Kelly or Whitney?

Whose better?

• Whitney Houston

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Kelly Clarkson

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

Whitney had natural talent. Kelly has raw talent and you can tell she has worked her butt off to become one of the most technically proficient singers out there today she is just phenomenal. Whitney for sure sang it better though, when she could, actually string the whole song together without all the obnoxious pauses and the talking voice.

Kelly can do a very good Whitney impression.

And I think her recent performance was trying to find a spot between Whitney and Dolly. I don't know that it was successful, but it was distinctly Kelly.

Both are amazing singers. Kelly was one of the few people who was able to turn a win on American Idol into a successful singing career. Whitney was also an amazing singer although the live version posted above isn't one of my favorites and it strayed too far from the original version. Dolly's version was also a hit but the remake by Whitney turned it more into a pop classic vs. country.

Kelly can also sing several different genres.

Mixtape Medley with Ariana Grande and Kelly Clarkson | That’s My Jam - YouTube

They were both good. I think Kelly has a more raspy voice and the song sounded country. Whitney on the other hand, had a more smoother voice which made the song sound different. They both hit that high note towards the end really well, but for the overall song, I'd have to go with Whitney.

Both are amazing singers. Kelly was one of the few people who was able to turn a win on American Idol into a successful singing career. Whitney was also an amazing singer although the live version posted above isn't one of my favorites and it strayed too far from the original version. Dolly's version was also a hit but the remake by Whitney turned it more into a pop classic vs. country.

Kelly can also sing several different genres.

Mixtape Medley with Ariana Grande and Kelly Clarkson | That’s My Jam - YouTube

The thing about the version I posted for Whitney is that you know it's not lip sync. It's hard to know for sure if the Kelly version is lip sync.

Here's the music video from the Bodyguard. This is heavily produced in the studio, so it's not the same as live.

The thing about the version I posted for Whitney is that you know it's not lip sync.
Yeah, that's pretty clear.
Whitney for sure sang it better though, when she could, actually string the whole song together without all the obnoxious pauses and the talking voice.
It's frustrating to listen when she's doing that, but I also respect the way she uses that voice as the instrument it was. It's pretty amazing how she just slides from the talking and the pauses right back into the song. Sometimes I think she was just flexing, but if anyone should, it's her.

Lip sync doesn't really bother me as long as the performer is the person whose voice we are hearing. Some live shows have challenging circumstances where they might record the tracks ahead of time for better playback.

Whitney! Still had goose bumps when I clicked the link. (Her Star Spangled Banner will make my misty eyed every time.)

I do like Kelly, and she did a fabulous job. I usually scoff when I hear someone else singing this song … but not this time.

I love Kelly but Whitney + this song always gives me chills and makes me teary. I find this version a bit overdone but even still it’s breathtaking.

Same.

It's like All Along the Watchtower. I much prefer Jimi Hendrix's remake over the original Bob Dylan version. Sometimes remakes are better than the original.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter