Kid riding on adult's ECV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok please don't flame so I am going to preface this by saying "it's your child and you have the right to parent and do only what you feel is safe for your child, period".

Having said that my dad let us ride on the tailgate of the stationwagon, on the roof in the luggage rack (felt like I was riding an elephant) even our dog rode. I rode standing up on the floor board of the back seat and hump in the middle while using my dad's ears as steering handles. I flipped from front seat to back to very back of the station wagon at will. I rode tractors and go carts and mini bikes at 5 years old (I'm a girl). And I rode bikes with no helmet ever. I think it depends on how careful your fil is. My dad was careful but fun. Hey my mom let us do it too. I went out in the ocean past the breakers at 8 years old to ride the 10 ft swells (before I knew what was in the water). I stepped off a 3" step and wore a cast for 6 months. I went rollerskating and wore another cast for months. I broke my arm falling out of a recliner...lol...being chased by my cousin I fell over a tree root face forward on a 6 pack of coke bottles that the tops had been broken off. Hit my forehead thank goodness and not my eye. Slipped in the tub and busted my chin requiring 15 stitches on a sleep over. My point here is things can happen but common sense should prevail.

My mother used her ecv and her grson rode with her and it made everyone happy, esp when it was raining and they were riding wearing one poncho beating everyone to the car.

I will state again do what is right for your family. Anything can happen at any time but different people and families have different ideas of what is OK and it's all OK. Had a friend who never let her son learn to ride a bike for fear of him falling.

I personally wear my seat belt and have even before it was law but I feel it's ridiculous to make a law for seatbelts yet people can ride motorcycles all day without one.

Sorry for rambling.

"What is right for your family" is a fine policy, but it just doesn't work at Disney.

The reason is that Disney (or any large company) can't trust that everyone knows what they are doing and won't have an accident. And if there is an accident, they can't trust that someone will take responsibility for it and not sue Disney.

Since they can't trust everyone, they have to make rules and limitations for all.

We eat raw cookie dough
outofroom.gif
DH asks for his cookie ration to be left raw, maybe cook one.

I discovered this awesome way to make Orange Julius, it uses a raw egg white.

I eat expired food as long as it passes the smell test, and then the taste test, it's good.

I detest hand sanitize (only use it when I HAVE to)

I don't quarantine my kids when they're sick, nor do I expect others to, my kids are allowed to play with sickies.

I'm telling you, we live on the wild side. Yet there are other things that baffle the people I know that I'm mo over protective and strict about. Like the previous person said, we all have our own ideas of what's okay and what's not.

Darn... I REALLY want one of those Orange Julius now, but I'm out of orange juice.
drool.gif

Ok please don't flame so I am going to preface this by saying "it's your child and you have the right to parent and do only what you feel is safe for your child, period".

Having said that my dad let us ride on the tailgate of the stationwagon, on the roof in the luggage rack (felt like I was riding an elephant) even our dog rode. I rode standing up on the floor board of the back seat and hump in the middle while using my dad's ears as steering handles. I flipped from front seat to back to very back of the station wagon at will. I rode tractors and go carts and mini bikes at 5 years old (I'm a girl). And I rode bikes with no helmet ever. I think it depends on how careful your fil is. My dad was careful but fun. Hey my mom let us do it too. I went out in the ocean past the breakers at 8 years old to ride the 10 ft swells (before I knew what was in the water). I stepped off a 3" step and wore a cast for 6 months. I went rollerskating and wore another cast for months. I broke my arm falling out of a recliner...lol...being chased by my cousin I fell over a tree root face forward on a 6 pack of coke bottles that the tops had been broken off. Hit my forehead thank goodness and not my eye. Slipped in the tub and busted my chin requiring 15 stitches on a sleep over. My point here is things can happen but common sense should prevail.

My mother used her ecv and her grson rode with her and it made everyone happy, esp when it was raining and they were riding wearing one poncho beating everyone to the car.

I will state again do what is right for your family. Anything can happen at any time but different people and families have different ideas of what is OK and it's all OK. Had a friend who never let her son learn to ride a bike for fear of him falling.

I personally wear my seat belt and have even before it was law but I feel it's ridiculous to make a law for seatbelts yet people can ride motorcycles all day without one.

Sorry for rambling.

bolding is mine...
I don't disagree with this...
BUT... What I do disagree with is breaking a contract and the rules you agree to abide by within that contract. When you rent an ECV from Disney or an offsite company you sign a contract agreeing not to allow any passengers and not to allow anyone under the age of 18 to drive the ECV (with the except of Randy's... apparently they will sometimes rent to those under 18 but the NO passengers rule still applies). If you don't want to abide by the rules then you should purchase your own so that you can carry your passenger 'legally' if you must carry one. It's just not right to sign a contract and then choose to throw out the rules and do as you wish. That's when I really feel Disney should take the ECV back and not refund your money and keep a list of those people and also share the list with the outside vendors so that they cannot rent offsite either. The rules are the rules and you agreed to them when you signed the rental contract . If you don't like them, then buy your own and you can do as you wish.
(when I say you- I mean general you, not specifically this poster)

And comparing seatbelts in cars to motorcycles doesn't make any sense to me. but I do feel that if you have a mandatory seatbelt law in your state, you should have a mandatory helmet law too. That would be more like comparing apples to apples. :)

justtobeme2 said:
I think it depends on how careful your fil is.

Respectfully, no. It depends on the legal agreement - contract - conditions the renter has with the rental company. One of those conditions is "no passengers".

Respectfully, no. It depends on the legal agreement - contract - conditions the renter has with the rental company. One of those conditions is "no passengers".
Agree.

And, if the renter breaks the contract and has n accident, they may find that the liability is all on them. The rental company's liability insurance is to cover the company from anything they may be liable for - like malfunctioning brakes.
If the renter has chosen to not abide by the rules on the contract they signed, they may find they are on the short stick side of a lawsuit.

And, it doesn't only affect the person who is driving. I have seen many situation where a child unintentionally interfered with the driver's ability to steer. That can cause the ECV to veer off and hit someone. I had an ECV coming toward me on the path along the water between POFQ and POR. The child decided to 'help' grandma drive, but I have seen the same thing happen when a child pointed and hit grandma's hand - suddenly, the ECV is not going in the direction it was intended to go in.

I was forced off the path onto the grass. If there had been a wall there instead, I would have been hit.

So, things that only affect the person doing it (raw cookie dough) - eat to your heart's content. If you get sick, it was your choice, you getting sick and your liability.

I am going to close this thread because the original poster's question has been answered and answers are now getting into advice to intentionally violate rental contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter