Keepin' it on the downlow(country) at HHI - New TR link - pg 31

First of all, I love how on Disney's Preferred Dining List there is a key for a single $ location - but no actual $ restaurants are offered! Typical Disney ;)

:rotfl2: Good catch Jenn!

That looks like the standard WDW bounty platter all right. At least you picked up some scrumptious sounding groceries, even if there was no Naked juice purchased!

It did have a lot of stuff on it, but not really something to split. Or ration out on a lifeboat or deserted island.

Oooof, talk about a saga just to find the beach. And bummer about the umbrella, especially since you went through all that trouble to bring the chairs in the first place. At least it seems like you had quite the relaxing afternoon.

Yeah, it got better once we finally settled into some chairs on the beach. :beach:
But getting there was a little more effort than we expected. But now we know how to get there and our chairs'll be ready and waiting for us every day. It's a shame though, the Costco chairs have seen zero use. But they did get to go for a nice bike ride.

I'm the same way Glenn. I absolutely need to unpack.

If it's just a couple of days I leave stuff in the luggage (hanging up my good shirts and pants, of course). But more than that, I unpack.

I'm kind of surprised you were able to get moving so quickly after sharing all that food. I figured you'd need a nap.

Yeah, it did kind of feel like post-Thanksgiving dinner :rolleyes:, but the beach was calling so we pushed through it.

"Should we get Naked?" OMG that is classic!!! I would have loved to see the expression on that lady's face.

Actually, the family says it more than me...they'll come home and report: "We got Naked at the grocery store!" "Wow, I bet you got some interesting looks."

Honestly Glenn, reading this I felt like I was right there with you on that journey to the beach. My goodness.

Thanks Rob. ;)

Oh, there was no imagining......uh uh.....no way!!!!! :eek:

:rotfl2:

Was going to tell you that's what I decided was the safest when I was there. Honestly, that map they give you doesn't do a very good job of reflecting what you actually see when you head there; at least I didn't think so. :confused: As a matter of fact, I wasn't a whole lot more clear about it after the van ride...... :rotfl2:

Yeah, I can see with the magic marker on the maps they gave us at check-in that they tried to describe it to us then too, but we just couldn't relate until we were there.

We never took the van. Once we got the bike ride down, we liked it.

That is bad at Cracker Barrel. Never had that happen but Vinny gets cold food all the time there. LOL.
The room is very nice.
Cute pins.
Love the pier pic.
Gotta watch some old people, they do have good hearing. LOl.

I tend to have an internal alarm clock any more. I simply do not seem to sleep past 7:00 am any more - even if I try! We usually like to unpack too, unless we're only there for a day or two. Then it's not worth the hassle. Breakfast looked nice, but not enough to share unless you really weren't hungry to start with... From your grocery list, sounds like some yummy meals may be coming up. Sounds like an ... interesting time, trying to find the beach on your bikes. Not fun, having your bike seat malfunction. All the hassle seems to be worth it, though. Just the thought of sitting on the beach, relaxing.... Ahhhhh... :cloud9:

That is bad at Cracker Barrel. Never had that happen but Vinny gets cold food all the time there. LOL.

:laughing: But I have to ask...are you ordering something that takes longer to prepare, which causes his plate to sit under a heat lamp while yours is finishing up?

The room is very nice.
Cute pins.
Love the pier pic.

We liked it.
Yeah, but...we didn't wear them. Just not the same at this little resort, in comparison to wearing pins at WDW.
Thanks, it's amazing what phones can do these days.

Gotta watch some old people, they do have good hearing. LOl.

Alert, keen-minded seniors with acute senses are no fun to be around. I liked it better when you could get away with stuff. :headache: :laughing:

I tend to have an internal alarm clock any more. I simply do not seem to sleep past 7:00 am any more - even if I try!

I can't sleep-in until lunchtime anymore, but I definitely vary my awake time depending upon whether it's a work day, weekend, or vacation day. Maybe that keeps me young? :scratchin

We usually like to unpack too, unless we're only there for a day or two. Then it's not worth the hassle. Breakfast looked nice, but not enough to share unless you really weren't hungry to start with... From your grocery list, sounds like some yummy meals may be coming up.

Yes, we did (or Judy did) a fair amount of cooking. And I did a much better job of getting photographic evidence than I did for the last trip report.

Sounds like an ... interesting time, trying to find the beach on your bikes. Not fun, having your bike seat malfunction. All the hassle seems to be worth it, though. Just the thought of sitting on the beach, relaxing.... Ahhhhh... :cloud9:

I really didn't think it would be that hard to find, and probably lots of other people have found it their first time with no problem, but we just didn't go far enough and then searched and searched. The guard shack made it look like our destination should have been before it, so we were a little confused, to say the least. But now that we know, we're good!

Sounds like a nice relaxing day, at least once you got to the beach!

Funny about the older woman overhearing your conversation! :rotfl2:

That's about our speed for splitting the bounty platter, it leaves you enough room to have some lunch too!

Yeesh, you take a few days off and miss three whole entries! :P Not that I have a problem with this uber efficient glennbo... :thumbsup2

That journey down sure seems like a long one... Shame about the bad dining experience. :headache: Never an enjoyable thing when that happens, but at least the barbecue food looked good!

I agree with Judy, I'm definitely in the too excited to reset the body clock camp. My parents were just glad I started restricting my 7am mornings to vacation days and not every weekend of the year! :laughing:

That resort seems really interesting too, nice view of the swamp there even if a resort was also in shot. Rooms seem nice, as does relaxing on that beach. The umbrella rental is a little steep for my tastes but I'd have paid anyway since I'm lazy like that! :)

I also noticed the preferred resteraunts lack of a budget option... Totally a coincidence of course... ;) though the in house menus seem reasonable enough. And I knew what was coming with the bounty platter, anything with that grand a name is usually somewhat diminutive lol.

Looking forwards to hearing more about the trip, as always :)

P.s. Ah yes, my Malta trip is in 2015 as my signature says, planning to get around the island more this time as we just stuck to the capital city last time we went there, so I should have plenty of photos. :goodvibes I might decide to do a trip report, though it probably won't be as detailed or photographically pretty as yours. Still, I'm sure I can whip something up should the mood take me... Though I don't know where it'd go on this forum, I'll look that up nearer the time!

The beach house is a little tricky to get to the first time! Kudos to you guys for riding there. I am far to lazy for that. We always drive. :rotfl2:

Score on the chairs at Costco. The last time I was there all 4 of us drove in the same car so there was no room for amenities like beach chairs and that sand is HARD!

I can't say I ordered anything to eat at the rest, but the breakfast platter does look pretty yummy!

Hey Howdy Hi! :wave2: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! HHI looks like a nice place to relax! I have to say I was a little surprised by the bird in a box décor. Were they real? (I'm not a PITA member or anything, but just would expect some kickback from someone) I love the view you had, minus the other resort. :rotfl2:

"Let's get Naked." :lmao: That will teach that lady to mind her own business.

I'm glad you found the beach house at some point - reminds me of our boat dock story. :goodvibes Of course since you bought chairs you had to rent a chair package - they watched you coming and changed the signs just before you walked in. :lmao: I'm glad you finally got to chill.

Sounds like a nice relaxing day, at least once you got to the beach!

Yes, once we got there, very much so.

Funny about the older woman overhearing your conversation! :rotfl2:

Maybe her look meant, "are you talking to me?" :wave2: :laughing:

That's about our speed for splitting the bounty platter, it leaves you enough room to have some lunch too!

Oh yeah, I had room for lunch! By about 9am.

Yeesh, you take a few days off and miss three whole entries! :P Not that I have a problem with this uber efficient glennbo... :thumbsup2

I'm sure you were thrown because of the pace of the last TR. :rolleyes:

That journey down sure seems like a long one... Shame about the bad dining experience. :headache: Never an enjoyable thing when that happens, but at least the barbecue food looked good!

Let me tell you, that barbecue was a perfect southern "welcome to HHI". Mmm.

I agree with July, I'm definitely in the too excited to reset the body clock camp. My parents were just glad I started restricting my 7am mornings to vacation days and not every weekend of the year! :laughing:

DisneyWorld, definitely. But at HHI, I didn't think I needed to get going too awfully early.

That resort seems really interesting too, nice view of the swamp there even if a resort was also in shot. Rooms seem nice, as does relaxing on that beach. The umbrella rental is a little steep for my tastes but I'd have paid anyway since I'm lazy like that! :)

We really liked the resort, and the beach was great. Yeah, with what I know now, next time I may look for something else to use, but it'd have to be transportable by bike ('cause I'd rather ride than drive or take the van) so that may be difficult to find.

I also noticed the preferred resteraunts lack of a budget option... Totally a coincidence of course... ;) though the in house menus seem reasonable enough. And I knew what was coming with the bounty platter, anything with that grand a name is usually somewhat diminutive lol.

Yeah, I had that same feeling the night before when she mentioned it, but you know, I do what I'm told. ;)

Looking forwards to hearing more about the trip, as always :)

Thanks Squidge.

P.s. Ah yes, my Malta trip is in 2015 as my signature says, planning to get around the island more this time as we just stuck to the capital city last time we went there, so I should have plenty of photos. :goodvibes I might decide to do a trip report, though it probably won't be as detailed or photographically pretty as yours. Still, I'm sure I can whip something up should the mood take me... Though I don't know where it'd go on this forum, I'll look that up nearer the time!

Well shoot, you know what I did? I saw the "7 days" and thought it was a countdown, not that the trip was 7 days long. I didn't even notice that it was 2015. Well, it'll be here before you know it.

I hope you do a report, I know next to nothing about Malta. popcorn::

The beach house is a little tricky to get to the first time! Kudos to you guys for riding there. I am far to lazy for that. We always drive. :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: You probably get up and jog to/from it...twice.

Score on the chairs at Costco. The last time I was there all 4 of us drove in the same car so there was no room for amenities like beach chairs and that sand is HARD!

They're really nice, but we never used them! Because of the rented chairs. Oh well, we'll hang onto them so they'll probably get some use someday.

I can't say I ordered anything to eat at the rest, but the breakfast platter does look pretty yummy!

Oh yeah, it was yummy. I could've eaten a couple of 'em.

Hey Howdy Hi! :wave2: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Hi Tammie! Thank you.

HHI looks like a nice place to relax!

Oh, it was a perfect vacation spot for relaxin'. :cloud9:

I have to say I was a little surprised by the bird in a box décor. Were they real? (I'm not a PITA member or anything, but just would expect some kickback from someone)

:laughing: No, not real! I agree, they'd take a fair amount of flak if they were stuffed birds or something. :rotfl2:

I love the view you had, minus the other resort. :rotfl2:

My disappointment with the view was really unjustified, at least for the room type. It was probably the best 1-BR in the whole place.

"Let's get Naked." :lmao: That will teach that lady to mind her own business.

But she had a great story for her bridge club!

I'm glad you found the beach house at some point - reminds me of our boat dock story. :goodvibes Of course since you bought chairs you had to rent a chair package - they watched you coming and changed the signs just before you walked in. :lmao: I'm glad you finally got to chill.

Seems like everybody sees me coming! I should just pre-sign all my checks and hand 'em out. :headache:

Glenn, catching up (Mark and I went to Vegas for a long weekend).

I'm exhausted just reading this update. From that big breakfast, the grocery shopping (you and my husband would get along so well "shall we get Naked" :lmao::lmao::lmao:), to the renting of the bikes, riding the bikes with all of your stuff, renting umbrellas...definitely time for a nap.

I'm glad you finally got settled and were able to enjoy the beach. It sounds heavenly.

Caught up on your arrival and your trek to the beach.

That is just unreal about Cracker Barrel. Were they waiting for the chickens out back to lay the eggs? What kind of excuses are there when the waitress knows the food is late, the manager knows the food is late, and you still don't have your food?

Sounds like your meal from Bullies made up for that though. Your plates looked awesome, correct wine pairing or not.

Room looks great, comfy and a pretty decent marsh view. Can't wait to see how it looks as the sun comes up and goes down.

Too funny about the woman overhearing your conversation. Good for you guys. Day two in your anniversary trip and you are already thinking of getting Naked. But it doesn't sound like you actually went through with it.

Wow, that was a lot of work to get to the beach!

Sounds like you were rewarded with some relaxation and downtime, though. Salt water cures many issues.

:goodvibes

So as we drove out of there, I made my first trip report note to make sure that I bash the Cracker Barrel in Emporia Virginia. Don't dis a DISer, Cracker Barrel, they'll write bad things about you in trip reports.
Wow... yeah, it isn't like you ordered something terribly complex. I think you made the right call by leaving. Should have done it sooner.

But I can totally see it being like that episode of Seinfeld where they're waiting at the Chinese place and then leave as their name as called.

Glennbo walks out the door as the server is putting his plate on the table. :lmao:

Oh, and one more thing. We are not quite done walking out of restaurants on this trip. :scared1:
:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

All right, I know that you're probably almost as eager as I was to see the suite, so let's move on to some room pictures. Newly renovated room pictures!
The room looks awesome, and it might be the camera angles, but the balcony looks fairly large too. Not a bad set up at all.

We plated up our Bullies take-out and sat down to our little feast. I posted a picture similar to this one on Instagram and said, "I hope I made the right wine selection. Prob'ly not, but we'll go with it."
Is there a "right" wine selection with BBQ??? They just don't seem like 2 things that necessarily go together. Now beer, on the other hand...

Judy laughed when she saw the "Bounty" Platter, since it wasn't going to go all that far between the two of us. But kind of like Jack Sprat and his wife, we split this up, but along gluten/gluten-free lines.
You got screwed on this deal. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

She told us that the only external websites they can go to are to print boarding passes. Her only advice to us was to go to the public library, which would be open the next day. Okay, so now we have chores for tomorrow too.
What??? Really??? Not even a business center of any sort in the resort for guests to access something like that??? :crazy2: :sad2:

Later, in my trip notes I wrote: "Had trouble finding Beach House, didn't go far enough. Should've gone past guard shack. Bikes suck. Need better brakes, handlebars are terrible ergonomically. My seat kept slipping all the way down, couldn't tighten it. Got grease all over my hands and some on my shirt."
I think I'd find alternate transportation at this point. :rotfl2:

I finally settled into my rented beach chair, with my feet up on the pull-out ottoman, the umbrella shading me, and my Costco beach chair (which I'd carted a mile+), like me, also resting against my now-rented beach chair.
Wow... what an ordeal to get an umbrella. You could probably have gone somewhere and bought a different umbrella for everyday with $132. :rolleyes1 I don't blame you for just renting it there though. There is definitely something to be said for convenience. And now you can leave those backpack chairs in the room.

Glenn, catching up (Mark and I went to Vegas for a long weekend).

Great, they were needing some ideas for the next "Hangover" movie. I'm sure you helped come up with some zany escapades.

I'm exhausted just reading this update. From that big breakfast, the grocery shopping (you and my husband would get along so well "shall we get Naked" :lmao::lmao::lmao:),

It's a guy thing. Any one of us would have said that.

to the renting of the bikes, riding the bikes with all of your stuff, renting umbrellas...definitely time for a nap.

Good thing we were on vacation, huh?! :faint:

I'm glad you finally got settled and were able to enjoy the beach. It sounds heavenly.

It really was. They've got a great beach there.

I think I might break down and actually read the directions if I had to assemble Ikea furniture. :scared:

Confession: I've never bought Ikea furniture. But I have a woodshop and have built my own stuff, so that counts.

:yay:

You can't trust Lando Calrissian.

+1:thumbsup2

Lando's copilot is one of my favorite characters, with that stupid laugh of his.

Caught up on your arrival and your trek to the beach.

I'm jealous of the beaches you've been on recently.

That is just unreal about Cracker Barrel. Were they waiting for the chickens out back to lay the eggs? What kind of excuses are there when the waitress knows the food is late, the manager knows the food is late, and you still don't have your food?

They didn't even bother trying to make excuses. Or rectify it either, apparently. It was weird.

Sounds like your meal from Bullies made up for that though. Your plates looked awesome, correct wine pairing or not.

Pretty darned good. And I did look at it as kind of making up for the lunch fiasco.

Room looks great, comfy and a pretty decent marsh view. Can't wait to see how it looks as the sun comes up and goes down.

Why yes, I will have some sunset pictures later.

Too funny about the woman overhearing your conversation. Good for you guys. Day two in your anniversary trip and you are already thinking of getting Naked. But it doesn't sound like you actually went through with it.

I did shower. But yeah, fully clothed. ;)

Wow, that was a lot of work to get to the beach!

Sounds like you were rewarded with some relaxation and downtime, though. Salt water cures many issues.

beach2.gif

Wow... yeah, it isn't like you ordered something terribly complex. I think you made the right call by leaving. Should have done it sooner.

But I can totally see it being like that episode of Seinfeld where they're waiting at the Chinese place and then leave as their name as called.

Glennbo walks out the door as the server is putting his plate on the table. :lmao:

That episode was just on last week! I think I mentioned it in another reply. That's exactly what I thought would happen...we'd start walking out and I'd look back and see our server walking toward our table with a tray of food.

The room looks awesome, and it might be the camera angles, but the balcony looks fairly large too. Not a bad set up at all.

Yeah, it was a nice-sized balcony. But we're not as big of verandah people as others around here. We just mostly used it as a spot to get sunscreened. :laughing:

Is there a "right" wine selection with BBQ??? They just don't seem like 2 things that necessarily go together. Now beer, on the other hand...

Yeah, and I had some...but Judy popped that bottle open so, I went with it.

You got screwed on this deal. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I know, but I love biscuits and hash browns too so it was hard to argue with my mouth full.

What??? Really??? Not even a business center of any sort in the resort for guests to access something like that??? :crazy2: :sad2:

No! That was my reaction too. A little tidbit that I left out of the narrative is that the concierge dropped a hint that I could visit the business center at a nearby hotel :rolleyes1 (I can't remember if it was a Sheraton or Hilton or what exactly), but Judy wasn't comfortable trying that.

I think I'd find alternate transportation at this point. :rotfl2:

It got better!

Wow... what an ordeal to get an umbrella. You could probably have gone somewhere and bought a different umbrella for everyday with $132. :rolleyes1 I don't blame you for just renting it there though. There is definitely something to be said for convenience. And now you can leave those backpack chairs in the room.

I was rolling other options around in my head, but meanwhile Judy had decided and was signing the credit card receipt. :rotfl2: Convenience! Vacation! Go with the flow.

Then Judy sent me on an errand to get breakfast from Tide Me Over, which is right beside the Mercantile (near the pool). She looked at the menu while we were there the night before and thought that we could split the Bounty Platter. I was like, "uh, okay". I doubted that it would be as much food as she seemed to think it would be, but I didn't really want to pay for two of them either. I figured it would be enough to at least get us to the grocery store.

I put my order in and posted this picture of the pier on Instagram while I waited.

IMG_1515_zps45594d7b.jpg

Judy laughed when she saw the "Bounty" Platter, since it wasn't going to go all that far between the two of us. But kind of like Jack Sprat and his wife, we split this up, but along gluten/gluten-free lines.

IMG_7790_zps033a284b.jpg

I cannot get my arms around the concept of sharing, even if I had suggested it there is NO way Jeff would have gone for it. It would have been 2, or head to the store earlier. LOL!

Later, in my trip notes I wrote: "Had trouble finding Beach House, didn't go far enough. Should've gone past guard shack. Bikes suck. Need better brakes, handlebars are terrible ergonomically. My seat kept slipping all the way down, couldn't tighten it. Got grease all over my hands and some on my shirt."

Not a good start so far. But it'll be okay, take a deep breath.

We went up to the Beach House before heading out to the beach so that I could wash up in the bathroom and also to fill our mugs at Signals. Then we walked out to the beach. We planned on renting an umbrella, but really hoped for a cabana like they had at Vero Beach. But Hilton Head is different than Vero. At Vero, the rentals are run by Disney, but here it's more of a public beach and the lifeguards handle the rental services. Basically, the only option available to rent is an umbrella with two chairs. Well, we had to have shade, so we took it. I briefly thought about making a trip to Wal-Mart and buying an umbrella, maybe not for today but for the rest of the week, but I let that idea go as convenience won out. It cost $32 for the first day plus $20 for each consecutive day, and you pay up-front. We paid through Friday, so it came to $132 plus tip. Yeah, that'd buy a pretty nice umbrella, but it'd be one more thing to lug to the beach. On a bike. Oh, and it never occurred to me to bring my credit card to the beach. All I had was my Key-to-the-World room key and my DVC membership card so that I could get a discount on the bike rental. Fortunately for us though, Judy had the forethought to bring her credit card along with her or else we would've been out of luck.

I finally settled into my rented beach chair, with my feet up on the pull-out ottoman, the umbrella shading me, and my Costco beach chair (which I'd carted a mile+), like me, also resting against my now-rented beach chair. I took a moment to relax. The beach was gorgeous. It was low tide, and warm pools of water formed in the shallow areas for kids to play in. The sand was packed down, at least as far as the tide came in; farther inland, up near the grass, it was loose. But because of the hard-packed sand, we saw several people riding bikes on the beach. Okay, yeah, I didn't feel like doing that right now! But back to the beach description. There were really no seashells to speak of, just mostly sand. The waves were gentle and calm. And when we went into the water, it was nice and warm and oh so relaxing. The memory of the difficulty we had in finding the Beach House melted away. We spent the afternoon transitioning between cooling off in the water, reading, and...dozing in our chairs.

IMG_1519_zps6cc0b035.jpg

Up next: When the bubbles stop

I am very glad to read it improved, I was getting a bit stressed and worn out just reading about the ordeal to get there!

Pull out ottoman???

I cannot get my arms around the concept of sharing, even if I had suggested it there is NO way Jeff would have gone for it. It would have been 2, or head to the store earlier. LOL!

I don't even know what to say. :sad2: Maybe Jeff gets more exercise and I needed to cut down anyway? I don't know. I don't remember eating some of the groceries as we were putting them away, but I probably snacked on something!

I am very glad to read it improved, I was getting a bit stressed and worn out just reading about the ordeal to get there!

We were good after that, found our way around.

Pull out ottoman???

Yeah, I'm hoping that I have a picture that'll include it later on, but there was section for your feet that was under the main part of the chair. Once you rented the chairs, the lifeguard pulled that out for you. It occurred to us later that that's how they could quickly distinguish between the rented ones and available ones.

All right, I can only sit in a beach chair for so long...and then I've got to get in the water.

We took the waterproof camera out into the ocean and I proposed that we take a selfie.
Judy asked, "How's my hair look?"
"Um, beachy." I replied. And the phrase became our theme for the week.
The picture turned out pretty well and Judy wanted to post on it Facebook when we got back to the room, but more about that in a little bit.

Then I thought that I'd put the waterproof camera through its paces, and I tried to take an underwater selfie, but I couldn't stay underwater long enough.
"I'm too buoyant!", I said.
Judy offered a solution. "Do you want me to push down on your head?"
And I almost walked right into her scheme to collect on my life insurance policy. "How will you know when to let me up?".......

......... "WHEN THE BUBBLES STOP??!!"

"Hey, you said it, not me!", was Judy's attempt to feign innocence.

Yeah, I'll have to keep my eye on that one.

More fun occurred later, when we were back in our chairs. Judy was people-watching and saw a, shall we say "rather large", woman get up to move her chair back from the water as the tide was coming in. Her bathing suit straps weren't up at her shoulders but instead were hanging down around elbow height. With all of the motion involved in moving her chair, it apparently looked like a wardrobe malfunction was imminent and Judy brought it to my attention. I was like, "Why're you telling me that? My glasses're off and they're gonna stay that way!" Goodness sakes.

Moving along. In the interest of full disclosure, lunch consisted of baby carrots and grapes that were, um, full-grown. And lots of 'em, 'cause that's all we brought. Around 3 o'clock, we went up to the Beach House. We lounged, tried the pool, and Judy read while I worked on my trip notes. (Otherwise, I never would've remembered what we had for lunch, and that story about the large lady with the near-miss of a wardrobe-malfunction would've been lost forever too. You're welcome.)

Here's a panoramic of the pool, from our lounge chairs which at this hour were now nicely shaded on the side of the pool opposite the beach.

DSCF0037_zps501c948f.jpg

I walked around and took some pictures of the Beach House.

This light is near Signals restaurant. (In the panoramic picture above, it's on the left side of the picture, across the pool from us, near the corner of the building.) I didn't realize what it was until I got close to it, but it's a signal lamp from a naval warship. I thought, "Ah, a signal lamp...right outside of Signals! Very good, Disney...once again, nothing is by coincidence."

DSCF0042_zpsad71c1ca.jpg

The pool, facing the Beach House.

DSCF0043_zpsaecc60a2.jpg

Surfmen's Sand Bar. (In the panoramic picture above, it's at the corner of the building sticking out at the right side of the picture.)

DSCF0045_zps5d9b69a7.jpg

Closeup of drink prices.

DSCF0046_zps1eb47a94.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the Lounge, which was right behind where we were seated. It was a really nice room, but I never saw it being used. I wonder if it gets more use when it's not really beach season?

DSCF0047_zpsedafb492.jpg

In this next picture, through the doorway, you can also see the foosball and ping pong tables outside of the lounge.

DSCF0048_zpse0e43d4f.jpg

DSCF0049_zpsb9d385f1.jpg

Back outside, here's a look along our lounge chairs.

DSCF0050_zps6735d139.jpg

Then I suddenly remembered that I'd read on the Disboards that Signals had Dole Whips (but called them "pineapple soft serve"), and I sprang out of my lounge chair to go get us a little bit of heaven in a cup. I got to the door, and found it locked tight. I must've looked like the guy in that old Miracle Whip commercial, face pressed against the glass door, fist slowly pounding on the glass in futility. "They're closed! They're closed."

Signals closes at 4 and it was now 4:10. Epic fail. I walked back and told Judy that I had made a monumental mistake. "I mean: Mon. U. Mental! " She asked what it was, and I told her that I'd tell her tomorrow, when I'd rectify the situation.

We biked back to the resort and had no trouble following our bread crumbs home. In the elevator up to the suite, we talked about whether we thought the resort felt like "Disney". At this point in the trip the answer was "no" (but stay tuned, dear reader). I attributed it to the fact that the resort is among so much other development, and the beach is public, so it seemed like our suite was just "lodging" for a stay at the beach. It could have been one of many. (Again, stay tuned on this!)

Back in the room, I called Broad Creek Rentals (near the resort pool) about getting my bike seat fixed and learned that they'd be closing at 5, so I had just a few minutes to get over there. I rode over and they ended up exchanging the bike because the seat adjustment was jammed. (I don't think I could have done that with just my fingers, although I am unusually strong. Obviously.) Anyway, the new bike was SO much better. It wasn't just that the seat was adjusted properly on this one. Maybe the tires were inflated better? Or, it seemed like it was geared lower? Whatever it was, I was lovin' it! I rode back thinking that Judy was going to have trouble keeping up with me now. This was awesome. I took back that nasty trip note that I had written earlier about the bikes sucking. You just have to get a good one.

When I got back to the Lodge I stopped at the Front Desk to ask about where I could get post cards. The Concierge said that she could give me some free ones, and how many would I like? I said, "Are you serious? Sweet!" I took four, two of each kind she had.

IMG_7792_zpsc450acff.jpg

In the post card with the resort picture, our suite is at the top right.

Judy worked on dinner, and I hooked up my waterproof camera to her computer so that I could download that selfie that we took in the water for her. It only downloaded the pictures from the Beach House, which I thought was odd. Then I went through the pictures on the camera itself and realized that it wasn't there. In fact, no pictures prior to the Beach House were there. I had accidentally deleted everything before that panoramic of the pool. I figured out that I had taken one panoramic of the pool that I didn't like and deleted it, but I had apparently deleted everything on the camera, not just that one picture. I guess the good thing was that it was just our first day of vacation, so we only lost those few beach pictures. But we had lost a great selfie, which for old geezers like us, was no small feat!

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Judy realized that she should've bought some olive oil for cooking. To make do, she cooked up her bacon and used some of the fat to cook the chicken. Pretty resourceful, that girl. She saved the rest of the bacon fat to use throughout the week. Here's a picture of our dinner. (You'll notice that I made a concerted effort to do a better job of taking in-suite meal pictures during this trip than the last one.) Asparagus, sliced tomatoes, and chicken with jerk seasoning. The wine (not pictured) was Conundrum, which is a wine recommendation that I got from reading Cynthia's (EandEsmom) and Mary Ellen's (MEK) trip reports.

IMG_7793_zps49305145.jpg

After dinner we decided to put some Conundrum in our mugs (Disney mugs make excellent wine glasses) and take a walk out to the pier. (There must be a joke there somewhere about a "long walk" and a "short pier", but I'll let you handle that.) On the way, we stopped at a hammock to take a selfie and post it on Instagram.

IMG_1521_zps92e10f3f.jpg

"Stop! Hammock time!"

We walked out to the pier and there were several people fishing and crabbing. Judy took this picture of an egret.

IMG_7794_zps51418acb.jpg

So I can't say I've gone through life with no egrets. :rolleyes2

We hung out and watched for a little bit, but then Judy was really itching to buy the Vera Bradley bag that she had eyed the night before, so we went to the Mercantile. While she bought her new bag, I took some pictures of the store offerings for all of you folks.

IMG_7795_zps278646be.jpg

IMG_7796_zpsf5b1e339.jpg

IMG_7797_zpsd8bbbbfc.jpg

IMG_7798_zpsbee524aa.jpg

IMG_7799_zps8ff50c4f.jpg

Here's a picture of the bag she bought.

IMG_0808_zps893a4587.jpg

Judy looked through the movies that we could rent (or "borrow" I guess is a better word since we don't have to pay for them, being DVC owners :woohoo:) and saw that they had "Frozen". Well, at that moment we were nearly the last people on earth who had yet to see it, so we set out to remedy that situation, and signed it out.

Meanwhile, I saw the daily trivia question on the wall, which was "What were Mickey's first words spoken in a movie?" The answer choices were:
Oh boy!
Gee whiz!
Hot dog!
and, That's swell!

<Spoiler Alert!>

I got it right by answering "Hot dog!" and cast member Brad rewarded me with a chocolate. He also gave one to Judy, even though she didn't contribute in the least to our correct answer. :confused:

We left the Mercantile and at the Firepit nearby, the cast members were getting ready for the sing-along that was soon to begin.

IMG_7800_zps487f2166.jpg

From there, we just went back to our suite, watched "Frozen", and called it a night. I must say though, that Adele Dazeem can really sing!

Up next: Kayak tour
Link to next update

Whoop whoop, I'm in, I'm in.

Better late than never huh :)

Thanks for the bat signal Glennbo, appreciate the heads up and have loved the report so far.

Gluten free?! :( poor Judy. Is this a recent thing? I am gluten free too (and lactose and lots of other annoying things) so can empathise with how tough it can be to find food to eat. I am the annoying person who takes ages to order because I have to reinvent a restaurants offerings to suit my dietary requirements.

Many congratulations on 25 years....what a wonderful way to celebrate, even if it isn't quite Hawaii....maybe one day :) were the girls ok about being left behind?

In other news we are returning to WDW in a few short weeks, super excited to take the mini me again ;) she is as excited as a 2 year old can be that doesn't really comprehend the meaning of "holiday" :) never mind, we more than make up for it on her behalf.

Right off the bat and I'm giggling already. But yeah, you might want to check the brakes on the car... regularly... just in case.

Awww, you still got a selfie anyway. "Hammock Time"!

Honestly Glenn, I was laughing throughout this entire update. I assume that was intentional, lol.

And welcome to the Frozen Club! Resistance is futile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter