Keeping Cool

Enter User Name

Mouseketeer
Hello, I tried asking this question on another thread but received no answers so I will try again here.
My daughter has heat and sun related problems. I am trying to plan my days, FP+, ADRs, etc. We are going to WDW at the end of August beginning of September

My questions are:
What time does the heat start to rise during the day?
What time does the temperature start to drop back down?
Which attractions have the coolest queues?
Which attractions could be the hottest or most problematic for people with heat related issues?
What are the best places to stay cool and have fun?

We carry a parasol with an electric fan, cooling wrist wraps, a cooling vest, evaporative neck ties, fan misters, and we are trying out a new gadget as well. Our dates are not changeable, we are unable to go during the cooler months, and want to make the best of the trip. We know our time in the parks will be limited due to the heat.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello, I tried asking this question on another thread but received no answers so I will try again here.
My daughter has heat and sun related problems. I am trying to plan my days, FP+, ADRs, etc. We are going to WDW at the end of August beginning of September

My questions are:
What time does the heat start to rise during the day?
What time does the temperature start to drop back down?
Which attractions have the coolest queues?
Which attractions could be the hottest or most problematic for people with heat related issues?
What are the best places to stay cool and have fun?

We carry a parasol with an electric fan, cooling wrist wraps, a cooling vest, evaporative neck ties, fan misters, and we are trying out a new gadget as well. Our dates are not changeable, we are unable to go during the cooler months, and want to make the best of the trip. We know our time in the parks will be limited due to the heat.
Any advice would be appreciated.
it is very hot just about all the time I would say get there as early as you can
the temps will get cooler when the sun goes down but it will still be hot
any that have indoor lines witch is a good number at Disney world most rids are covered or inside you may find some ride are out side in the direct sun for a bit of the ride if it is very long 7dmt is one I have seen people waiting out side
it dose rain here just about every day in the afternoon so be prepared for that bring any unbralla you can also use it for shade and take a break go back to your hotel and go swimming

But which rides have indoor lines?Or if most do, which ones do not?
Teacups? Jungle cruise? Expedition Everest? Peter Pan? Soaring?

I will use my FP+ for the ones that do not even if they are not "prime" attractions. I cannot remember details from when we were there in 2012. It was cold and rainy for much of the trip and there were no FP+.

most rides the line is in the shade I am not sure what one are inside I do know space is all in doors unless the line is very long POCB is inside and very cool soaring is indoors expedition is out door line in the shade ( but all I do is the fast pass line so I do not know about the reagluer Q peter pan flight I think is in door out door ( under shade again I do not know 100%

sorry I can not help you any more then that as I can not wait in lines

Unfortunately, you've picked a very hot and pretty humid time to visit the parks.

It's pretty much going to be warm- lows (at night) may be in the high 70s, days in the mid to high 90s with substantial humidity.

I would probably avoid World Showcase in Epcot during the day- there's minimal shade and it doesn't open early.

The Nemo show in the AK is one of the cooler environments. Hall of Presidents in the MK is cool. CoP is cool.

You might consider DisneyQuest as a cool place to be inside for an extended period.

Happy travels!

ok looking at MDE and this is just what I can remember so if any one else can help me with things

DHS I think the only ride that has a line that is partly outdoors is Twilight zone but most is indoors

AK out door lines tricara primeval Expidation ( under shade and might be in doors not sure)
keli ( never been on it so do not know) kilimjora out door in the shade but big fans in the line

Epcot I think all the rides are indoor but spaceship earth is out doors indoor line if test track i
line is very long i think it can start out side but is indoor most of the time

MK not to sure

Thanks! Hopefully some others will add more info and I can make a list and a game plan. This trip is stressing me out :(

ok looking at MDE and this is just what I can remember so if any one else can help me with things

DHS I think the only ride that has a line that is partly outdoors is Twilight zone but most is indoors

AK out door lines tricara primeval Expidation ( under shade and might be in doors not sure)
keli ( never been on it so do not know) kilimjora out door in the shade but big fans in the line

Epcot I think all the rides are indoor but spaceship earth is out doors indoor line if test track i
line is very long i think it can start out side but is indoor most of the time

MK not to sure

The Spaceship Earth attraction is inside; the queue is outside.
At DHS, the Indiana Jone Show and Lights, Motor, Action are outside attractions; the Great Movie Ride can have a queue that goes out the door, as does Toy Story Midway Mania. It's possible (but unlikely) to be waiting outside for the Muppets.

Last edited:
The Spaceship Earth attraction is inside; the ride is outside.

Um, I think you mean the queue is outside.

OP, depending on wait times, many attractions will have extended queues that spill outside. Most regular queues that are outside are at least shaded. But they will still be hot. Given this, its actually easier to say which attractions are air conditioned and have (mostly) indoor queues.

Off the top of my head:
AK: Dinosaur, ITTBAB, FOTLK ( outdoor queue), Nemo the musical (outdoor queue)
DHS: TSM, TOT (partly outside queue), GMR ( partly outside queue), Muppets, Star Tours ( partly outside queue), the Little Mermaid show, all of Animation building, One Mans Story.
Epcot: All of the FW rides and WS main attractions are indoors. Only the ones inside the Land pavilion are guaranteed to have a completely indoor queue in FW. Almost all of the WS main attractions have indoor waiting areas or queues.
MK: Generally all of the shows have an indoor pre show waiting area/ queue. POTCs queue is mostly inside, PPs new queue is mostly inside. Rides known for hot, outdoor queues queues include Tomorrowland speedway, Astro Orbiter, the Carousel, and (I think) the Tea Cups and Aladdin's Carpets.

Last edited:
OP I know we've corresponded a little as my husband has serious issues with the heat. The thing I found was that indoors did not always mean that much cooler depending on the attraction and how bad the crowds were. When standing in a big enough crowd even some of the indoor waiting areas with AC can still feel quite warm. May not be an issue for the average person but if your body has issues regulating temperature and you've just walked in the sun to get there and have to continue to stand for a bit you may find even some of those can be hard to manage. This was where we found the DAS and lots of pre-planning very helpful.

In MK, Jungle Cruise is entirely outdoors but with lots of shade, HM has a shaded outdoor waiting area, Peter Pan, Its a Small World, Winnie the Pooh as well. BTMRR I've always found rather warm too. Tea Cups, Carousel, Aladdin's carpet ride and Tomorrowland Speedway are entirely outdoors as well. The cooler ones were Little Mermaid, POTC, Mickey's Philharmagic, The Hall of Presidents, the M&G for Mickey, Tink and Ariel.

In Epcot the Nemo ride and aquarium as well as the Land are great places to hang out when the heat gets bothersome. The boat ride in Mexico is always very cool as well. But walking around the world can be tough in hotter temperatures. Using the boats to minimize walking can be helpful. A lot of the shows here are outdoors like the bands, drummers in Japan, acrobats in China. But if you take your time and spend time in the shops in each country that may be helpful. Or stop and watch some of the movies as well.

HS is a lot of shows and many are indoors which was helpful for my DH. Beauty and the Beast is outside and although covered I'd choose to see this during a cooler time of the day of possible. You can bring food in here so I usually go in with a frozen drink if it's a hot day. I don't recall spending time outdoors in any lines here really but we didn't go on a few.

Like pp said you can look up videos online to get an idea of lines that you may spend time outdoors but keep in mind covered or indoor lines may not be as cool as you think for your daughter.

I hope you have an awesome trip.

This was where we found the DAS and lots of pre-planning very helpful.

I have problems with the heat and the first time I went to disney I asked about the DAS card for it even after telling the CM that if I get to over heated I have a very good change of going to the ER ( I got one an hour latter for there problems that I have) I do find that with the DAS I tend to wait in the heat more then if I was in line

you can ask for a DAS and I think it will depend on what CM you get and how they feel that day.

I have problems with the heat and the first time I went to disney I asked about the DAS card for it even after telling the CM that if I get to over heated I have a very good change of going to the ER ( I got one an hour latter for there problems that I have) I do find that with the DAS I tend to wait in the heat more then if I was in line

you can ask for a DAS and I think it will depend on what CM you get and how they feel that day.

We had no issues getting one just a couple weeks ago. And it helped tremendously. I often did the running for return times so usually DH was on another ride, or sitting down eating or we'd grab them as we passed an attraction headed to lunch or for a break, etc. We didn't use it a ton but between that and FP+ we did a great job of lessening walking and time in the sun for DH. If he had to be the runner to get them all the time I could see it not being as helpful though.

We had no issues getting one just a couple weeks ago. And it helped tremendously. I often did the running for return times so usually DH was on another ride, or sitting down eating or we'd grab them as we passed an attraction headed to lunch or for a break, etc. We didn't use it a ton but between that and FP+ we did a great job of lessening walking and time in the sun for DH. If he had to be the runner to get them all the time I could see it not being as helpful though.
I do go solo so I have to get all my own return times I also have other problems that I can not be in a crowds for I think it could help the OP out but then again it may not and depending on what cast member you get at GR cn have a lot to do with it ( I have had a few bad ones and I have had a few that I was not even done explaining why I needed the DAS card and I had it.)

Thanks everyone, this is exactly the stuff I was hoping to find out!
As a parent we do everything we can to help our kids. Thank you for helping me help her :)

I found this thread really helpful as well. Both my kids take meds that make them heat-sensitive and for some reason we decided to go in AUGUST :scared: Oh, yeah, it was cheaper... Anyway, I'm pretty much freaking out since we were outside today in 80-degree weather and my son got over-heated. Ugh. yikes. Following in case any other useful info pops up here :teeth:

Now I just need to google these "frog tog" things everyone keeps mentioning.

I found this thread really helpful as well. Both my kids take meds that make them heat-sensitive and for some reason we decided to go in AUGUST :scared: Oh, yeah, it was cheaper... Anyway, I'm pretty much freaking out since we were outside today in 80-degree weather and my son got over-heated. Ugh. yikes. Following in case any other useful info pops up here :teeth:

Now I just need to google these "frog tog" things everyone keeps mentioning.

frog tog are a cooling cloth you get then wet and they help you stay cool there is also something called o2cool that dose the same thing so if one is cheeper then I would go for the cheeper one

Frogs toggs are fantastic! Just a tip....before ordering from Amazon (like I did), check Dollar stores, Five Below etc...cheaper!! I saw some a week after getting mine !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter