Key West with wdw/universal

kathy87

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I posted this on the budget board also but thought I might get more responses on here.I thought someone may be able to help me. I am looking to do a few days in Key West and than going to Orlando or vise versa. Can anyone tell what is the least expensive and most efficient way to do this? I am traveling from Boston. I know there is a ferry from Miami or Ft. Meyers. Is it easier to drive from one of these locations and then fly back to Orlando? I'm sure people do this combination, I am just looking for the easiest way to accomplish this.

Thanks so much

Driving to Key West is the easiest way. It may not be the least expensive depending on how much a car rental is.

I did just that in 2012. Flew Allegiant into SFB and had a good package deal with an Alamo convertible. We spent 2 nights with my Mom in Leesburg then drove down to Marathon. Next day on to Key West for 5 nigts. Drove up to a hotel near Universal then checked in to RPR for 5 nights. Great trip! Our first time to Universal and my Wife's first time to Key West.

So Squirlz, you drove back from Key West to Orlando? Do you remember how long it took you?

That drive is about 6-7 hrs. We did that about 6 months ago with family. We met in key west (we live in n. Miami). They drove from ft lauderdale to key west. We met down there (we have a small home in key west where they stayed), they dropped off their rental down there and drove with us to Disney. Longest part is getting out of the keys due to only being 2 lanes of traffic.

So is flying from Key West to Orlando not worth it?

Just might be ridiculously expensive. Inter-state flight in Florida is ridiculous, if you can even easily do it. Plus Key West is a small airport = more expensive. For example, to fly from Miami to Jacksonville, I often had to fly to Atlanta first. I recently looked up doing Ft. Lauderdale to Pensacola and they wanted me to fly to NEWARK, NJ first!

There is a boat from Ft. Myers to key west, DH and I took it about 20 years go.

This past April we did the drive to Key west but from Ft. Myers...aka zig zagged. Ok we went to Marathon and one of the marathon days we drove to Key west, walked to the southernmost point for a picture, stopped at the beach and left. It was our 2nd time there and it's not the Key for me!

It was probably about a 4 hr drive to marathon, the return took longer since we took 41 instead of 75 to see gators, boy did we see gators! Key west was about another hour If that, I can't recall.

But once you got into key largo the drive flew, the scenery was just breathtaking.

I don't know how long you plan to stay there but I would fly into Key west and fly out of Orlando or vice versa, probably pick the keys last! I'd suck it up and pay the extra fee if there is one for the rental drop off at a different location.

I have down the drive from Disney to Stuart and it so boring, oranges and more oranges is what I remember.

We are going to go back next April so my DH and son can scuba dive, hopefully! And do the drive to/from Ft. Myers, my sisters house. But we have no desire to go to Key west again, we aren't into that scene. I am hoping to do the seven mile bridge again, eat at keys fisheries in Marathon, and eat at this place in key largo plus hopefully we can snorkel while my DH and son can scuba with my sister.

So Squirlz, you drove back from Key West to Orlando? Do you remember how long it took you?
It was about 6 hours. We fly there now and don't do "split stays". We'll be in Key West for 12 nights in October and Universal for 9 nights in December.

If it were me, I would fly to Fort Lauderdale from Boston, rent a car and drive to the Keys/Key West (because the drive is amazing), visit for a few days , drive back to Fort Lauderdale , fly to Orlando stay for a few days then fly back to Boston. (If you are looking for company let me know!)

I thew in few dates:

https://kay.ac/AVbAtj

My husband I were looking into this since we want to do a similar trip. Flying into Miami and then renting a car was the cheaper option when we priced it out. Driving to Orlando was also the cheaper option and the drive is only 6 to 8 hours depending on traffic. No clue why the flights were so expensive but it really seemed like a waste of money to us.

Flying directly into Key West can be dicey.If the weather is crummy,they might try a few times to land,but then fly onto Miami and and have you take a bus to Key West.That happened to us on our 20th anniversary.We were looking for a pencil to stab ourselves with because it was dark and slow.Ended up in KW airport-which was closed-thankfully a local called the cab company and had them send every available taxi.What a pain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter