Kid cruise other than DCL

Jen76b

Mouseketeer
Ok.. I know this is a DCL DIS board, but I have a question. I've already booked with DCL for June 2006 (I'm so excited!!!). My sister is now wanting to go on a cruise, but looking for something cheaper than DCL for summer 2007. DCL has so much entertainment for kids, I was wondering if there is anything that compares, even kinda close??? We're looking to dock from Galveston, but will leave from FL is we have to. The kids will be 8,10 & 15. Any suggestions?

Carnival and Royal Caribbean sail out of Galveston, and I've known families who've done both. I've heard much more positive comments about RCCL"s Rhapsody of the Seas. I can't remember which Carnival cruise our neighbors sailed, (Jubilation?) but they weren't impressed (said they probably won't cruise again.)

Royal Carribean has some awesome features on their newer ships that are great for kids. I would consider one of their ships. That's what we are looking at right now.

We did NCL a couple years ago with my daughter and she had a complete blast... It is a lot cheaper. WE had so much fun. It was out of Miami but I know they too go from the Galveston area. La Porte is actually where they leave from which is b/w Galveston and Houston not far... I would think Carnival would be a lot of fun for kids and they are out of Galveston as well at New Orleans and Mobile.

We sailed on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas this summer and it was great for our kids. Our 8 year old loved the children's program and the alternative "Adventure Dining" at Johnny Rockets on the Formal nights. The older kids enjoyed being able to play mini-golf, climb the climbing wall, and ice skating. Family Disco was huge hit with our crowd. Of course, they also loved ordering room service. We booked through United Airlines website so that we could get frequent flier miles. The whole experience was wonderful - we're booked on RCCL's Freedom of the Seas (surfing & a really impressive pool set up for a ship are the new editions) for Sprng Break 2007.

We are also looking into other cruise lines. (We have cruised 5x on DCL and love it, but are looking for a change). We were going to book a southern caribbean cruise on the Crown Princess, the newest Princess ship. In fact, we had put a deposit down on a room. However, we are cruising with friends who have 3 children. When they contacted their travel agent to book their rooms, they found out that, unbelievably, the Crown Princess (and many/most Princess ships) do NOT have any regular connecting staterooms. They were told that they had to book either a family suite (very expensive) or two separate (non-connecting) rooms. They confirmed this with Princess directly. Because their children are young, they did not want to book the separate rooms, which I can understand. It is amazing to me that a cruise line that caters to families would build most or many of its ships without any regular connecting staterooms. Therefore, we are going to cancel our deposit and start researching Royal Caribbean.

Royal Carribean is the best family company as far as we could tell. Our Explorer of the Seas cruise was fantastic, and they have activities for all ages.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I heard Carnival Conquest was good, but not to try any other Carnival. I think we'll look into RC. Thanks! :thumbsup2

Mariner of the Seas. Out of the same port, similar itineraries and great features. The kids will love it!!! :teeth:

Jen -

A friend's family and I sailed on the Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston 2 years ago. Five kids in all and we had a blast. Thery don't have the skating on that ship, but the kid's facilities are great and there is the rock-climbing wall and my son loved everyone cheering him on as he tried the trip to the top bell.
Service was excellent, kids were totally rushing off to kids activities constantly - staff there was loving, creative, and keep those kids going all the time!!
The decor on RCCL was also elegant, the food superb and the price could absolutely not be beat out of Galveston. IMHO - about the best kids program at sea - and we have done NCL and Carnival, too.

Good luck - any questions, fee free to PM me.

Have you seen the new RCCL ship??? If not check it out - it has a water park on it for the kids!!!!!

How's RCCL Soverign of the Seas for kids? I know it's an older ship, but it is one of the few RCCL that sail out of Port Canaveral. We booked a New Year's cruise, but may cancel depending on how much $$$ DCL Med. 2007.

We just returned from the Western Cruise 2/25/06- 3/4/06 and we had a great time. We did book onboard but are also interested in checking out what is available elsewhere. My teenager had a great time on the Dis cruise and many times stayed out til all hours with the teen group. I felt she was safe as Disney does not really attract the all night party crowd and they seem to organize/watch over the kids well, even at night. My question is, are the programs for the older kids on RCCL comparable to what we get on Disney, ie are there organized activites that go on into the night for the teens? For those who have traveled both lines, do you think that it is as safe as night for the kids to be out and about by themselves at night (she is 15)?

I appreciate your feedback.

Kathy

We've been on 4 - 3 night DCL cruises and our daughter (now) 14 has been on two Princess cruises (3rd one coming up on Saturday) and she prefers Princess! :Pinkbounc

RCCL got the thumbs up from our whole group. 6 adults ranging 30's and 40's, kids 19, 18, 18, 17, 17, 17, 16, 15, 12, 8

There were activities for all ages till well after midnight

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter