Key to the World Card demagnetization

MsPlutoNJ

Aca-awkward
Stupid question: do the key to the world cards get demagnetized by Iphone or magnets? I have a magnet on my cell phone case which doesn't bother my credit cards, but apparently does not like hotel keys.

Can't remember having a problem in the past at Disney, however, during my last two hotel stays (South Carolina and Atlantic City in the last two months) I demagnetized both of my hotel cards. :confused3

Just want to prepare for my upcoming trip. :yay:

Anyone know?

Thanks!!

The iPhone itself should have no effect on your card however the magnet on the case will have an effect.

Yep.

I used to use a shoulder bag in the parks which had a magnetic closure on it.
My KTTW card got demagnetized just from being in one of the zipper pouches inside the bag, about three fabric layers and two inches away from the actual magnet.

Since the cards now have an RFID chip instead of the customary mag stripe there should be no more issues.

With the mag stripe I had a problem with my old Blackberry yet not with my iPhone :confused3 Who knows but I am still careful about it just because its a p.i.t.a. to have to go get new keys. Not the end of the world, just a pain, IMO.

Since the cards now have an RFID chip instead of the customary mag stripe there should be no more issues.

Although room keys at many resorts now use RFID for room unlocking (rather than mag stripe), the magnetic stripe is still used for merchandise and park admission, so yes, you still need to worry about demagnetization

Yes I had a problem with mine last year from the magnetic closure on my bag!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter