• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Keeping Hydrated in August

ewspy87

Mouseketeer
Our family is planning a trip this year for the last week of August. Previously we have always gone fall or spring. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for hydration packs or bottles they have used. The biggest thing is maneuvering them for getting on and off rides.

I have a fanny pack set up that holds two plastic water bottles that i have used before. Instead of wearing it around my waist i sling it over a shoulder. That way i can carry the bottles on my back while walking and switch them to the front to ride a ride. I don't like leaving it behind at the ride start.

With all the talk about how hot it gets in August i'm thinking all four of us will need our individual hydration solutions. There is my wife and I and also our two sons 9 and 13.

I have been in August (2nd week) when the temps were in the lower 90s/high 80s. It all depends on the year. If you prepare yourself for how aweful the heat is going to be, you may be surprised with a lower than average week. I'm crossing my fingers that that is the case as we are going the last weeek in August as well.
BTW, they will give you ice water for free at any and all quick service restaurants. We just brought flavor packets with us on our last trip, and are planning to do the same this time.

We usually go for New Year but have been in June and August as well. I think that it depends on where you are from. We live in hot hot hot Texas, so hot humid weather is the norm for us and we did great, despite not lugging around hydration systems and the like. As a matter of fact, the last August trip we didn't have a stroller much of the time so we didn't even carry water bottles at all - just bought a few in the parks and refilled. Granted, we are used to the heat and humidity.

If you are from a milder climate and heat really bothers you then I recommend taking extra precautions, but if heat doesn't bother you that much I wouldn't overplan the hydration aspect. There are so many shady areas and most of the queues are covered and/or indoors. Travelling light will help keep you cool too.

YMMV, of course and you know what is best for your family.

And of course it all gets tossed out the window if there is a horrible heat wave.

We were at DL in August this summer--the hottest week of the year there. It was just as miserable as any summer trip I have ever made to WDW! HOT and HUMID...YUCK!

I carried a backpack with two Camelbak Better Bottles for me and my daughter. If I had known it was going to be so hot while we were there, I would have gotten the Camelbak Backpack with an even larger reservoir. We just kept refilling the bottles with "free" water and powdered drink packets.

I like Camelbak bottles because they are "one handed" in operation. You can open/close them with one hand, which is a good thing if you have your hands full with a small child!

We visit the world often in the summer months. We stopped carrying around water bottles a few years ago. The last few trips we have had the DDP and don't use all the snack credits so we use a few to get bottled water while in the parks. We also just get the large cups of free ice water from the vendors when we want a drink.....it works really well, we get a drink and sit down for 10 minutes while we drink it. A rest and hydration all in one.

We were there the last week of August last year, I we all thought it was totally bearable by Florida standards. We have been there during heatwaves in June the eyar before, and this was awesome. (Although maybe not typical, don't know) Maybe the low crowds is a factor.....

We went the last week in Aug last summer and are going the same time this summer. I have a backpack cooler that I put water bottles in that are already chilled. We take turns carying it.

In 2008 and 2009 we went during the 3rd week of August. It was hot. My son (4 and 5 at the time) did well though. I actually brought a backpack and filled it with a few bottles of water. We had water shipped down in 2009 when we were staying on-site and and in 2008 we stayed off site so we used re=usable water bottles. I learned a great tip from someone on a Tip Thread on this board..Water Bobbles...refillable water bottles with built-in filters..save money on water bottles. They are online at Amazon or JC Penny. We dressed as light as possible and we had a great time. It really wasn't too too bad. It was hot but manageable. Enjoy your trip!!!!

I bought aluminum water bottles from the Disney Store. They have clips so you can attach them to your belt loops when you're on a ride or in line.

I have gone late August the past few years... some have been oppressively hot and others have been decent...

I always plot my day to build in some down time in the middle of the day. usually I trek back to the resort and plunk down in the pool for an hour to lower my core temps.

Then as it starts to cool down, I head back to the parks...

I have taken a water bottle with me in the past - kept it frozen so that as it melts I have cold water to enjoy.

In the parks there are a number of great options - when I am in Epcot, I head over to the Coca Cola cool spot and try a sample or two... with kids, they have the fountains they can jump through to get cooler. In Hollywood, I find a great way to cool down is to get on the Great Movie Ride - its long enough that I cool down and I always get a kick out of watching the CMs run the script....

In the past, we have also packed a washcloth in a ziplock bag. When we get really overheated, we would rinse the washcloth in cool water and rinse our necks off... it worked to keep me cool....

Of course, at that time of year, often nature provides its own cooling showers in the afternoon....

In 2008 and 2009 we went during the 3rd week of August. It was hot. My son (4 and 5 at the time) did well though. I actually brought a backpack and filled it with a few bottles of water. We had water shipped down in 2009 when we were staying on-site and and in 2008 we stayed off site so we used re=usable water bottles. I learned a great tip from someone on a Tip Thread on this board..Water Bobbles...refillable water bottles with built-in filters..save money on water bottles. They are online at Amazon or JC Penny. We dressed as light as possible and we had a great time. It really wasn't too too bad. It was hot but manageable. Enjoy your trip!!!!

I bought my first bobble recently and it works great! The water tasted really nice and clean. You can find them in Old Navy stores in their sports clothing section. One of the cool things about the bobble is that they are a clear bottle, but the filters come in different colours. Great way to differentiate between everyone's bottles.

We have a Camelbak backpack. We fill it with ice from our hotel room and add water and powdered Gatorade. Keeps cold and keeps you hydrated. It's also nice having the backpack as you can store raincoats or packages in it. My DH helps carry it and we don't have any problems with it on rides.

We went in September and it was in the low 90s all week. We just used the free ice water from the parks. I think the flavor packets are a great idea, but you may not have to use them all of the time. For some reason, the ice water tastes different at different vendor locations. All of the water from the vendor carts tastes nasty (and I would use flavor packets if I were you). I think this may be because the water isn't filtered well, but I have no idea. The cafe at the Norway pavilion has the best ice water IMO (weird, I know). If you are lucky enough to get free ice water that doesn't taste like it came out of a swamp (or in the case of the german quick service restaurant, sauerkraut. Yuck!:sick:), just drink the water.

I agree that the lighter you travel, the happier you will probably be. The benefit of using the ice water in the parks is that you don't have to lug around a hydration backpack or even a water bottle.

Thank you all for your ideas. I think i will carry my usual and have some sort of small water bottle on a sling for my youngest (he is very pale and tends to dehydrate fast. i'll let my oldest and wife decide on their own.

We have been down during the hot summer months a few times. If you are staying at a hotel with a frig, buy a big pack of water bottles then put a few in the freezer overnight. This will keep them cool for at least a little while during the day. Then you can refill in a waterfountain or from the free ice water at quick service places. If you are picky about the taste make sure to bring flavor packets.

They also make little tiny fans and spray bottles that are great. I live in south now, but still haven't acclimated from my northern roots. Having a spray bottle with me is the only thing that cools me down.

We have been down during the hot summer months a few times. If you are staying at a hotel with a frig, buy a big pack of water bottles then put a few in the freezer overnight. This will keep them cool for at least a little while during the day. Then you can refill in a waterfountain or from the free ice water at quick service places. If you are picky about the taste make sure to bring flavor packets.

They also make little tiny fans and spray bottles that are great. I live in south now, but still haven't acclimated from my northern roots. Having a spray bottle with me is the only thing that cools me down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter