Keeping sand out of baby's eyes, goggles??

Nothing. When the baby gets sand in his eyes, that's my cue that he's done with the beach. He's 12 months now, but started going to the beach at 6 months. Goggles would never work with him. I can't even keep a hat on!
Thus, we rarely go to the beach ;) Even on CC, we only stayed for a bit. The rest of the family played while I took baby back to the ship. It's just part of parenting a little one.

We never really worried about it. Both of our kids have been to the beach under 18 months and they had a grand time. Sand in their eyes wasn't a problem. We just made sure we brought talcum powder to help clean the sand off that managed to sneak into the diapers.

What do you do now when you are around sand? Do you go to local beaches (ocean, lake, etc.) or use a sandbox?

Last edited:

Hi, what do you all do for eye protection from sand for your baby, ours will be 19 months, when they are at the beach?

I place mine in a bubble and leave them at home guarded by ninjas and the fire department.That way NOTHING can happen to them. Seriously, the most difficult thing to worry about is exposure to sun - spray early and repeat every so often.

Its more important to protect baby eyes from the sun - you dont really need to worry about the sand in that way.
I recommend Baby Banz sunglasses, a great big hat, sunscreen, and swimsuits that cover as much skin as possible.

I 2nd the baby sunglasses..
They have strap on the back so you can tighten it.. Similar to goggles.
This is probly the best thing your going to find to keep the sand out of baby's eyes.
It doesn't seem to be a huge problem on Castaway cay tho..
The sand is much differnet them what we have experience in the past.
my 3 year did a face plant into the sand and quick wipe with the towel seems to help more than anything.

Neither of my girls would keep sunglasses on their face for more than 2 minutes at that age. I can't even imagine them keeping googles on. I don't recall it being an issue. In fact sunscreen getting in their eyes seemed to be a bigger problem.

I agree. Sand really isn't so much a problem as the sun. I was putting sun block on myself religiously every 45 minutes while at CC. We even had a Cabana that provided full shade when not by the water. Even with that, I had a sunburn so badly I had blisters all over my shoulders. The kids each had on the shirt type swimsuits by Skinz and they didn't get even the slightest bit of a sunburn. Next time I will be finding an adult version of those suits. I was miserable all night and the following two days. Babies burn even more. But a 19 month old is old enough to tech them to keep their hands out of their eyes. Otherwise natural consequences and a quick eye rinse will teach them. At 19 months, the lessons can begin, keep your sun glasses on, or we go away from the fun. Every time they pull them off, put them on the chair/towel away from the activities. After a couple of minutes bring them back. Then repeat. They do get it if you stick to it.

Hi, what do you all do for eye protection from sand for your baby, ours will be 19 months, when they are at the beach?

My DS (12 months) and I just got back from our cruise. I had to watch him like a hawk. He loved grabbing a lot of sand while playing on the shore. Then, he tried to eat it. So, each time he went near his face with sand on his hands, I grabbed his hands and rinsed them with water. At this age, he puts everything in his mouth.

My DS (12 months) and I just got back from our cruise. I had to watch him like a hawk. He loved grabbing a lot of sand while playing on the shore. Then, he tried to eat it. So, each time he went near his face with sand on his hands, I grabbed his hands and rinsed them with water. At this age, he puts everything in his mouth.

Your post made me giggle and brought back some great memories. My DS loved chewing on rocks. I'd turn my back, hear a grinding noise then I'd be digging a rock out of his mouth. He was so sneaky and fast!!! I have no clue how he didn't chip or break a tooth! He also loved taking handfuls of sand and rubbing it his hair. Made bath time just wonderful LOL!!!!

Your post made me giggle and brought back some great memories. My DS loved chewing on rocks. I'd turn my back, hear a grinding noise then I'd be digging a rock out of his mouth. He was so sneaky and fast!!! I have no clue how he didn't chip or break a tooth! He also loved taking handfuls of sand and rubbing it his hair. Made bath time just wonderful LOL!!!!

Yep, DS is quick! He definitely ate some sand, even though I watched him like a hawk. He had sand in every crack and crevice afterwards. He REALLY enjoyed the beach! I don't enjoy the cleanup afterwards, but seeing his enjoyment makes it worth it. :)

I agree. Sand really isn't so much a problem as the sun. I was putting sun block on myself religiously every 45 minutes while at CC. We even had a Cabana that provided full shade when not by the water. Even with that, I had a sunburn so badly I had blisters all over my shoulders. The kids each had on the shirt type swimsuits by Skinz and they didn't get even the slightest bit of a sunburn. Next time I will be finding an adult version of those suits. I was miserable all night and the following two days. Babies burn even more. But a 19 month old is old enough to tech them to keep their hands out of their eyes. Otherwise natural consequences and a quick eye rinse will teach them. At 19 months, the lessons can begin, keep your sun glasses on, or we go away from the fun. Every time they pull them off, put them on the chair/towel away from the activities. After a couple of minutes bring them back. Then repeat. They do get it if you stick to it.

I burn in 10 minutes flat without sunscreen, but I HATE sunscreen. Maybe it's a lifetime of using it combined with the fact that I have to use such a high SPF, which is just gross-feeling on the skin. Anyway, I bought a long-sleeved swim shirt from Lands End and it is hands-down the best swim/sun protection I've ever bought. It saves me from having to apply sunscreen to my arms and shoulders at all. I love it! And it's actually nice and cool-especially once it's wet. It's 100% worth it. I may need to buy another this year just because. I highly recommend it.

Eyelids...

Kidding! Kind of. I agree with pp if sand is getting in his/her eyes it's time to pack it in. I could barely keep a hat on dd at 19 months!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter