• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Key West - early ashore & onboard - suggestions?

criddla

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We are scheduled on an upcoming DD for a very early ashore & onboard day at KW. In looking into the trolley, it seems like they don't run until 9 am & since ashore time is early - it doesn't seem like its worth it... But I'd love to hear your opinions.

We are a family of 4 who enjoy walking & would love to see as much as possible... The southernmost point, Truman House, Places for Key Lime pie, Margaritaville, the sandal factory (ok that's just me :) ) - I'm just worried that with such an early start and departure there won't be much open when we get off the ship....

Any suggestions / recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

Key West is definitely a place that doesn't start early. :) We went in May and did the trolley excursion through DCL first thing. I think our meet time was 7:30ish? We were on the first trolley out and I don't think the public ones were running yet. We got done around 9:30 and started walking around town. There were very few people out and about but stores and things were open. We got a Frapp at Starbucks and just started wandering.

The good thing was on the trolley when we went past the Southernmost point there was no one there yet so she was able to stop in the street and we could take pictures of the point without anyone in the way, didn't have to go back later which was great because it's a long, hot walk.

We also saw the Truman house and had Key Lime Pie (frozen on a stick and covered in chocolate, yum!). It was a fun day but we were hot and ready to go back fairly early so I don't think an early departure time will hinder you too much.

There was an excursion we did in April on our own that was so outstanding. It was called extreme shark feeding tour. You can Google them to find out how early they start. When you get off the ship, they are right there on the dock. I can't remember the price but I do remember it being very reasonable and they have separate adult and kids prices and a discount for paying with cash. This was definitely the highlight of our day in Key West.

Key Lime, Truman Little White House and Hemingway Home/Museum are all easily walkable from the ship.

If the ships in port early it's likely that the trolley will start earlier than normal too ... but no guarantees.

I prefer the Old Town Hop On/Off trolley. Have used them in several cities (including KW) and they have been better than the others ... when we've done both and compared.

The last time my family and I were there on a RC cruise we walked to the Butterfly House. If you have younger kids they will love it. It was only a 25 min walk from the pier and there's plenty to look at along Duval Street. I guess you can google it and see what time they're open. We then walked down to the Southernmost Point and stopped for lunch at Margaritaville on the way back. Key West is so nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter