Key West to Old Key West day 1

tony64

<font color=blue>Should've been a Cowboy<br><font
Sunday 11th Nov 2012
We were up and ready for when my friend Matt picked us up at 8.00am. Being a Sunday there were no morning rush hour problems and our drive to Heathrow Terminal 3 was very smooth and uneventful. It helps that Matt used to work at terminal 3 and was able to take us on all the short cut back roads the normal airport users wouldn't know about.
I'd already done online check in the day before and managed to bag seats in the bubble. There was no queue at bag drop or security so we were airside in no time at all.
Next up on our list of things to do today was a lovely breakfast at Bridge; The Big Vegetarian for Theresa and The Grande for me.

2012-11-110929443_zpsd3f13e71.jpg

2012-11-110930333_zpse0aee645.jpg

Theresa had downloaded a voucher from the Eat Drink & Fly web site and we had 15% off of our bill which came to £25.00 inc. tip.
We had a look around a few of the shops and bought a Paddington Bear for my Cousin James little girl, Cadance. We had a chat with a nice American couple who were also flying to Miami but not on our flight. WE got talking to them when the lady made the tomohawk arm gesture as I was wearing my Noles top, it was the first time anyone this side on the Atlantic had done it and it took me a few moments to cotton on. He had served in the Army and as it was Remembrance Sunday, the airport was going to have a 2 minute silence and he was quite upset that he'd not been able to get a poppy so I gave him mine.
It was eerie when the whole airport came to a standstill and there were a few people who were not aware of what was going on, looking very puzzled.
Our flight today was on Cosmic Girl and we were 45 mins late taking off.

Floridanov2012001_zps268b698f.jpg

I struggled to get my camera bag in the overhead locker and ended up putting it in the storage cabinet behind the 1st class section. Drinks were served pretty quickly; Theresa had a fruit punch and a white wine with the meal which followed shortly after take-off. We both went for the Chicken in Leek sauce which was actually nice.
FloridaNov2012Theresaspictures016_zpsf55541ff.jpg

Even the bread roll wasn't as rock hard as last time. We watched a few films like The Hunger games and Spiderman. It was nice and quiet in the bubble and it meant we were off the plane quickly when we got to Miami, even if I did have to be quick getting to the locker to grab my bag once we landed.
Once we were off the plane we went straight to passport control with no queue, straight up to the desk!!!!! The down side was we waited an age for our baggage but then it was straight through customs and on to car hire. No wait here and we were off to collect the car. We had a choice of four and I opted for the Dodge Avenger, really nice muscle car.
Floridanov2012026_zpsdef74615.jpg

We were on our way, ok not so much, we had a satnav that Joh & Gary had picked up for us on their trip in August and we were having problems getting out of the airport and onto the right road as there were road works with several road closures around the airport. Eventually we sorted it out and we were on our way. We stopped at Sonny's real pit BBQ at Homestead and had a really lovely meal. I can recommend the ribs, they are to die for. The bill came to $38.00 inc tip.
FloridaNov2012Theresaspictures019_zps20c00335.jpg

Next we popped into Walmart (of course we did). We just grabbed a few essentials like toiletries, Cheesecake Factory cheesecake, Cinnamon rolls, milk and OJ for breakfast.
Floridanov2012004_zpsc60c4dc1.jpg

On the way down to the Keys we saw a car which looking like it had thousands of tiny fairy lights all over it, it was the most amazing paint job I've ever seen. We really wished we'd been able to get a picture of it but we never got into a position to be able to.
We arrived at Anchorage Resort & Yacht Club in Key Largo at about 10.00pm. We collected our keys from the drop box and had a quick look around our apartment 402, which had a lovely balcony over- looking the sea before quickly unpacking and crashing into bed.
Floridanov2012012_zpsf96e6737.jpg

Floridanov2012017_zpsf0f4c085.jpg

Floridanov2012016_zps272f27f6.jpg

Floridanov2012015_zpsf5c95a62.jpg

Checking in. I am glad that you had such a smooth start. The dinner looked fantastic. The apartment looks really lovely, too.

Corinna

Glad you started your trip report i've been waiting to hear all about your trip to the keys.
Good Start :)

Great start Tonester. You look a bit tired in that first photo and not at all excited ;) Your bread roll with your meal looked nice. We got the rock hard brown rolls when we last flew with VA, they are so minging.

So glad you have started, now I'm off to read more.

Great start to your trip Tony.

Hope the Satnav early troubles are all sorted :)

Great start and I love that you consider Cheesecake Factory Cheescake and Cinnamon Rolls "an essential" :rotfl:

Great travel day if it ended with a trip to Walmart for cinnamon rolls and cheesecake!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter