Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis found in contempt, going to jail

You said "As mentioned, she decided to stop issuing ALL marriage licenses. Once that word got out, homosexual couples traveled to Rowan County to apply for a license." That insinuated to me that there was 0 demand for gay marriage licenses before "word got out." The way I read your statement, it was false. I apologize for my response if that isn't the way to intended your comment to come across. I have a hard time with the perpetuation of the narrative that gay people are seeking out persecuted christians to shove their gayness down the throats of christians. I responded due to feeling you were continuing that narrative.
I honestly didn't know about the Rowan County gay couple. I *DID* know about gay couples that came from other counties and out of state, as well as the heterosexual couple that's part of the lawsuit. So yes, there were/are activists that were/are making this a rally point just like Davis is.

I honestly didn't know about the Rowan County gay couple. I *DID* know about gay couples that came from other counties and out of state, as well as the heterosexual couple that's part of the lawsuit. So yes, there were/are activists that were/are making this a rally point just like Davis is.

If I were in the mood, I would argue about how the people who have gone to Rowan county are there in support of those who are having their civil rights denied. However, I'm not at all in the mood to go into this stuff. Have a great rest of your day! :flower3:

No, but they are a hypocrite if they are a waitress who refuses to serve steak that is on the menu of the restaurant she works in because she now is a vegan.
I disagree with calling them a hypocrite. I agree they (the waitress & Davis) are both wrong and should resign if they can't fulfill their job duties.

Which does bring up a good question for those supporting Davis... if a Jewish cook in a restaurant refused to cook a ham because of his religious beliefs, should he keep his job?

If I were in the mood, I would argue about how the people who have gone to Rowan county are there in support of those who are having their civil rights denied. However, I'm not at all in the mood to go into this stuff. Have a great rest of your day! :flower3:
And I could point out there are plenty of people in Rowan County (and now Ashland) "showing their support". They've been in front of the courthouse, holding signs, chanting, etc. You don't think there are people (on BOTH sides of the issue) who are looking for THEIR "15 minutes of fame"?

if a Jewish cook in a restaurant refused to cook a ham because of his religious beliefs, should he keep his job?
In the interest of multicultural awareness, and trying to keep things light and informative, I'll point out that many observant Jews wouldn't have a huge problem with that, because the prohibition is in the eating. I once cooked a ham as a volunteer for a dinner, though I had to get other people to taste it for me.

The real problem would be cooking a cheeseburger, because the prohibition is first in the cooking of meat and dairy, and only secondarily in the eating. :)

In the interest of multicultural awareness, and trying to keep things light and informative, I'll point out that many observant Jews wouldn't have a huge problem with that, because the prohibition is in the eating. I once cooked a ham as a volunteer for a dinner, though I had to get other people to taste it for me.

The real problem would be cooking a cheeseburger, because the prohibition is first in the cooking of meat and dairy, and only secondarily in the eating. :)
So noted. :thumbsup2 I think you get my point.

Where did I say any of this was "okay"? Personally, I feel those, who "hired" her, should decide her fate.

And, to be clear, she didn't issue a license to ANYONE...PERIOD.
and in the 1960s many cities and states shut down public schools and other accommodations rather than subject them to integration. It was declared illegal and after a while the national guard was called in. You might recall a man by the name of Wallace and his famous lines of segregation now, segregation forever. Just because you decide not to provide a service to anyone does not negate the discriminatory roots of the decision.
If those that "hired" the elected officials in the 1960s had their way, separate but equal would still be the norm. One of the responsibilities of the government is to protect the rights of the minority from the tyranny of the majority.

For the "rule of law" crowd here, the latest twist is it appears any licenses issued by the deputy clerk staff at the Rowan County office may not be valid. Oh, those pesky legalities.... :music:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-court-clerk-marriage-licenses-gays/71635794/

I see that it is the Clerk's lawyers who are espousing this "opinion" that any licenses issued by the deputies *might* not be valid. It was also this lawyer's "opinion" that she could ignore the Court's directive that she issue the licenses. And, we see how valid that "opinion" was. I wouldn't worry too much until a court finds that the deputies are not authorized. She really is a spiteful woman isn't she? "I won't do it because my conscious forbids it, and my conscious gets to dictate for everyone else too." Gee, I wonder who really is trying to foist their viewpoint on others?

I disagree with calling them a hypocrite. I agree they (the waitress & Davis) are both wrong and should resign if they can't fulfill their job duties.

Which does bring up a good question for those supporting Davis... if a Jewish cook in a restaurant refused to cook a ham because of his religious beliefs, should he keep his job?
refused to cook it but allow another to cook it, no. Refuse to allow others to cook it because of his beliefs, yes.

The job did not require her to go against her religious beliefs, until the recent SCOTUS ruling.

Considering that the USA is one of the last first world nations to make same sex marriage legal this ruling could not have come as a complete shock. If you or this Kim person had followed the societal changes around the globe for the last 15 years it was obvious that this would eventually be part of her job if she planned on being in her position for the next 30 years like her mother was.

I agree that if you are a government official, you should do the job as required by law or resign, or take the punishment. That said, how many of you agree that government leaders of Sanctuary Cities also should meet the same fate?

She had no right to do.what she did. She can hide behind the bible all she wants, she's wrong. Her attitude astounds me. Like who is she to.decide to refuse anyone anything anywhere?? I hope.She resigns.

But part of me thinks she just wanted her 15 minutes of fame. And.She got.it but now she's in jail so...

Considering that the USA is one of the last first world nations to make same sex marriage legal this ruling could not have come as a complete shock. If you or this Kim person had followed the societal changes around the globe for the last 15 years it was obvious that this would eventually be part of her job if she planned on being in her position for the next 30 years like her mother was.
But, this is Kentucky. I'm not sure, it wasn't a shock.

A bit judgy...comparing me to "this Kim person"? :rolleyes: Speaks volumes. ;)

I agree that if you are a government official, you should do the job as required by law or resign, or take the punishment. That said, how many of you agree that government leaders of Sanctuary Cities also should meet the same fate?

::yes::

I'm guessing she was Christian in name only. But at some point she decided to be a more stringent follower of the religion.

If someone decides at 30 they want to be vegan, does that mean they are now a hypocrite because they ate meat in their 20's?

If they wish to simply be vegan and tell others about the benefits, no. But if they want to get holier than thou to the point of getting a restaurant job at a steak house and refusing to serve meat, you betcha.

I hope.She resigns. But part of me thinks she just wanted her 15 minutes of fame. And.She got.it but now she's in jail so...

The USA Today article that dinolounger linked above says, "'I would have to either make a decision to stand or I would have to buckle down and leave,' she told [The Kentucky Trial Court Review] in a radio interview. 'And if I left, resigned or chose to retire, I would have no voice for God’s word,' calling herself a vessel that the Lord has chosen for this time and place."

I don't think any of us should hold our breath for her to do the honorable thing and resign.

I would like to tell Ms. Davis to read the Constitution.
Ms. Davis constitutional right has not been withheld. She has chosen to not follow the law, stating her religious beliefs. Fine then, resiegn your position and stop this NOW.
There is a reason for separation of church and state.

But, this is Kentucky. I'm not sure, it wasn't a shock.

A bit judgy...comparing me to "this Kim person"? :rolleyes: Speaks volumes. ;)
The USSC case was well on its way to be decided prior to the november election and the january swearing in. If she knew that she would not honor its decision she should have and could have done the honorable thing, I would even venture to say the right thing, and bow out. She is getting exactly what she wanted.

The USSC case was well on its way to be decided prior to the november election and the january swearing in. If she knew that she would not honor its decision she should have and could have done the honorable thing, I would even venture to say the right thing, and bow out. She is getting exactly what she wanted.
So, EVERYONE KNEW, that it was a done deal? Hmmmm. Guess, the voters were in on it too?

If there is a court order, as here, which they defy, as here, then they should suffer punishment for their contempt of court. I am not aware of any court order that exists re: sanctuary cities. "Not aware" doesn't mean I know for sure. LOL. But, I am in favor of people following court orders, OR suffering the consequences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter