Kevin Yee is at it again!

I have no problems with someone voicing their opinions but he seems to fixate on the most inane things..... shark bait, anyone?!?!?:rotfl2:

Firstly, Kevin is incorrrect in stating that there are nets everywhere around CC. Serenity Bay does NOT have a net... I've seen the barracuda in that area on every trip... Apparently, the CM's call him Barry the Barracuda...

As far as nurse sharks, yeah, they aren't harmful to humans but I can understand the nervousness... However, if you go on a normal snorkeling excursion on the cruise, you aren't protected at all...

There is a net to keep larger fish out of the family areas/snorkeling lagoon but nothing is 100% failsafe...

As for the construction? Would not surprise me if it was there to build another, longer and deeper berth for the new ships...

We were on the May 3rd Western and there was a baracuda and a stingray at the family beach. I thought it was cool but people were screaming. The baracuda was no smaller than 3 feet.

h

It's a subjective review, just his humble opinion:confused3

subjective to his personal experience & taste.

If he was ripping the CMs or condition of ship, then i'd be concerned.

fyi, he should try comparing the show quality to the amatuerish (at best) offerings on Carnival:laughing:

I have to agree with his opinion on Disney moving away from the idealized/sanitized experiences. I have noticed a real decline in the level of cleanliness in the parks and resorts, the food service, and the CMs. While they still do a wonderful job, it was very different when I took my kids for their first trip in 2006 compared to my last trip pre-kids in 1997. I wouldn't mind one bit seeing Disney embrace those qualities which earned its reputation to begin with.

I just came back from the 5/11 Wonder (yay Double Dip!), and saw all three: the stingray, the shark, and the barracuda. I also witnessed a family where the dad was trying to show his kids the nurse shark and the son was so freaked out he was practically choking his dad while trying to get on his back and out of the water. Maybe it was the same day Kevin was there, it sounds a lot like what he described. As for the large stingray, it was quite easy to see that it's barb was missing - I think it escaped from Castaway Rays!

I wasn't concerned by any of them, but I've also snorkelled in open waters on several occasions. I understand that you don't want to take them lightly, but I can think of a lot worse things to bump into in the water.

I agree wholeheartedly with his assessment of Toy Story musical. It was not enjoyable, and the actress playing Sid had pretty bad pitch. Every time she screamed (and I mean screamed, it didn't resemble singing at all) "I'm the daVinci of Destruction, the VanGogh of Violence!!", I couldn't help wincing. :headache: Besides, why give Sid a solo? It made him much more prominent than in the movie, and much less funny - I could see how smaller children might even be scared by him. At the Golden Mickeys, the same actress' Cruella was so off-character. It seemed more like how you'd picture Goofy trying to be Cruella. Nowhere near the smooth, sneering Cruella I'm used to in the movies, nor the snide Creulla you meet in the parks.

If I were writing the headline for that review, it would be "Whine Whine Whine."

Granted, opinions of shows are subjective. I for one was prepared to dislike Toy Story as I think Disney is overusing it in general. But I actually LIKE it, mainly due to the ingenuity of the costumes and due to Sid. Seems like people either love or hate "him," but love seems to be more predominant as he got more clapping and cheers than Andy both times I saw it.

But the assessment of Castaway Cay? COME ON!! It's the freakin' ocean! Is Disney supposed to find a way to santize it just because people don't read warning signs? I've seen the barracuda, nurse shark, and wild stingrays many times. I've never thought anything of it because it's the OCEAN. You know, that giant body of water full of all sorts of living critters. Apparently Whine Boy would prefer it if the ships sailed on the Seven Seas Lagoon and all the critters were audioanimatronic.

Well, I have to say that I totally agree with his review. I was very disappointed in Toy Story the Musical and will not attend it again on my future sailings on the Wonder.

My other major issue is this. With Hercules, every time I cruised, there was something different with the script. They always had the ability to keep it fresh and appealing to people like myself. Now, with the new TS show, they have three static shows, nothing that can be changed.

Overall, I was very disappointed with the decision to make the movie into a musical, overall disappointed with the show, and sad to see another static show hit the stage.

Now, I shall duck for cover for the inevitable barrage of dirty looks I will be getting. :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

I had the good fortune of seeing Toy Story the Musical during the preview for the press and blogged about it here - scroll down to about the 12th or 13th entry - 4/10/2008.

In my opinion this is not the 'broadway caliber' show that so many have said - but I think the majority of DCL cruisers will love it.

The response from kids was especially encouraging.

At the very least you have to give DCL credit for changing things up. They recognize that they have many repeat cruises who want new shows and things to do.

I found Toy Story the Musical to be a nice addition to the current shows being offered on the Disney Cruise Line fleet.

John

Kevin need to stay away from DCL, he does not like it.

That's not entirely true. I do like DCL. I think they made some mistakes in the literature before my first trip, and that could have been done differently, but by no means would I be on my third trip if I hated the experience.

It would make for a boring article to talk about how much I like DCL. They do a lot of things right. But there is always room for improvement.

Most of my article was meant to point out the slide away from idealization and toward authenticity. Like I've posted in other forums, in hindsight I can see that my way of writing up the shark episode was a mistake (it was too breathless).

I could see your point on the shark thing, personally. While I would look at it as a safe situation (once informed it was a nurse shark, as I wouldn't recognize that on my own), my kids would be done with the water for the rest of the day. I had trouble convincing them we were seeing dolphins at the beach last summer, and not sharks. No way would they accept "Yes, its a shark, but it won't hurt you!"

As an aside... how did it get into the snorkling area past the nets? Does it stay inside?

My kids (5 & 8) were thrilled to pieces to see the stingray and the barracuda and we saw them right at the edge of the family beach -- not deep in the snorkeling area or at the adult beach. That's still one of the biggest things they talk about. We had done the trip to stingray city just a few days before and had read many books about ocean life before coming on this trip. I think it's good for them to realize that the ocean can be a "wild" place and not a sandy swimming pool. I would be very disappointed if they built a jetty and made it all enclosed.

Karen :cloud9:

Kevin, I agree with other posters as far as I felt your expectations of complete and utter safety in the ocean (despite signs to the contrary) as childish and unrealistic. I also agreed with the lifeguard's decision not to mar the enjoyment of an amazing day because you are nervous of a shark that is familiar to them and highly unlikely to cause problems.

However, I have the deepest respect for your response here in that you are able to look objectively at your own work and agree that it could have had a different tone. Well done and thanks for the good example.

I just wish I could get a chance to see what everybody is talikng about!

OP yes beagles do rule(well mines does anyway!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter