Kennedy Space Center - camp nearby or just make it a day trip?

KristinU

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

We've decided that we'd like to hit the Kennedy Space Center during our trip this summer. Should we just make it a day trip from the Fort? Or should we tack it on to the beginning or end of our Fort stay and stay at a nearby campground? If so, any recommendations?

We will have our dogs with us, so that weighs in and makes me lean toward staying near the center for a visit. Or we could always kennel at Best Friends for the day.

Thanks Snowmedic, that looks perfect! I'll drop a day from the front end of the Fort and add a night at Manatee Hammock.

We did a day there before our trip in Feb. It was very nice, from there you can take 528 over to I4. 528 is a toll road about 7.25 to cross but well worth it. It is an hour from Titusville to MK.

These were taken during our trip there this Feb. It is a fun trip, I recommend the trip that stops at the VAB and stops at Pad 39 overlook if you are one that likes to take pictures, otherwise it is not worth the extra cost.

_MG_6696.jpg _MG_6731.jpg _MG_6751.jpg _MG_6792.jpg _MG_6812.jpg _MG_6842.jpg _MG_6776.jpg _MG_6732.jpg _MG_6809.jpg

Such gorgeous photos Chris!!!

We booked at Manatee Hammock for the day before arrival. Actually, I booked two nights so we don't get kicked out at 11:00 am that day - at $25 a night well worth the padded extra time to explore then head to the Fort in the afternoon/evening.

Is Manatee Hammock or Jetty Park a place to spend 2-4 weeks?

I've looked at both Denise. Jetty Park has the advantage of the ocean, the beach, and the cruise ships coming in and out. Very open and only a little shade. It is close to civilization and the Cocoa Beach strip. Some sites are paved. Jetty has a deal where you can call and get 7 days for the price of 6 and 30 days for the price of 25.

I looked at Manatee Hammock pretty hard after snowmedic wrote about it on his last trip. It is a little more quiet and removed, much more in the way of shade, and I don't recall how many of their sites are paved.

I could make it at Manatee a week probably but anything longer, knowing me, I would want to be around a little more action near Jetty.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Jetty Park is full for our dates. We are gonna try Manatee Hammock.

Manatee is a nice little campground, there are no paved sites. There is a Publix just up the road and some nice restaurants near by, our favorite that we also go to when in fl is Dogs R Us. As for spending 2 - 4 weeks, before we went to the Fort, that would have been no problem, we where there once for 6 months. But after camping at the Fort, we can only handle 2 -3 days. They do have a non-heated swimming pool. The pier is nice, for fishing or watching for dolphins in the early morning. It is a nice little area and Cocoa isn't to far of a drive, about 20 minutes depending on traffic and road construction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter