Keys To The Kingdom Questions

TBDave

Mouseketeer
Hi. Our family's heading to WDW for the next two weeks and planning on taking the Keys To The Kingdom tour. I have a few questions, and hoping someone can help out.

1 - We're trying to decide between the 8:30am and 9:00am tours. My thinking is that it'll be easier to get to the park for the earlier tour, since most people will be trying to arrive for the 9:00am rope drop (it's not an EMH morning). Beside the extra 30 minutes of sleep, are there any reasons why we should take the 9:00am tour instead?

2 - For the 8:30am tour, we need to sign-in by 8:15am. How early do the monorails start running? Also, what time do the boats start?

3 - Are you on your feet the full 4-5 hours (besides the 2 rides and lunch)? Or are there a few breaks where you can sit on a bench?

4 - Besides good walking shoes, is there anything we should bring on the tour?

5 - The reservation person said No Cameras. I've read some reviews that say something along the lines of "we couldn't take pictures of the backstage areas". That seems to imply that cameras are allowed, but you can't take pictures of certain areas. Anyone know what the official rules are?

6 - Any recommendations on what to choose for Lunch?

Thanks for all the help!

Dave

We're trying to decide between the 8:30am and 9:00am tours. My thinking is that it'll be easier to get to the park for the earlier tour, since most people will be trying to arrive for the 9:00am rope drop (it's not an EMH morning). Beside the extra 30 minutes of sleep, are there any reasons why we should take the 9:00am tour instead?

For the 8:30am tour, we need to sign-in by 8:15am. How early do the monorails start running? Also, what time do the boats start?

early enough (i think the monorail starts at like 7:30 or something but not positive). the bottom line is in addition to tours, 2 table service locations and BBB all start serving at 8 am, so transportation to there by then is not an issue from anywhere on site.

as far as whether the time of the tour matters, i have the impression that the later the tour, the more likely you are to go on 3 attractions (POTC, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion) as opposed to just 2 of them. the tradeoff is the park will be much emptier prior to 9 am if that's your thing.

Are you on your feet the full 4-5 hours (besides the 2 rides and lunch)? Or are there a few breaks where you can sit on a bench?

you go on attractions as mentioned. it is a walking tour. there were be occasional breaks and sometimes you'll stop for a bit and might be able to find a spot to rest.

Besides good walking shoes, is there anything we should bring on the tour?

probably a poncho, especially during hurricane season

The reservation person said No Cameras. I've read some reviews that say something along the lines of "we couldn't take pictures of the backstage areas". That seems to imply that cameras are allowed, but you can't take pictures of certain areas. Anyone know what the official rules are?

officially, reservations says no. the tour guide probably won't have an issue as long as it fits in your pocket. most of the tour is on stage and there should be no issues with cameras then, but backstage is forbidden.

Any recommendations on what to choose for Lunch?

tuna.

Hi. Our family's heading to WDW for the next two weeks and planning on taking the Keys To The Kingdom tour. I have a few questions, and hoping someone can help out.

1 - We're trying to decide between the 8:30am and 9:00am tours. My thinking is that it'll be easier to get to the park for the earlier tour, since most people will be trying to arrive for the 9:00am rope drop (it's not an EMH morning). Beside the extra 30 minutes of sleep, are there any reasons why we should take the 9:00am tour instead?

2 - For the 8:30am tour, we need to sign-in by 8:15am. How early do the monorails start running? Also, what time do the boats start?

3 - Are you on your feet the full 4-5 hours (besides the 2 rides and lunch)? Or are there a few breaks where you can sit on a bench?

4 - Besides good walking shoes, is there anything we should bring on the tour?

5 - The reservation person said No Cameras. I've read some reviews that say something along the lines of "we couldn't take pictures of the backstage areas". That seems to imply that cameras are allowed, but you can't take pictures of certain areas. Anyone know what the official rules are?

6 - Any recommendations on what to choose for Lunch?

Thanks for all the help!

Dave

Hi, we just took the tour this past Friday. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

(1) We took the 9am cause we wanted to sleep in. However, we were at the park around 8:10am or so. We were still able to get into the (empty) park, sign in for the tour, walk around and see the castle, get pics taken, etc. It wasn't an issue with people there for rope drop because we were already in. And as bradk mentioned we went on 3 attractions (the 3 he listed).

(2) I don't know, we took the bus. But it picked us up before 8.

(3) You are on your feet quite a bit. For the first half (before lunch) of the tour, we had 2 times where we sat while the guide talked, as well as 1-2 breaks. Then there was lunch, so that wasn't bad. But in the afternoon it was pretty much walking the entire time, with some prolonged periods of stationary standing. There was only one very short bathroom break, so this half was much more grueling than the first.

(4) I didn't bring my bag or camera because I thought they might not be allowed and didn't want to deal with any of that. But some others had bags and we were just told to put cameras away for behind the scenes areas. I can't think of anything else you would want to bring.

(5) My guide didn't check for cameras. But if I were to do it again, I probably still wouldn't bring one just in case.

(6) We both got the fish and chicken combo - yum!

We did the (9:30 tour and wished we'd gone earlier so that we had more time in the park later. (It was a MVMCP night so the park closed early.)

Our tour guide Steve encouraged us to take pictures when "on stage". Backstage, put your cameras away.

We were given many oppurtunities to sit.

The tour started at City Hall and we made our way up Main Street, stopping on the side street to talk a while. Then we went to the main Hub talked by Walt, and headed toward Adventureland.

We sat in Adventureland across from Swiss Family Robinson right before we rode the Jungle Cruise, (We were also given a "biological break" here)

Then again after the Jungle Cruise we sat at El Pirata y el Pericoto to discuss backstage ettiquite.

After some backstage time to see the Parade floats, it was time to sit for lunch. (Another Biological Break)

After lunch we sat at the Liberty Bell waiting area to hear the story of the Haunted Mansion. We then rode HM.

After HM we walked through Liberty square back to Main street where we had another "Biological Break" between Casey's and the Crystal Palace.

Then it was to the Utilidoors! We spent some time down there talking and then back up to main street and back to City Hall for some closing comments and goodbye.

Steve was OUTSTANDING!
kttk2.jpg

At which restaurant did they do the lunch? Did you have to stand in a line to order your lunch?

(and do they give you a pin after the tour?)

thanks
DisGal

:cool2:

I've taken several backstage tours and had my camera hanging around my neck. As long as you don't try to get your camera out to take backstage pictures, you'll be fine.

When I took Keys to the Kingdom, lunch was at Columbia Harbor House. We didn't have to wait in line, but proceeded upstairs to our dedicated eating area. There were placecards at the tables, and the placecard included our pin.

When I took Keys to the Kingdom, lunch was at Columbia Harbor House. We didn't have to wait in line, but proceeded upstairs to our dedicated eating area. There were placecards at the tables, and the placecard included our pin.

thank you for your quick reply. Now that I know there is a reserved lunch area, we may make ressies for this tour next trip. The tunasalad sandwiches @ Columbia Harbor House have been delicious.

DisGal

You'll make your lunch choice when you check in first thing in the morning. The guide who seems to have the most experience is Matthew. You'll remember him if you get him, he's diabetic, very talkative and hilarious.

I was told once that you get earphones to help you listen to your guide. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Yes they do give you a headset to wear. Made it easier for the guide to walk and talk and for us to hear him over all the other noise.

they seem to go back and forth on the ear sets. last tour i took used actual headphones and a single channel device

and matthew is awesome

Do you need a park ticket to get into the park, or does the price of the tour get you in for the day. I think I read the tour is $60. Are there any discounts?

Disney Visa and AAA give discounts. Mine ended up costing $48. You must have park admission. Our group was about 15 people, but with the earphones, it was not a difficult number at all. Our earphones were single ear sets that connected to a pack that you clip on your belt and you tune it to the tourguide's channel to hear him. We were on the earliest and went on two rides... sounds like a later one would have been better but I would have missed Matthew. Glad I did the early one. He was chock full of personal stories and talked like he'd been part of Disney all his life. He was very proud of his work.

There was one spot in the tour where we got to sit for a prolonged period of time and we all got rested up to continue. He goes over some history at that point. Then you sit at lunch (Columbia Harbor House has always been one of my favorites.) They'll give you a large bottle of water when you begin the tour. Bathroom breaks were enough (and I have to go OFTEN). You get a special pin at lunch for taking the tour.

When you get to the park in the morning, there will be a special turnstile that is for breakfast patrons and tour goers. You'll use your admission to get in and meet to the left of City Hall. They'll have your badges laid out for you and you'll choose your lunch (they have pictures). Then you head on down Main Street. If you're in the 8:30am, you'll have a quiet first half hour which is very nice. It wasn't too hard to follow the tour guide the rest of the time. Our tour lasted the full 5 hours, but we also asked A LOT of questions. They love questions and it will get them off on a tangent and it makes it more fun.

You've GOT to do the tour! You'll love it. I've done KTTK, Backstage Magic and Wild By Design and haven't been disappointed with any of them.

now you've prompted another question. What are the badges like that you mentioned?

DisGal

now you've prompted another question. What are the badges like that you mentioned?

DisGal

I'm wearing them in this picture. One around my neck that says "Guest" and the other is over my left chest. It has m name on it.

kttk2.jpg

Also, that's the headset in my left hand.

Actually the Disney Visa discount is great....20%, best discount they offer (beats AAA, AP or DVC!). :thumbsup2

The earpiece is also a great addition for the tours. We were on backstage tour and you could hear everything the guide was saying, that way you didn't miss something or have everyone ask the same question over and over. But, if you have a personal question you don't want everyone to hear, make sure he covers his mike! :rotfl:

When DW and I took the tour in '05, they made it clear that cameras and mobile phones (camera phones) were not allowed on the tour. They held our bags at City Hall until the tour was done.

For the individual who asked about the name badge: it's similar to the cheap circular buttons, except these are rectangular, and your name is printed on a clear label that is affixed to the front of the button. Mickey and Minnie are on the left & right side, wearing the tour guide uniforms.

We also received a pin in the shape of a key, that says "Key to the Kingdom" or something like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter