Keeping kids busy in line.

lanesmom6

Earning My Ears
What kinds of tips do you have for ways to pass the time in line. My child is 6.

Sometimes, to keep my kids entertained we do "thumb wars" or "I Spy". Or with my son, "I'm thinking of a Star Wars character" and he has to guess who it is. Sort of like a star wars themed "20 questions". :-) We take turns thinking of someone and that keeps him entertained for quite a while. :-)

I used to babysit for my sister's children, and I usually had the youngest with me before she started school, which meant sometimes I had to go places where we'd have to wait in line or a waiting area. I'd usually start asking her questions like, "how many blue shirts do you see?" or somesuch or we'd play the alphabet game, you know, find something for every letter. Animals, Disney things, foods. It worked like a charm.

:) Swing on the chain ropes and use the metal que bars as a jungle gym.

Sorry I just had to say it...and yes I am kidding. You guys have great ideas though. I wonder if they will work on a 49 year old firefighter that happens to travel with me everywhere.

Disney trivia! I always pull up interesting facts about WDW or find Disney character trivia and make a game of it. Super fun!

Pipe cleaners. Kinda can bend them into all kinds of shapes. They are lightweight and easy to pack.

I usually bring the very small etch-a-sketchs. The kids draw something and we guess what it is. They also really enjoy looking at the pictures we've taken on the screen of the camera or our phones.

I buy a variety of cheap little toys and puzzles at the dollar store as well as some trivia cards and madlibs. We do the trivia cards and madlibs in line and save the toys for long waits in the restaurants. It also helps with the crayon boredom that sets in after a few days.

Once we had two teams going in a big line for the safari made up of the families around us who wanted to get in on the trivia action. I was pleasantly surprised when a 9-year old boy was actually disappointed when he reached the front of the line!

I really don't know. Eye spy or plan what's next. We went in September last year and on 80% of the rides it took us longer to walk through the empty turnstiles to get to the line than it did waiting once we got to the end.

Stacy

We don't plan much, but this year, my DD18 kept us entertained with lists she downloaded off her I-phone. Name the Top 10 Movies of All time, Name the Top 10 Books from the last 50 years, etc. Others around us joined in too.

I 2nd pipe cleaners. I always get weird looks at security but the kids love them ;) I even get into it and have made some pretty elaborate things. We always end up with a dozen little mickey balloons tied to out stroller handle b/c the refuse to throw them away LOL. Makes it easy to find.

They also love little notebooks and a pen or crayons.
The lines are pretty interesting to look at most of the time so sometimes they like to just take it all in.

Hi there!

I work with tiny people, some games you can play with out causing too much distraction are:

Simon says: (Once you've had enough say "simon says hold out your hand...no no the other hand! Of course, you've not said simon says hold out the other hand, gets them every time ;) )

Grumpy pirate: One person is picked as the grumpy pirate and has to pull a super serious face. One by one, everyone has to try and make the pirate laugh by pulling a face or telling a joke. If you make the pirate smile you get to be the grumpy pirate!

Hot chocolate: One person is the story teller. All the other players have to hold on to one of the story tellers fingers. The story teller makes up a story and when they say "hot chocolate" the other players say "hot chocolate one", the story carries on again until "clumsy Uncle Bert spilt hot chocolate all over the jumper Aunt Elizabeth knitted for him" *hot chocolate two!*

When you get to "hot chocolate three" everyone has to quick quick quick sit down (normally they run and you chase them.. but that's won't work!) and the last person standing becomes the story teller. Of course it doesn't have to be hot chocolate.. I have no idea why I always play it with those words!

Crazy creature paper game: The first person draws a crazy creature head, then folds the paper over showing just the neck, and the next person draws the body on and folds it over again just showing the tops of the legs for the next person to join the legs to and so on. Then you unfold it to have a look at your silly monster!

Story game: Start telling a story, "Once upon a time there was a lonely bear who lived in the woods. He wished he could have a friend but all the other animals were frightened of him! Every time he tried to make friends the animals all squeaked and ran away, that was until he met..." The next person has to carry on from where you left off, and tell a bit more of the story and so on.

Teach clapping rhymes, sing songs, play paper games like hangman, pictionary or anagrams, play "who am I?" by giving clues about a Disney character and the other person has to guess who...uuum I think that's all I can come up with right now!

I hope the instructions make sense :-) I have been known to ramble.

I love the pipe cleaner idea! I'm going to start carrying around a handful ::yes::

Sorry I just had to say it...and yes I am kidding. You guys have great ideas though. I wonder if they will work on a 49 year old firefighter that happens to travel with me everywhere.

I laughed when I read this!
If you asked my kids what there favourite way to pass the time in line was, this would definitely be their answer! :rotfl:

We were behind this family yesterday at Epcot in line for Figment (yes Figment actually had a line:crazy2:). Mom and dad were attached to their devices and ignored all 3-4 kids as they hit, and swung on the chains. When the CM asked for a small party- we were more than happy to volunteer LOl

As far as what to do in line- dd likes wiki sticks. They are like wax covered pipe cleaners. Bright colors and you can make more "designs". Michaels and Joanns sell them in their summer fun isles.

one of my favorite things is getting the little books of disney trivia or the hidden mickeys and read the ones about the ride or show we're going on.

we have a 7 year old boy. I tried and tried to keep him busy while we were in line in March. LOL it worked about 25% of the time. the other 75% was getting him to quit climbing. sigh... we did I spy, trivia and hand games. If my phone wasn't so quick to die throughout the day I would have just given him that. It was a struggle to keep him from climbing. Not just in line. It was everywhere.It is everywhere. He is doing it here at home too. His favorite spot to play is the pine tree across the street. I am hoping he will be out of this stage for our next visit. I love everyones ideas!

Thanks to these threads I was able to plan for the long hot boring line ups. First fun thing to do is to grab a map on the way in and have them pick out their 'must dos' for the day. Thats only good for the first couple of rides then it gets boring. lol

I also stocked up on little trinkets and toys from the dollar store. One of my favourite memories from our last trip last April ('12) was in the line for Pirates of the Caribbean. The kids were getting antsy so I whipped out the mini bottles of bubbles you can get for party favours. My kids were preoccupied with blowing the bubbles while all the little ones around us had a blast popping them. Moms, Dads and kids all happy all at once!:cheer2:

We also had a character encyclopedia to read and get autographs that had stickers the kids liked to play with and hand out to other little ones in line.

The kids were getting antsy so I whipped out the mini bottles of bubbles you can get for party favours. My kids were preoccupied with blowing the bubbles while all the little ones around us had a blast popping them. Moms, Dads and kids all happy all at once!:cheer2:

Please, please, do not blow bubbles in line! People who do not like them are trapped and can't get away from them! Bubbles are not camera friendly, nor are they I-Pad friendly. They can also stain clothes, and some people are very allergic to the solution.:worried: And if you have a skin allergy, it is not as simple as wiping off the offending solution. I'm allergic to certain things, and if I come into contact with those things, the rash can last for weeks.

Not to mention, a little one can try and chase a bubble and end up falling down, or tripping on a queue chain, or running into other guests. And if the solution gets on the ground it is very slippery!

Please, no bubbles in line!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter