Keys, Wallets, Cards, etc.?

dobball23

DIS Veteran
Do you bring your keys, wallets, money, phones, cards, etc. to the WDW Half Marathon/Marathon? If so, do you carry them during the race? What's the best way to handle these items that all of us usually have with us at all times?

Just trying to figure out a strategy as my first Half Marathon draws closer.

I carry my room key and $20 in a slot in my fanny pack that I know they will not fall out of. My phone goes into an arm sleeve carrier if I carry and serves as an iPod.

Car keys, well Shhhh I leave them in the car. They are usually in the pocket behind the front passenger seat. It's a rental and I have coverage in the contract I use just in case the car wins the thief lotto. I do this for all races, not just Disney. My personal car has a pushbutton starter, so I start the car with the keys in the cab at the house then put the fob in a sub-deck pocket in the back before I drive off. In the trunk, the key will not restart the car and most folks will not tear up a trunk to find a set of keys.

If you are bothered about leaving keys with the car, Disney provides a bag check service. I would have a shirt in the bag (since it is clear) and wrap the keys in the shirt prior to checking the bag.

good question and good answer! i have a follow up question - before and after the race, is there anything for sale that i'd need money for? and if so, do the vendors take the key to the kingdom card?

good question and good answer! i have a follow up question - before and after the race, is there anything for sale that i'd need money for? and if so, do the vendors take the key to the kingdom card?

Not sure if vendors take KTTW cards, but if I remember correctly there is a food stand/truck in the finisher area...however as part of your registration you get food at the finish anyway (granola bars, fruit, Powerade...stuff like that). There's also an official merchandise tent.

I'm planning on bringing my annual pass, KTTW card, and some cash. That stuff will go in one ziploc baggie with my phone in a separate ziploc baggie. My running skirt has lots of pockets, so I am just going to keep them there, but in the past I put this stuff in my fuel belt.

they do have a vender that will engrave your medals after the race. Thats what I have money mainly for.

Not sure if vendors take KTTW cards, but if I remember correctly there is a food stand/truck in the finisher area...however as part of your registration you get food at the finish anyway (granola bars, fruit, Powerade...stuff like that). There's also an official merchandise tent.

I'm planning on bringing my annual pass, KTTW card, and some cash. I think I'll put it all in a ziploc baggie, which my phone in a separate ziploc baggie. My running skirt has lots of pockets, so I am just going to keep them there. In the past I put this stuff in my fuel belt.

Assuming that you are not in the Retreat Tent, there is a small tent selling coffee and drink pre and post race. Post race, there is also a small souvenir shop. I am thinking these are cash only, but others may have better data.

Then there is the post race massage tent. Basically a buck a minute plus tip. As a coach, I would encourage waiting until the muscle has settled before a post race massage. Early evening would be better than immediately post race.

As a note, I carry the $20 for a couple reasons. First, in 2007, the race ran out of fluids due to a warm snap. I saw tables folding up in the 15 mile range and I was on a 10 minute pace at that time. I figure in a pinch I could always pull off and purchase a drink. But the first reason I put the $$ in the fanny pack was my first event at Disney had a cold front pass in the middle of the race. I was freezing as I passed through a park. Afterwards, I thought it would have been nice to have been able to grab a sweatshirt when I needed it. So while I carry a small amount of cash, I have never once stopped to spend it. I guess that I may not carry it once and then really need it.

I usually have spectators with me, so they carry my things, except for the iPhone and Gels which I carry in the pockets of my shirt. If I do carry my car key, I just attach it with a safety pin to my shirt. I carry a credit card and my ID and that is in a pocket in my shirt or in my jacket which will probably be the case that weekend. I anticipate it will be cold.

At a Disney race I check everything including my phone, hotel key, and the clothes I will change into after. I don't like having anything on me when I run. Even training runs the most I will take is my house key and often times I just have a spot where I hide that while I'm out running. I have never once run with my phone or wallet anywhere.

I carry quite a bit with me during any run 10 miles or longer. I wear running shorts with zippered side pockets (which are actually kind of hard to find, believe it or not) so everything stays in there.

I usually carry the following:

Small billfold with ID, one credit card, and cash
Room key, if I am not running a local race
Car key, if I am running a local race
Gu packets
iPod

The only thing I carry that ends up irritating me are the Gu packets. If I'm running a RnR race or another race that provides Gu, I don't bother with it. But a lot of races give out the PowerBar brand stuff, and I haven't had very good luck with that; the PowerBlocks, etc., bother my stomach. So, I carry my own.

Since I already have my phone around my arm, I bought this: http://www.armpocket.com/ . In the large one I can put my iPhone in its case, my ID/CC/cash, a key, several gels and a few tissues.

You can find them at most Best Buy stores in the fitness area. Most associates won't have a clue what you are looking for and send you to the phone area. BB only has the ones with the medium strap and as I lose weight, I am having trouble with the size, but I would say a medium would fit an average arm (time for bicep work to add bulk:lmao:)

I never check a bag at the Disney races, I prefer to carry everything on me. I have a double pouch iFitness belt that I love. I carry my iphone (which is what I use to take pictures), room key, drivers license (I like having a form of id on me other than my bib), cash (I never shop after races, the cash is for emergency use) and fuel. I think that's everything?

Now, I am going to need to figure out a way to carry MORE fuel with me for the full because it won't all fit in my belt. I also have a Fuel Belt and a SpiBelt neither of which I like as much as my iFitness belt, but I may need to use one of those in addition to the iFitness belt to carry my fuel...we shall see...

I check the room key, phone and a jacket. I don't hang around after the race, so that's all I really need.

At home, I take my phone, house key, health card, $5 and a transit pass with me along with my bloks. I carry them in an iFitness pouch or the jacket of my shell. At Disney, I take a credit card, room key, phone, $5 ... it all goes into my iFitness pouch.

I've varied on my races

1st Half) - gps/ipod/Camelback, which i ditched at the 5 mile mark behind a tree. It was still there when i drove past so i picked it up then
Check in: Phone and keys

2nd Half (disney last year) - kTTW, gels (back pocket) gps/ipod
Check in: nothing

3rd Half - keys, gels (zippered back pocket, ipod, gels
Check in - nothing

Other races: I end up locking my car, then unlocking 1 door and putting the keys in the kids sliding cup holder carseats.

Marathon planning: No idea yet:) Probably going to bring
back pocket: 2 or 3 gels, 1 honey stinger chews in a different bag
In shoe: Cash? Not sure yet, but great idea after reading coach's post
on me: gps/ipod shuffle
check in: extra shoes(or sandles), socks, other clothes, key to the world, cell phone (going to be tracking other runners to meet up with afterwards),

It's kinda funny since I'm staying at POR for the close factor, only to check a bag in anyways

At home: i run 2 miles loops (one in each direction from my house) so i leave water bottles on the curb and fuels in the mailbox. usually just leave the door unlocked

I've varied on my races

Other races: I end up locking my car, then unlocking 1 door and putting the keys in the kids sliding cup holder carseats.

At home: i run 2 miles loops (one in each direction from my house) so i leave water bottles on the curb and fuels in the mailbox. usually just leave the door unlocked

Funny, I did fail to write that I do lock the car from inside in the back seat and then leave and keep unlocked a rear door. Not telling which one just in case someone is looking for my rental.

I also leave my house door unlocked when out for a neighborhood run. I probably should not but I kind of live in a Mayberry type neighborhood. At least that is what I want to believe.

I am nicknamed the "tool belt runner" around my parts. Yup, I have it all with me. I do not care what I am called, I carry what I think I may need and really do not like to check anything at events. (Hearing some stories about long lines to pick up checked things has me shy to do so.)
I never check a bag at the Disney races, I prefer to carry everything on me. I have a double pouch iFitness belt that I love. I carry my iphone (which is what I use to take pictures), room key, drivers license (I like having a form of id on me other than my bib), cash (I never shop after races, the cash is for emergency use) and fuel. I think that's everything?

Now, I am going to need to figure out a way to carry MORE fuel with me for the full because it won't all fit in my belt. I also have a Fuel Belt and a SpiBelt neither of which I like as much as my iFitness belt, but I may need to use one of those in addition to the iFitness belt to carry my fuel...we shall see...
I have seen some ingenious ideas for carrying more fuel packets. The one that "sticks" most in my mind is the person who had their gel packs fixed with duct tape on their clothing.
Check in - nothing...
...Marathon planning: No idea yet:) Probably going to bring
back pocket: 2 or 3 gels, 1 honey stinger chews in a different bag
In shoe: Cash? Not sure yet, but great idea after reading coach's post
on me: gps/ipod shuffle
check in: extra shoes(or sandles), socks, other clothes, key to the world, cell phone (going to be tracking other runners to meet up with afterwards)...
I have always been cautioned about checking anything of value. I would check flip flops, extra dry covering shirt/jacket if I would check anything. I've been lucky that DH has been at the finish line with that for me.

In my waist pack I carry kthw, ID, money for a.m. sip of coffee small bills since change is a challenge 1st thing in a.m. Also carry $20 for the just in case as Coach Charles has suggested. Glad that I have never used the extra cash, yet. I always take a water bottle, being back-of-the-packer WDW ran out of water at the hottest event I have ever done and since always have with me a small bottle attached to my belt. It has come in handy at other events as well. I carry a camera, cell phone, extra body glide, lip gloss, gels, a few napkins/toilet paper/kleenix and wipes.

I have a number belt where I put a Tylenol, just in case.

.I have always been cautioned about checking anything of value. I would check flip flops, extra dry covering shirt/jacket if I would check anything. I've been lucky that DH has been at the finish line with that for me. .

You think he'd hang onto my stuff :) Family hasn't showed up at the finish line of any races previously. There's claims they will this year....but we'll see;) Momma does like her sleep.

... I have seen some ingenious ideas for carrying more fuel packets. The one that "sticks" most in my mind is the person who had their gel packs fixed with duct tape on their clothing. ...

:laughing: That's great!

I've thought about wearing some sort of lightweight backpack, one that I could ditch if I wanted to. Like a drawstring one.

I obviously have yet to figure this out and try different ways on training runs...but will definitely do so.

At Disney races, I usually have my ID, KTTW card, iPhone, some cash (for post-race massage), and whatever nutrition I need.

I love love LOVE my iFitness belt. :love: Now if only they made one that held a single 20+ oz bottle.

At Disney I put my room key, park pass and money (usually a $20) in the zip pocket of my tights. In my shorts pocket I have a hanky (when I run so does my nose) in one pocket and a chap stick in the other. Sometimes I carry a phone or a camera depending on who is at the race with me. I do bag check a dry shirt and a pair of sandals (usually flip flops) to wear when I walk back to the resort (if I'm staying in an Epcot resort- which I try to do but can't always.)

I have been know at local races to pin my keys to the inside of a pocket so they don't get lost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter