Kennedy Space Center

Goodeguys

Earning My Ears
We are going to have some time during the days leading up to our cruise and are considering visiting the Kennedy Space Center. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this in the recent past.

Does it take an entire day to get your money's worth?

Are the displays, exhibitions and shows relatively current?

Are you on a guided tour or are you able to move around on your own?

Any other tidbits of info. anyone can provide would be appreciated!!

We have visited Kennedy Space Center on the day before our cruise. It can take as long as you would want it to depending on your interest. There are many things to see and do there. There are various IMAX movies, live shows, interactive exhibits. You can also tour the launch sites and shuttle area via a tour bus. I would say to do it right, it should take at least four hours, if not more.
My sons (10 and 13 on our last visit) really enjoy visiting there.
Have fun.

Not too current, went there 4 years ago. DW figured about 1/2 day and then spend the rest of the day on the beach in Cocoa Beach. Nope, nada, ziltch. We spent the ENTIRE day there and no where came close to seeing it all. DS (9) at the time was totally facinated, I really enjoyed the "new" exhibits (it had been 10 years since prior visit). DD enjoyed it too and was a trooper throughout the day. We left exhausted.

Relatively speaking, not too expensive, and a great educational day!!

We were just at Kennedy Space Center in February. We made the mistake of going there on the day we RETURNED from the cruise. That was a huge mistake. The whole family was exhausted from all the fun on the ship and we were dead tired. My oldest (11 yrs old) spent the first two hours crying. After we had lunch and chilled for a little bit we did actually have a great time. If you don't have an entire day to really truly see it all - go with the basic tour:

Standard Admission
$29 adult/$19 child (ages 3-11)
Tour Kennedy Space Center, see IMAX® movies and enjoy the exhibits and shows

The best part of this option is you can see all of the IMAX shows as part of your fee. The bus tour was a bit boring for my girls (11, 10, 8, 6). Mostly becasue they were so tired but we got on and off a bus at a couple sites around the Space Center and looking across the fields at launch sites just didn't interest them. The Apollo/Saturn Complex was pretty good and we had lunch there. The Visitor's center was actually the best. We were there on a launch day also and that was exciting but the launch didn't happen until after 7pm and we were just not up to staying that late. We didn't do any of the specialized tours but my daughter really wanted to do the space simulators on these. That was one of the other reasons she spent two hour crying. We are a large family of 6 and it just wasn't cost effective for us.

Hope all of this helps - it really is a great place and you will probably have a great time going before the cruise!! The kennedy Space Center website really is terrific also. Have a great time!!

I have been looking into this also, and found there is a "lunch with an astronaut option." Although my daughter is a picky eater and will never eat what's on the menu, I am still going to book it as she's the type to love this. Have fun planning!
Kathy

PS follow this thread to the Orlando hotels and attractions section of the DIS message board and type in Kennedy Space Center in the search box. There are a couple thread there that also give good information. http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=15
:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter