Kennedy Space Center area questions

Mic

<font color=purple>They can take away my freedom b
My son's boy scout troop is leaving for a trip to Disney World this weekend, and I am thrilled that the shuttle launch is now re-scheduled for Tuesday!!! I know that most of the boys could not afford an All-Access pass at the space center(I think it's about $40 a person) for that day, or if we could even purchase passes for 30 people at this late date. Does anyone know of a good place to (even barely) see the shuttle go up for free? This would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most of these guys---they are all in favor of skipping Early Entry at MGM to see the launch if possible. Are there places near Cocoa Beach to park 2 Suburbans and 2 vans, in order to see the launch from the beach? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Mic said:
My son's boy scout troop is leaving for a trip to Disney World this weekend, and I am thrilled that the shuttle launch is now re-scheduled for Tuesday!!! I know that most of the boys could not afford an All-Access pass at the space center(I think it's about $40 a person) for that day, or if we could even purchase passes for 30 people at this late date. Does anyone know of a good place to (even barely) see the shuttle go up for free? This would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most of these guys---they are all in favor of skipping Early Entry at MGM to see the launch if possible. Are there places near Cocoa Beach to park 2 Suburbans and 2 vans, in order to see the launch from the beach? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

There are all kinds of parks with access to the water along the route to Cocoa Beach where I am sure you could get a clear view of the Shuttle. I remember back in 1982 we were at Sea World and could see the Shuttle in the air after it launched. I would make a suggestion to contact the Kennedy Space Center and see if they have any type of discounted admission or special programs where you could get the boy scouts in to view the launch. Back in 1993 my Brother was working as a college co-op student at KSP and we had special access to view a launch during our stay....unfortunately the launch was terminated with less than a minute to go. :sad1: It was a bummer! We had gotten up SOOOOOOO early to make the trip there and get in position and the seating and view we had were a once in a lifetime thing and we were very disappointed! Good luck and if I were you I would definitely get in contact with them and see what they can do for you! It never hurts to ask!

If you do go, be sure to get there VERY early. Traffic will become prohibitive after about 9am. If you cannot go you can still see the shuttle go up. It leaves an enormous trail and looks like a massive bright light shooting upward. You can see it from most places in Disney just by looking in the right direction at the right time.

cleo said:
If you do go, be sure to get there VERY early. Traffic will become prohibitive after about 9am. If you cannot go you can still see the shuttle go up. It leaves an enormous trail and looks like a massive bright light shooting upward. You can see it from most places in Disney just by looking in the right direction at the right time.

Since the launch on Tuesday is at 10:39, KSC visitors center is opening at 6:30AM. Traffic will get very messy at 7:30, since most people will be required to come by that time to board buses and such. So, yep I would plan on leaving pretty early.

Never having been to Florida during a shuttle launch, I have a few qestions. About how far is KSC from Disney? Are there any other places that you can go where you can see the shuttle?

We had launch tickets for the scrubbed July 13th launch. On the way we saw a park on Rt 1 in Titusville with off street parking and a waterfront view. You can get a clear view of the launch pad in the distance. Get there as early as possible. Driving from Disney will take about 90 minutes. - When we went on July 13 it was an afternoon launch time and the traffic along Rt 1 at 9:30am was not too bad but after the scrub it was bumper to bumper. Can't remember the name of the park but when you get off 528 onto rt 1 it will be on the right about 2 miles before the Astronaut Hall of fame.

Here's a list of Cocoa Beach public parks - some have a parking fee. The shuttle should be visible as soon as it clears the tree line.

http://www.visitflorida.com/cms/index.php/id=528

Go to Cocoa Beach. The beach has a great view. By the way the cost of the entrance is crazy. It use to be free for anyone and now a private company has it and its money money money.

KangarooRat said:
How far is it from WDW to the Space Center? I would like to visit that too.

On a average day with normal traffic, a 45 min. - 1 hour drive.

On busy days like a launch day, probably a lot longer.

We stayed at Cocoa Beach during our trip and we could see the launch platforms from the beach. It is probably 10-15 miles as the crow flies from Cocoa Beach to the launch platforms.
IM000691.jpg

Here is a picture of the view from the beach to the launch platform.

Also, the entry fee for KSP is how they fund the operations of the center. All the buildings, displays, etc. have been built through the admission costs and priviate donations, no government money. I would ask the boys if they wanted to do the tour and if there is some way you could help pay, through fundraising maybe, for the tour. It is well worth the money spent, although on launch day, it will be hugely busy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter