, you will learn on the way and there's always Target!!

I have twins that are going to be 2 in the fall.

Previous poster is correct. Swings, bouncers, gyms etc are done before 1st birthday.

Most cribs these days are convertible. You can adjust them to toddler beds and then later to use it as a full size headboard. We still use the cribs, altough I have a feeling we will be converting to toddler bed very shortly.

If you will never have a baby (under age 1) I would just get a booster chair that you can sit on your regular dining chairs. something that is small enough to store when you don't need it.

I would suggest some baby proofing. Get on your knees. Anything at eye level either needs to be removed, secured or placed higher.

As an added bonus for little ones, outside toys. My boys LOVE outside playing. I suggest yard sales. Wagons, riding toys, Play house, even a small swing set. But honestly they are just as happy with sidewalk chalk & bubbles too.

I would suggest going to Toys R Us and doing some "window shopping". Toys will have suggest ages on them. You will find just about every toddler equipment you can think of. Other than babyproofing things and a car seat, buy everything else used.

In addition to everything else, books, books, and more books. Read to them, talk to them. As a (retired) teacher, I see the kids in school who have been read to and talked to as little ones. They will do much better in school.

Second hand stores, yard sales, kids consignment sales and fb swap and sell groups are wonderful to get baby items at especially the larger items. Baby/toddler items are not used for long and are so expensive when they are new.

My only warning is to be careful with what you buy. Everything is changing and getting updated so recently. Dropside cribs are now not allowed, carseats expire, crib bumpers now have to be mesh breathable (atleast in the state of MD). I am not saying this to scare you off just research things for the safety of the children.

Thank you for what you are doing and enjoy them. I love the younger age! Especially before they can talk(back!). :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter