Kennedy Space Center - Congressional Tickets Update

sjncrulz

Earning My Ears
Here is a response I received from my state Senator's office about our request for KSC tickets for May....guess we should have thought about the trip a bit sooner....anyway those of you who want tickets read the email to see if it may even be an option for you....

Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:21 PM
To: Featherall, Jeanette (Moran)
Subject: Automatic reply: Johnson: Kennedy Space Center Tickets Request

Hello, and thank you for contacting NASA Headquarters, Office of Legislative & Intergovernmental Affairs.
If you are submitting a tour request for a constituent, please read carefully:
Our office takes requests from Congressional offices on a first-come, first-serve basis, up to six months in advance, for up to 4 complimentary tour tickets per group to the Kennedy Space Center.
Due to the overwhelming amount of requests, we are only taking requests for July 2014 tours. WE WILL ONLY INDIVIDUALLY RESPOND TO REQUESTS FOR THIS TIME FRAME WITHIN 5 BUSINESS DAYS.
Complimentary tickets for tour dates prior to this are not available. The complimentary tickets are the same exact tickets as those that can be purchased. Constituents who are unable to receive the complimentary tickets may purchase them online at , or in person at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.
Thank you,
NASA Headquarters
Office of Legislative & Intergovernmental Affairs

I didn't know that you could even request tickets from your congressperson. Thanks for the info.

My congressman was very helpful but it did seem from his response that right at 6 months is when the request should be made and not "within" 6 months as they were already all gone.

two years ago you could often get them a week b4

then this web site and few others began to let the cat out of the bag and the # of requests exploded.

few congress folks even knew about the program b4 and now there are waiting lists . . .

if I wanted these I'd probably be trying to get my name on a list 8 months out . . .

reminds me of the days of Bozo's Circus TV show, live from Chicago. Tickets were free you just had to ask. At the peak folks were sending for tickets b4 the kids were born in hopes they'd get dated tickets for b4 the kids were 7!!!! I must have been 6 when I went . . .

If you cannot get the complimentary tickets, please do be aware that your AAA office can sell you KSC tickets at a slight discount; $5 off each. It's not a GREAT deal, but it is at least better than full-price.

Orlando visitor site has magic card discount for the tickets. I was just on the site and you can print the card or have them mail it.

I was told the same thing... A few weeks ago I sent a request for March 27th or 28th. One of rep Boehner's staff called me the next morning to let me know that it was 6 months out. I thought I read you had to wait until 3 months out to request... :confused3 oh well... we'll likely go anyway

If you cannot get the complimentary tickets, please do be aware that your AAA office can sell you KSC tickets at a slight discount; $5 off each. It's not a GREAT deal, but it is at least better than full-price.

Reserve Orlando also offered $5.00 off.

I just contacted 2 of my congressmen for tickets at the end of December (which is more than 6 months out). Both said that ALL the tickets to Kennedy Space Center have already been given out for the year! :(

I just contacted 2 of my congressmen for tickets at the end of December (which is more than 6 months out). Both said that ALL the tickets to Kennedy Space Center have already been given out for the year! :(

That would be right. The lead time is 6 months - there's six months left in the year.

I've called my congressman's office throughout the last few years for this and they ALWAYS tell me that I should just buy the tix and they have no idea what I'm talking about. So annoying. I call back once in a while to see if they have new interns who can figure it out, but they punt it.

I've called my congressman's office throughout the last few years for this and they ALWAYS tell me that I should just buy the tix and they have no idea what I'm talking about. So annoying. I call back once in a while to see if they have new interns who can figure it out, but they punt it.

How about sending them a copy of this thread along with a letter explaining your disappointment at their uncooperativeness in the past?

I agree, just buy tickets. It cost money to run the joint, why should all cruisers go for free, just sayin...

How about sending them a copy of this thread along with a letter explaining your disappointment at their uncooperativeness in the past?

I might one of these days.

I agree, just buy tickets. It cost money to run the joint, why should all cruisers go for free, just sayin...

Wow, seriously? They are allotted a certain number of tickets. So my problem isn't necessarily that the "ran out" and I have to buy my own tickets (which I have).

My problem is that my congressman's office is so uninformed that they do not know and do not care that there is such a resource for their constituents.

The tickets aren't, as you say, for cruisers. They're for everybody who care to ask if their district has sufficient tickets to pass out.

I've been to Kennedy Space Center 3 times throughout the years and yes, I bought tix for my entire family each and every time.

FYI - I am in Georgia and went ahead and sent over our request for May 2015. I figure the worst case they would tell me that I am too early and to check back. Well a lady called me and said she got my request and that she called KSC and a lady there told her as of July 1st they were no longer offering tours. :confused3 she said something about the KSC no longer being able to accommodate tours.

Then she told me I might want to check again toward the end of this year. So now I am confused on if they are no longer giving tours at all or if they are just going to stop giving free tickets.

Just thought I would pass this along. :)

Hmm. You only have ONE congressman based on where you live. You want to contact the local office first for the corresponding contact in DC who will handle the request.

Now, YMMV on getting a response back from them...

I just did a Google search and the KSC website is still selling tickets beginning at $40 and up. Didn't realize it was that pricey -- no wonder people are hoping for freebies.

I just did a Google search and the KSC website is still selling tickets beginning at $40 and up. Didn't realize it was that pricey -- no wonder people are hoping for freebies.

KSC had parts of it that used to be free to visit. I remember several years ago when we stopped on our way to WDW thinking we'd spent a couple of hours, only to find out it was $40+ per person. We just left.

Note that the request for tickets via the representatives have increased and would not surprise me if they'd cut that out.

Hi, thought I'd chime in. I was told today that congressman/senators are no longer able to secure complimentary tickets for their constituents. They sent me the prices that are on the site. Oh well, waited too long to try and get this taxpayer option!

This is the response I got from them today:

We regret to inform you that there are no complimentary tickets available in 2014 for the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex (KSCVC) in Cape Canaveral, Florida. In addition, OLIA will cease taking requests for complimentary tickets, effective July 1, 2014, which is when tickets for early 2015 would have become available.

What's not clear is when they stopped honoring requests. They've been running out of tickets at the six months time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter