Keeping medication cool on plane

mukorasirish

Mouseketeer
Hi!
In June we will be traveling from Boston to Orlando via plane. Both my daughter and I have medications that need to be refrigerated. I have heard about freezing grapes but was wondering what the best option was? We have a small well insulated bag. My mom suggested just putting a bag of frozen corn in there but I want to make sure whatever we use will stay cool enough through the drive to the airport, the flight, the trip to the hotel and the wait for the room. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

frozen peas, corn etc work. I would put it in an insulated bag. Once you get past security at the airport you can ask a restaurant for ice if you need it. (Bring some empty ziplock bags.) If you are staying at a Disney hotel, I have had luck asking them to keep it in cold storage while waiting for our room. Just make sure your name and phone number are on the outside of the bag.

call the airline to find out exactly what their policy is on cooling meds.. they may have a way for you to bring an ice brick onto the plane with you... I have seen a post where they wet dish sponges and froze them, then placed them in zip lock bags. to use as ice blocks... each airline would have their own policies... you may need to get a letter from your doctor... I know the airlines want all meds in their original containers.. good luck..

Frozen grapes, frozen peas, frozen corn, frozen sponges -- those are all suggestions I have read as well. As a note, it is not AIRLINE policy but TSA policy that's important. Here is the TSA website with regards to liquid medications:
It does state "Accessories required to cool medically necessary liquids– such as freezer packs or frozen gel packs – are also permitted through the screening checkpoint ..." However, I have heard that the freezer/gel packs must be in solid form when going through TSA, which is not mentioned here. I'd hate for you to plan on getting by with a partially thawed freezer pack and have a TSA agent who is cranky that day. The advice I've always had was that if you live close enough to get to the airport before a freezer pack begins to thaw, it will be good. If not, try to have one of the other suggestions and as mentioned you can request some ice once past the TSA screening point. A challenge may be how to get the items back home at the end of your vacation unless you have a good fridge with a freezer at your resort. Another key point is to declare the medication before starting the screening.

Depending on the medication and the container, a FRIO pack may work for your needs. They are designed for insulin, but there are various sizes and will accommodate different pen-style devices as well as small vials. They will keep the medication at the temperature when first inserted to the FRIO for up to maybe 3 days, definitely long enough for travel.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:
call the airline to find out exactly what their policy is on cooling meds.. they may have a way for you to bring an ice brick onto the plane with you... I have seen a post where they wet dish sponges and froze them, then placed them in zip lock bags. to use as ice blocks... each airline would have their own policies... you may need to get a letter from your doctor... I know the airlines want all meds in their original containers.. good luck..
Airlines have nothing to do with it. The TSA has jurisdiction over this area. You do not need original prescription bottles unless it is a state requirement. Here is a link to the tsa website
http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/09/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-traveling-with.html
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/medically-necessary-liquids-gels-and-aerosols

Start with the frozen sponges or grapes. Take some empty baggies with you. While you're sitting around the airport find a restaurant with a self service drink fountain and fill the baggies with ice to boost your cooling. I've had success doing this on multiple trips and I've never been at a airport that didn't have ice available.

I just bring an ice pack, or sometimes multiple ice packs, in a small thermal bag. Have done this when flying with meds, and also with breastmilk. Have never had a problem! I would say I've done 4 or 5 round trip flights with ice packs.

When I was on injectable refrigerated medication and flew, I put my meds in a thermal bag with an ice pack. Alerted TSA to the fact that I was carrying injectable medicine that needed to be kept refrigerated. They checked it and that was it. It lasted on the plane and to the eco-resort we were staying in the Carribean for 11 or so hours. When we got there the desk kindly refrigerated it (we were camping). I traveled many times with injectable medicine post 9/11 and always did the following:
1. Put it in a well insulated cooler (really a "work" lunch bag should be fine) with an ice pack
2. Declared I had it in the TSA line
3. Carried the original label or the box the med came in
4. Refrigerated it immediately upon arriving at destination
5. Carried extra zip-locks in case of delays (you can ask restaurants for ice)

You can take actual ice packs for medical needs. Like above, just declare them right away. We have traveled with ice packs the last four flights with no trouble, I did have the TSA guidelines printed just in case they gave me any trouble but it was no issue and ice packs would keep cooler than frozen vegetables.

ETA: Bell services at Disney resorts have always been able to freeze my ice packs the night before our flight home. Depending on where you stay, that may be an option for the return flight.

Last edited:
I have always used double bagged ziplock filled with ice inside of an insulated lunch box and have NEVER had an issue with TSA once they see the meds (in fact I cannot think of the last time they even looked inside the lunch box). We do fly often but I am PreCheck so that may make a difference...

Check with your pharmacist to see how long the meds can be left at room temperature. Many refridgerated meds are stable at room temp for as long as 12 hours

I fly all the time with my refrigerated injectable meds. A blue ice works great or I also have a bag that freezes. I got it at Target, but Amazon sells them. Look up Packit Personal Cooler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter