• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kermit, Muppets Gang to Debut in the Magic Kingdom

WDWKOOK

NOW WITH LESS TAG!
A MOM AND THE MOUSE, FEATURED, KRISTIN FORD — BY KRISTIN FORD ON JANUARY 5, 2010 AT 1:40 AM

Since The Walt Disney Company bought Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy and the rest of the Muppets in 2004, it has been searching for ways to make the characters relevant to a new generation.

In their heyday, and my youth, the Muppets were hugely popular. I remember the anticipation of going to see The Muppet Movie at the theater with my cousins in 1979, and the weekly television show featured top celebrities of the time. The hit song “The Rainbow Connection” plays in the background of many of my happy childhood memories.

But now? My children know who the fuzzy friends are only from Jim Henson’s Muppet*Vision 3D at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. They find the attraction amusing, but they don’t clamor for the merchandise because they don’t really know the characters.

That’s about to change, though. Disney has been re-introducing the Muppets by linking them to causes that today’s youth care about, such as the environment and volunteering. Who’s more green than Kermit, right?

More merchandise is showing up in stores, including Once Upon A Toy Store at Downtown Disney. We noticed quite a lot displayed up front by the registers when we were shopping during Christmas week.

And now visitors will be able to see the characters in the Disney parks.

Beginning Friday (Jan. 8), each afternoon Kermit, Miss Piggy and Sweetums will be part of a pre-parade celebration at Disney World’s Magic Kingdom and at Disneyland in California. Muppets characters and parade dancers will join special floats and vehicles celebrating volunteerism and presenting honorary VoluntEARS as grand marshals of the parades. Can meet-and-greets be far behind?

Expect to see more of the Muppets, as marketing gears up for a feature film that is slated to be released this year.

I'm starting to give second thoughts to the rumor that the Muppet Band may replace Aerosmith on RNR. It may actually make sense.

That is awesome to hear. My DD8 loves the Muppets (largely due to Muppet Vision 3D :goodvibes). She has seen the movies when they are on TV and asked (and received) "A Muppets Christmas Carol" for Christmas. If she knew that Kermit and Miss Piggy were out and about meeting and greeting in the parks, she would be beside herself. As for RnRC, that would be cool too.

I love the Muppets! I never really grew up with them either, i wish they would show the muppets on Disney Channel or ABC family. I've never really seen the movies either, but it's nice that they're trying to give them more attention. I hope they come up with some good Beaker and Swedish Chef shirts and other merchandise! I just love them.

:banana: I love the Muppets. And would be glad to see them allocated more. I think Disney is doing a great job so far at reintroducing them into mainstream (i.e. The Give A Day/Get a Day promos..and I saw them on an episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Jimmy Fallon's show, and the Bohemian Rhapsody online).... by taking these babysteps, they are definitely preparing to use them more.

As far as the Rockin Roller Coaster... I dont know if they'll ever do it, but I definitely think it would fit in nicely.

I love the muppets. 2 years ago I got to meet Mrs Henson , the puppeteer who does elmo , and the puppeteer who does gonzo . Both of them with their puppets.

Also got to see some of the commercials and other stuff that most people have never seen.

It was really cool .

I hope disney does more with them.

Yay! Glad the Muppets are making a comeback! I always grew up with the Muppets - Muppet Babies, Muppet Family Christmas, the Muppet Show... and all the others. I'm excited that Jason Segal (from How I Met Your Mother) is developing a new Muppet movie - I hope it's as good as I want it to be!

Anyway, for a blast from the past, on my first trip in 1990, they had just announced Disney's partnership with the Muppets and had a live action show with the Muppets and Mickey & Minnie etc... here's a pic Miss Piggy from back then :)
Pig.jpg

The Rock N Roller Coaster Featuring Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem?

HAHA That'd be awesome...though it would make a lot more sense if it was near where Muppet Vision was - I could see them sort of doing a "Muppet Studios" area of the park with Muppet Vision and another ride, maybe a Sweedish Chef resturaunt, and a Meet n Greet

I would have a complete nerdgasm if they did more with the Muppets in the parks. OMG if they did RNR with the Electric Mayhem.. I'd probably spend my whole DHS day in line for it (and 10 mins riding, lol)

I'm a lifelong Muppet fan, can you tell?

This news would almost be too good to be true!! I'd love to see Kermit sing The Rainbow Connection - it was my children's very favorite.:love:

Thanks!

The Rock N Roller Coaster Featuring Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem?

HAHA That'd be awesome...though it would make a lot more sense if it was near where Muppet Vision was - I could see them sort of doing a "Muppet Studios" area of the park with Muppet Vision and another ride, maybe a Sweedish Chef resturaunt, and a Meet n Greet

Yeah but most of DHS doesn't make sense... I mean who in their right mind puts two of the three most popular E-Ticket Attractions next to each as well as the Night time show and a popular play ALL on a fairly congested area.

I'm so glad I found this information! I'll be in DLR this weekend and we love the muppets. Has anyone seen this pre-parade show and have good info on best spots, what time it starts, and what the show might involve? We usually don't stick around for the parade but this we've gotta see :)

Answering one of my own questions...found this information on schedule on the disney parks blog:

“Disney’s Honorary VoluntEars Cavalcade” precedes “Celebrate! A Street Party” at Disneyland park. You can catch the show at Disneyland park once a day, and there are a few things you should know about the current schedule:

* If there is only one performance of “Celebrate! A Street Party” scheduled for the day, then the cavalcade will happen at that time.
* If there are two performances of “Celebrate! A Street Party” planned for the day, then you can catch Kermit and Miss Piggy as part of the Cavalcade at the evening parade.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...gy-in-disney’s-honorary-voluntears-cavalcade/

I would have a complete nerdgasm if they did more with the Muppets in the parks. OMG if they did RNR with the Electric Mayhem.. I'd probably spend my whole DHS day in line for it (and 10 mins riding, lol)

I'm a lifelong Muppet fan, can you tell?

I love the Muppets (as you can see by my Dis-name) and would also spend an entire day on the ride. I've also heard Disney is redoing The Muppet Movie. I just hope it has all of the same charm and appeal as the original.

So awesome! I grew up on the Muppets, and am thrilled at the prospect of seeing them around Disney! Muppets Take Manhattan has always been my favorite Muppet movie!

:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter