• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Keep POP reservation for Skyliner or switch to CSR for $100 more for solo trip?

Disneyhanna

DIS Veteran
I currently have POP booked for my week-long solo Feb/March trip (the week BETWEEN the Epcot festivals, ugh) but I'm rethinking it. A little background, I have stayed at POP twice, but not since last April. Here's a list of my pros/cons from what I remember:

Pros:
  • Refurbished rooms were very nice, being able to covert the Murphy bed to a desk would work great for a solo trip.
  • Resort isn't that spread out, most rooms aren't more than a five minute walk to the food court and bus.
  • One bus stop and first come first served.
  • Food court has a lot of options, mostly fast food but the menu is pretty big and not expensive.
Cons:
  • Obviously this varies but both trips we experienced a lot of noise from families staying near our room or walking by our room.
  • An overall chaotic and high energy feeling to the resort, we still enjoyed it but found POR significantly more relaxing. Though I'm not sure I'll be relaxing much this trip so maybe not an issue.
  • Bus stop isn't covered and you have to keep your place in line.
I have never stayed at CSR but will be there for a few nights in just over a month. I'm hesitant to wait until after that stay to decide since the rooms are so limited for discounts. Nothing has opened up for my upcoming trip discount-wise so I don't want to count on cancellations. POP has no availability for these dates anymore so I probably couldn't switch back if I switch to CSR.

Here are some of my current thoughts on CSR (from what I've seen/read):
  • The resort is very big and spread out but the new bridge has made it less daunting? I've never felt unsafe on Disney property but I will probably be walking home late every night.
  • Not great reviews on the food court, but I probably would mostly be using it for breakfasts and the kid's meals are fine with me.
  • Might be nice to have more "late night" things to do like the Dahlia lounge, more adult setting overall. I'm not really a sit alone at bars person though so not sure if I'll actually take advantage of this.
  • Fitness center is a plus, in case weather is poor and I need to run inside.
  • It seems a bit more centrally located between the parks but I may be wrong about this.
  • Probably a better chance of a quiet room but totally a luck of the draw thing.
  • Also refurbished in last few years. Room size doesn't matter to me and I probably won't be spending that much time at the resort or pool unless it's hot.
  • I've heard more negative things about the busses at CSR compared to POP.
Now, the total post-tax difference in cost is $113 with my AP discount which is pretty much nothing considering the costs of a Disney trip. If POP didn't have the Skyliner, I would probably just switch to CSR. However, it seems like a pretty cool draw and I'm not staying at a Skyliner resort for my upcoming trip so I'm definitely intrigued by the idea.

Does anyone have any input? More pros and cons, especially for CSR since I have not been there yet? If anyone has stayed at POP since the Skyliner opened it'd be great to know if it really enhanced your stay or not. It seems like I'd be staying at POP primarily for the Skyliner, but if it's more of a gimmick (for lack of a better description) then perhaps a switch to CSR is warranted. I think POP is only so expensive because the weekend rates don't appear to be discounted, whereas they seem to be at CSR.

Thanks for reading this lengthly post! :hyper:

:wave2: We'll be visiting at the same time (Caribbean Beach & Yacht Club)!

I would go with CSR - but mainly for reasons which don't rest too high on your list. We love the fitness center (a definite pro), the overall ambiance of the resort, and have always enjoyed the food court! The more "adult" setting might be a nice change of pace for you! For us, however, the draw would be the refurbished rooms and the pool - both of which are great (we loved the pool the last time we visited).

That being said - if you like the feel of the rooms at POP (having visited before) and that extra $113 could go towards a cool experience during your trip - I think I would go with POP for you. People seem to really be liking the Skyliner when it's working - and for someone who spends most of their time in the parks that could be nice!

Have you considered doing a split stay? Transferring your luggage/etc. between resorts is super easy! We love doing it that way because then we get to experience more than one resort (and we're indecisive :confused3).

I love the POP for my solo trips. I just stayed at CSR, but I was in the Tower....and loved it. The grounds at CSR are gorgeous. It's a hard choice for you. But if it's $100 a night, I'd stay at POP. If it's $100 for the entire trip, I'd go with CSR. The Food court actually closes down between 11:30am and 12:00 Noon. Go figure!!!

:wave2: We'll be visiting at the same time (Caribbean Beach & Yacht Club)!

I would go with CSR - but mainly for reasons which don't rest too high on your list. We love the fitness center (a definite pro), the overall ambiance of the resort, and have always enjoyed the food court! The more "adult" setting might be a nice change of pace for you! For us, however, the draw would be the refurbished rooms and the pool - both of which are great (we loved the pool the last time we visited).

That being said - if you like the feel of the rooms at POP (having visited before) and that extra $113 could go towards a cool experience during your trip - I think I would go with POP for you. People seem to really be liking the Skyliner when it's working - and for someone who spends most of their time in the parks that could be nice!

Have you considered doing a split stay? Transferring your luggage/etc. between resorts is super easy! We love doing it that way because then we get to experience more than one resort (and we're indecisive :confused3).

Thanks for the reply! Fingers crossed for lowish crowds for us ::yes::. The pool does look fantastic, I'm thinking it'll be a little too cold for our upcoming trip but perhaps it will be warm enough in late February? I've never visited that time of year so I have no idea what to expect!

I was considering staying at POP for the first few nights and then going to CSR, especially since the weekend rates are so expensive at POP. Unfortunately the dates do not work with the discount for POP, and from what I hear I can't shorten a stay unless the room is still available with the discount for the new dates! Though not really a big deal for my budget, $113 is about the price of a CG brunch (which I have planned) so I'll definitely have to think more on this.

I love the POP for my solo trips. I just stayed at CSR, but I was in the Tower....and loved it. The grounds at CSR are gorgeous. It's a hard choice for you. But if it's $100 a night, I'd stay at POP. If it's $100 for the entire trip, I'd go with CSR. The Food court actually closes down between 11:30am and 12:00 Noon. Go figure!!!

I wish the tower was available during my stay! It must have super limited availability, it wasn't available for my upcoming stay either, and I was looking before the resort even opened! That would have been really nice as a solo guest to have inside entrances. And what a funny time to close, you'd think it would be a little earlier since so many people each lunch early!

It is $100 total for the entire trip which is pretty crazy, but there must be some fine print with this offer for no discounts on weekends at POP, maybe since it's a value. The weekend rates at CSR are like $40 cheaper!

By the way, even if you aren't in the Tower, the lounge upstairs is GREAT for an end of the day Cocktail and to watch the HS fireworks at 10:00pm

Great tip! I will have so many nights that I might not want to be in the parks late every night...grabbing a cocktail and watching them from the resort sounds absolutely fantastic!

I have stayed at CSR solo x3 for conferences, it's fantastic! I felt very comfortable being there solo.

The bridge is nice, but I never found the resort to be too big. I have stayed in the Castias's section. The bus is right outside my building (4). I thought the bus service was better than all of the Deluxe resorts we have stayed in.

The new rooms have an awesome renovation. I love the floors, bathroom design and all the space.

I would stay at CSR anytime, conference or not.

I have stayed at CSR solo x3 for conferences, it's fantastic! I felt very comfortable being there solo.

The bridge is nice, but I never found the resort to be too big. I have stayed in the Castias's section. The bus is right outside my building (4). I thought the bus service was better than all of the Deluxe resorts we have stayed in.

The new rooms have an awesome renovation. I love the floors, bathroom design and all the space.

I would stay at CSR anytime, conference or not.

Such a good point, since this is my first solo trip it would be nice to stay somewhere where there are lots of other adults without their families there. That's good to hear about bus service, it honestly seems like total luck and timing! I'm so excited to stay there soon. The pictures of the new rooms all look so amazing!

I am on a solo trip now. 4 nights at Pop followed by 2 nights at CSR Tower. Tonight it was so great to hope on the Skyliner after Epcot Forever. I didn’t have to walk all the way to the front of the park and out to the buses. I have not stayed at CSR yet so I can’t compare the two but I am enjoying my stay at Pop. Not having the second bed is great for a solo trip.

POP = favorite value
CSR = favorite moderate, probably favorite resort overall (do love AKL)

I would stay at CSR any given day over POP and if the price was close I wouldn't think twice.

I am on a solo trip now. 4 nights at Pop followed by 2 nights at CSR Tower. Tonight it was so great to hope on the Skyliner after Epcot Forever. I didn’t have to walk all the way to the front of the park and out to the buses. I have not stayed at CSR yet so I can’t compare the two but I am enjoying my stay at Pop. Not having the second bed is great for a solo trip.

That's definitely a huge plus, I've heard that the Skyliner has been really efficient at getting people out of the parks after the evening shows. Nothing is worse than when the park closes and you're standing around waiting for a bus for an hour!

POP = favorite value
CSR = favorite moderate, probably favorite resort overall (do love AKL)

I would stay at CSR any given day over POP and if the price was close I wouldn't think twice.

The more I think about it the more I feel a little silly for even thinking about it, since they are two different tiers of resorts! I'll likely end up switching, otherwise I'll probably spend the entire trip regretting it!

I love pop a lot. But Id be tempted to go with CSR. More relaxed atmosphere, and more options.

Im sorry but i dont know where you heard that the buses at Pop are better than CSR. :lmao: That's truly funny because CSR has by far had the best bus service out of all the disney resorts i've stayed at. Hands down. I never had to wait long or stand on the bus. Just wonderful!

These are very good points! For a solo trip, having that extra bed fold up is really nice. And if the skyliner is quicker than the bus, i'd rather take that.

I love pop a lot. But Id be tempted to go with CSR. More relaxed atmosphere, and more options.

Im sorry but i dont know where you heard that the buses at Pop are better than CSR. :lmao: That's truly funny because CSR has by far had the best bus service out of all the disney resorts i've stayed at. Hands down. I never had to wait long or stand on the bus. Just wonderful!

These are very good points! For a solo trip, having that extra bed fold up is really nice. And if the skyliner is quicker than the bus, i'd rather take that.

That's good to hear about the buses! We've never had a "bad" experience anywhere, but I've definitely read some horror stories. But maybe these people have unreasonable expectations... :sad2:

Since you will be staying at CSR in a month, if you can afford it, I might just make a second reservation for the time being rather than make the decision now. That would allow you time to actually go there first and then make an informed decision. After your next visit, see where things stand and decide which reservation to cancel.

For a solo trip, unless the room at the Coronado is at the Gran Destino tower, then I'd stick with Pop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter