KC & the double dipping band. Nov 14-21

I can promise you no snow, but the winters are very unpredictable. If you want predictability you'll have to wait until around July or August. :)

The stateroom was roomy enough, but it was the verandah I had really looked forward to. Oh look, there's the car in the parking lot, and the late comers scurring up. But there is no time for admiring Castaway Club stuff as the DIS meet is at 2. Off we go to the Prominade lounge for our face to face. We had a larger than usual size group, and our more veteran cruisers stepped up and made sure we had everything we needed. We had mini-navigators, personalized lanyards, and even dry erase boards on each deck for updates and notes. With our spreadsheet(s) we knew who was doing what excursions, and paired up accordingly. Our cruise logo was widely adopted and seen all over the ship. There was some confussion on where to take a group photo and resulted in only a staircase full of people being included. (Something about the group being too large and blocking the area). I'll write more about this great group and their good deeds later.

We hit the Safety Drill jackpot this time as our station was in A.P. Sitting in the A/C while waiting on stragglers was fine with me. I decided that with nearly 10K minutes onboard, I might as well spend at least 20 minutes of 'em being responsible.

I was just too physically tired (from moving boxes all week) to deal with the crowds at the sailaway party. I finally had a private balcony, and dang it, I was going to use it. I watched as the ropes were cast off and we eased away. Hearing the horn fortified me, so enjoyed a few shots as I waved goodbye to all the big white gloves.

During room assignments we were switched to early dining. I didn't care, but found I liked it better. The change was more than likely made to get a better tablemate match. We were assigned table 6, an 8 seater. We were paired with a fellow deck 8 family of 4. They were from Missouri, but stationed in the Azores. Check it out, these enjoyable folks really do live in the middle of nowhere. We had enough in common that we talked all night long and frequently were amoung the last tables to clear out.

After 4 on the go days, and an superb meal weighing me down, I was done for the night. I stayed out on the V for a long time, but I'm sure it was an early evening for me.

Well, you already saw us on the staircase so I don't have much to add to the DisMeet portion. But here's a picture of the eating machines at the safety drill.
DSCN0486.JPG

And I don't know if this is gonna be viewable by everyone but here's a video of King Charming at the safety drill. As you can tell, he isn't exactly thrilled to be there but like he said, it's only 20 min and we were in the a/c.
http://picasaweb.google.com/hypermommy.duggan/200911Cruise#5406956466038372050

Here's a couple pictures of our family at dinner.
DSCN0491.JPG

DSCN0492.JPG

KC's right... our table mates were so much fun! I had such a great time being paired with another couple. That's something I really wanted this time but I also wanted to make sure KC had a great time. Last time we didn't have table mates and he liked that idea because we were in and out quickly. This time dinner worked out to be wonderful because we were having so much fun chatting with the other parents that we really did "close down" the dining room a couple of times (i.e., the wait staff was trying to figure out how to get us out of there before the 2nd seating folks got in). After the first night we sat the adults at one end of the table and the kids at the other. That way we could have our conversation while the kids talked about whatever it is that kids talk about. We really did have a blast.

And check out this dessert I found. Creme brulee cheesecake. Now if that doesn't rank as the absolutely #1 dessert in the world I don't know what would... especially as it combines my 2 absolute favorites!!!
DSCN0497.JPG

But you gotta see this drink. It's called "For the Love Of Chocolate". It has like 4 liquors in it and it is absolutely smashing!!!!! It tastes like chocolate milk!!!! If anyone has the recipe for this please let me know (haven't taken the time to google it yet). This, a chick flick and good girlfriends sounds like quite a fun night for me!
DSCN0513.JPG

KC may have thought he went to bed early but it wasn't actually too early. We went to the clubs and found the game show things going on. We actually participated in the "scavenger hunt" thing. And yes, I will find the picture of KC showing off his buff upper body trying to win us points! He really got into this a lot more than I thought he would and he seemed to have a great time. Of course, I wasn't taking off my bra and giving it to him.... adult area or not there are some things that are just to scary to subject people to on a Disney cruise! And besides... gravity has had its way with me and someone could actually get hurt!
DSCN0504.JPG

The view from our veranda. Now you can see why we just wanted to spend a lot of time there, huh?
DSCN0517.JPG

awesome report!! I better make sure to pack my nice bras on the cruise! :rotfl: I'm too competetive! I'll let 'em swang!! :lmao:

awesome report!! I better make sure to pack my nice bras on the cruise! :rotfl: I'm too competetive! I'll let 'em swang!! :lmao:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

That Rockin Bar D can be an absolute hoot in the evening when the kiddies are all gone. Definitely don't miss it!!!

I woke up at 7:30 to shouts of 'We're backing in!'. We were out of the room by 8 for Bfast at Topsiders. Current temp 75. All ashore was 8:30, and by 8:45 we were done eating and headed to Guest Services. DW signs a form so the boys can come and go from the ship alone while at CC (only). Now rid of the kids, Serenity Bay calls to us. Due to end of cruise family friction/conflict (OK, fighting) last time, our CC day was disjointed. With just the two of us, and being the first day, it was much nicer. Walk to the first tram, then ride, then another short walk to the second tram, a ride down the runway and TA DA, PARADISE!! We strolled all the way to the end (or at least to where the sign says to stop), took the chairs to the waters edge (Yep, there were chairs ALL along the beach), and promptly let every care in the world wash out to sea. We stayed until 11, then walked right into the adult eating area. They had just opened, so there was no line. I had a cheeseburger & ribs, DW had steak.

We met the kids at noon, and I took poor DS14 (who's walking bow legged) back to the ship (my how history repeats itself) for some dry shorts. He was fine a few hours later. I top off my Pepsi and hook up with DW & DS16 around 1. It seems this boy was actually able to pay cash for a pair of shorts using exact change! I guess his shorts didn't fit any better than his brother's did. Darn sore way to learn what to pack if you ask me. Off we go to the Grouper game pavilion, where I proceed to give an awesome display of pool shooting talent, one handed, alternating hands. I do love to show off.

We went back to the ship around 2, and I promptly took a nap. I told myself I wouldn't sleep the morning away this time (unlike the first time), and have made this allowance. Woke at 3:40 to see us about 10 minutes out from CC. The weather this morning was 'not too'. As in not too hot, not too sunny, not too windy. So it was a real surprise to see the sign on the island that parasailing, jet skis, and a few others were cancelled. We couldn't figure that one out until 11am, when the wind picked up and white caps formed. By 11:30 there were actual waves sending up a spray against the seawall. All without any change in the partly cloudy sky. I sure wish I could make forecasts that good.

Dinner tonight was in L. Yesterday we screwed up by getting there first and sitting at one end of the table. This made conversation difficult, so when we got there first on Sunday, we put the kids at one end and we sat at the other. Although I'm sure it looked strange to our tablemates when they arrived, when we explained they quickly agreed. We stayed with that seating the rest of the week it worked so well.

By 9 we had sailed 100 of the approx 120 miles west towards Ft Laud/Miami, then went south. The TV still says seas were 4-8', but the ship barely tilted (unlike yesterday evening). After 10, they down graded it to 1.5-4. Locating Miami was so easy, at it was the only bright spot in any direction. We were close enough to see tower lights onshore, and a personal highlight was being close enough to see the lights atop the twin smoke stacks at the Turkey Point power plant. I was stationed at Homestead AFB for 5 years and have many fond memories of fishing fresh and saltwater within 10 miles of the place. Also down at the point used to be the USAF water survival school, a 3 day deal. The best part was parasailing into Biscayne Bay twice. The first time scared the hell out of me going up, but the second time was a blast.

11pm finds a clear night, light breeze, and the Fla straights being nice to us as we maintain 19.8 knots. OK, so I was worried I was becoming a hermit sitting on the V, so I came up to the deck nine smoking area to hang out. This is where I spent most of the other cruise, as we had no window. I found a table to smoke and drink at, and with the custom lanyards everyone was wearing, easily found a few DIS'ers wondering around. Because we all wore our screen names, it was natural to pick up where we left off. By 12:30, the lateness and the lure of the V had me back in the stateroom.

There was, of course, a reason that KC woke up to shouts. EM#2 and I were well awake. I have a note that it was about 5:30 when he woke me up and said he wasn't feeling too well. I believe he was somewhat sick to his stomach. Now when this one gets sick it scares the mess out of me because since the time he's been born (and was in Neonatal ICU for a bit) he's seldom been sick. So when he does it scares me. So we wandered down into the bowels of the ship and found the sickbay. Now as Mom I was supposed to be staying focused on my not-feeling-well child. But the Disney lover in me thought it was interesting how you got to somewhat not quite on stage sections of the ship getting to sickbay. It was much more utilitarian than any of the guest parts of the ship. It felt like I was in the utilidors, I'd guess.

But once the child had a bit of seasickness meds in him he started to feel better and I guess he went back to sleep. I have a note that I relaxed, watched the sunrise from the veranda and took a shower. I woke the guys up when the ship started turning around. Here are some pics I took that I thought you might like.

Here's one that I took of the lobby waaaaay early in the morning.
DSCN0538.JPG

The island
DSCN0530.JPG

Oh I feel almost more relaxed just looking at this.
DSCN0531.JPG

Loved the difference in the water colors
DSCN0536.JPG

Just another pic of the island
DSCN0537.JPG

So yeah, like KC said we did breakfast and then I went to GS to sign the paperwork to allow the kids to have sign on/off the boat privileges on Castaway Cay. I figured it was safe because they'd be under Disney security the entire time. And I knew they wouldn't be left on the island because I'm pretty sure they sweep the island to make sure they don't have any Castaways on the Cay. I decided I loved the cups we got in the Castaway Club kit because OJ worked so well in it (especially with a bit of vodka in it!) But then it was off to the Cay!!!

Just loved the colors and the feel of this... had to take a pic!
DSCN0540.JPG

Here I am with Donald. I had to get this one because I've decided EM#1's character is going to be Donald. We all have characters that we have an affinity towards and we concentrate our merchandise purchasing (usually) on our characters. EM#2 loves Stitch so he has several Stitch shirts, plushes, pins (thanks to his big brother getting him one on every trip), etc. And KC is Grumpy so he has several Grumpy t-shirts and some of them are very hilarious ("I'm Grumpy Because You're Dopey"). I love Tink so I have lots of Tink stuff. Well, EM#1 had as his character Timon and/or Mushu. Both of these were kind of full of themselves and rotten but really with a heart of gold so those were great characters for him. But just try to find Timon or Mushu stuff!!! So I've decided he has to be Donald. It fits him.... quick to anger but lovable and loving at heart. Kind of like an M&M!!! That's my boy! So anyway (KC told you this would be rambling, right?) I had to get this picture with Donald when I saw him there.

DSCN0541.JPG

Then there's Cap'n Jack! Ahhhh.... last time we were on the island I guess we took the first tram and passed right by where Cap'n Jack would be. So this time we walked and it worked! There he was swaying on the beach in all his glory. With thoughts of missing him on the last cruise in mind I walked up and said something about how I've been wanting to meet him for so long (might as well play along with the staying in character and having fun with it, right?). His reply was pure Jack -- "I've been right here all day, luv" That's when I pointed out King Charming and said something about having to make my way over carefully so he didn't get upset. To which Jack looked at him and saw how tall he is and decided that discretion is the better part of valor! This guy was great -- totally in the Cap'n Jack character and so much fun!!!
DSCN0542.JPG

And then of course you can NOT go to Mickey's island and not stop by and say hi to the mouse himself.
DSCN0546.JPG

Once again KC got a flower for my hair. It's become something of a tradition (hey, we've done it on both cruises) and I think it's sweet.
DSCN0547.JPG

KC gave you the basics of being on Serenity Bay. Being all the way down at the end of the beach was great because we couldn't hear anyone else talking and since we were looking at each other and the ocean it was wonderful! I cannot begin to describe how wonderful this was. We pulled the chairs down by the water and it was just like the song. In fact, that was the soundtrack that was running through my head.... "I've got my toes in the water, my * in the sand, no a worry in the world, a cold drink in my hand... life is good today...... life is good today." It was just wonderful being there at the end of the beach with the solitude, listening to the sound of the surf and watching a bird hunt (what an amazing thing, just watching a bird fly and dive) and just spending time with KC. I can definitely say that SB was absolutely everything I'd heard it would be and I'm soooooo thrilled. Anyway, here are the pics:

Such a busy beach -- not!
DSCN0550.JPG

We stopped halfway down and pulled down chairs. But then we moved to where the currents didn't bring all the seaweed our way.
DSCN0555.JPG

This was my view for the next couple of hours. Incredible!
DSCN0559.JPG

King Charming decided that he'd had enough of the water on his feet but instead of asking me to move he built a sea wall. The thing is... it worked!!!!! My baby's got to be the only non-deity I know of that can actually hold back the sea when he wants to!!!!!
DSCN0570.JPG

Here's KC checking out something. I looked up and saw him and had to grab the camera really quickly. The caption I thought of immediately was "now bring me that horizon."
DSCN0571.JPG

When it was time to get up and go (after a couple of hours) I was soooo relaxed that my legs wouldn't work. Honestly, it took a few steps before I could convince my muscles that they did need to do their jobs and that their vacation was over.

And yes, as KC mentioned I had the steak for lunch. And it was yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DSCN0574.JPG

Here's a couple more pics from that side of the island.
DSCN0576.JPG

DSCN0577.JPG

DSCN0578.JPG

As KC took EM#2 back to the ship, EM#1 and I sat down and had lunch. Yes, I had another lunch! Something real light and not much, of course, because I just had that awesome steak!!! And EM#1 wasn't happy that the adults had a choice of steak. Too bad... gives him something to look forward to when he gets older! LOL But I had lunch and giggles with EM#1 while KC was refilling his Pepsi and all. I don't even remember what we talked about but those of you with teenagers will understand how much it meant to me. It's like the commercial for that other cruise line. The teenager tries so hard to be surly and all that other teenager stuff but I just know there's a sweet young man still in there.

Here's some pics on the way to the gaming pavilion and while there.
DSCN0583.JPG

DSCN0586.JPG

DSCN0588.JPG

DSCN0589.JPG

DSCN0590.JPG

DSCN0592.JPG

I had more pictures but there's a 25 pic limit so I'll have to put the next ones in the next posting. I'll try to get to it this evening.

Really enjoying every minute of this wonderful report ... your photos of Castaway Cay are stunning ... I so wish I was there :goodvibes

I never did like shaving in the summertime, so getting scruffy was easy. Then DW suggested(?) trimming it up, so it was longer in the chin area than the rest. A while later I got a wild hair up my, I mean this crazy idea to grow a pirate beard. ONLY for the cruise was her responce, and from there it was easy. By Nov. I had 4 inches or so of chin hair, so I shaved everything else off. But now I had a King Tut beard; a style my poker buddies quickly pointed out had been dead for centuries. Not really a problem I thought, heck, even I can braid hair. Yeah, right, you've seen the pics, it never got done. The closer to cruise week, the busier I was, and the smaller a priority it became. I know I should have had it done at CC that first day, or during the first sea day up on deck, but...

Finally in Cozumel, as we were walking the two blocks to the Megastore (think giant superwalmart), we stopped along the way. 4 braids for 10 dollars. We said no and kept walking. But we talked about it and agreed it was worth 5-7 bucks, and I'd get it done on the way back. First words out of the lady's mouth were '$6 U.S.'. Sold! I assume the position and now understand why little girls cry when they get their hair braided. Yeah, they pull your hair hard to weave it tight. (Nope, not a tear here). So I'm sitting there and Mr Polite comes up asking if I'm the dude with the two dollar bills. I had spent a few next door, and they are rather different. He was so nice about asking I traded him my last 3 bills and 4 dollar coins for Mr Hamilton. Braid lady got a 5 and the last 2 dollar coins in my pocket. They couldn't stop talking about how pretty the coins were.

I'm telling you people, these brand new dollar coins make excellent tips. Although I burned through 50 of them, I was also frugal. It worked real well for me since I'm not overly fond of giving my money away. The two dollar bills didn't go over nearly as well, even though they are worth twice as much.

Anyway, I really liked this new style, with the beads, so much so I kept it for a few weeks after the cruise. I'd probably still have it, but it's not really a style that goes over well during job interviews.

After staying up way too late last night on the V, I was up at the crack of dawn. Yeah, right... My eyes opened at 10, and I was moving around by 10:30. Really, what AM I missing during the am hours? So darn easy to justify. I left the room around 10:45 and got into Topsiders before they closed down Bfast. I had a quick meal, then brought some bacon back for the other sleepyheads in the room. With the kids club keeping the boys up past midnight every night, they slept late most mornings. Thankfully there were only two early morning to deal with, the character Bfast and the last day. Since today wasn't one of 'em, I was in no hurry at all.

DW finally got me up on deck around noon. We watched a tour of the ship on the big screen (now that's lazy!), then did more similar thrilling things. Even when you are doing nothing the time flies by. We sailed around Cuba all day, close enough to see the mountains. I lost track of how many times I asked DW a variation of 'Is that Fidel sitting on that hill over there?'.

Dinner was again fabulous. Granted, the food was very good; of a quality and service I seldom spring for. But I'd forgotten how much fun conversation with interesting folks can be. The food was almost an interruption we were having such a good time.

Tonight was the night we took the neat sunset photos. It didn't start off promising, as there was a thick layer of clouds almost to the horizon. This resulted in a rather strange top and bottom that looked very similar. We took dozens of pics at various settings, and a couple of the zoomed in shots made my top 10 for the week.

I didn't see any of the shows last time, so to get that monkey off my back we trucked over to the theatre to see comedian/ventriloquist Mike do his show. He was very entertaining, did a funny cruise related routine (Big terminal, big ship, big theatre, but stateroom?). He had a oversized tennis ball, cut along a seam so that when squeezed, it's mouth would open. Attaching a pair of eyes, he quickly gave it personality. We had a lot of fun.

My notes say yet a few more drinks were consumed, then back to the room to be in bed by midnight. According to the TV, we are already at Grand Cayman, just 7 miles away. Only we are still sailing at a steady clip, and I can't see anything. That was too much for me to dwell on at that point, so I went to bed.

Really enjoying every minute of this wonderful report ... your photos of Castaway Cay are stunning ... I so wish I was there :goodvibes

Thanks! Yep, it is a wonderful place isn't it? I wish I could be there forever!!!

Anyway, I really liked this new style, with the beads, so much so I kept it for a few weeks after the cruise. I'd probably still have it, but it's not really a style that goes over well during job interviews.

It really did look great with the beads and such!!! And we had several "discussions" about it after the cruise. But that's my man -- whatever it takes to be a bit different and stand out from the crowd. I guess that's the difference between a prince and a KING! :worship:

Tonight was the night we took the neat sunset photos. It didn't start off promising, as there was a thick layer of clouds almost to the horizon. This resulted in a rather strange top and bottom that looked very similar. We took dozens of pics at various settings, and a couple of the zoomed in shots made my top 10 for the week.

I do so love digital photography. I counted the pictures I took of the sunset and I do believe it was like 43. And out of those, 9 turned out acceptable and 2 or 3 were really good (i.e., I got lucky!).

My notes say yet a few more drinks were consumed, then back to the room to be in bed by midnight. According to the TV, we are already at Grand Cayman, just 7 miles away. Only we are still sailing at a steady clip, and I can't see anything. That was too much for me to dwell on at that point, so I went to bed.

Oh, y'all just don't know. When you tell the kids to turn Daddy's channel on and they know that means the map and ship's info channel, that tells you something doesn't it? But I was realy happy that they make the info so very easy to obtain. It truly fascinated KC and he'd check the channel any time we were in the room. It worked out well, though, because I loved the smooth jazz they play on that station so I could get things done in the room while he enjoyed his channel. What? Hypermommy straigtening up and "working" during the cruise? Moms, you've been on vacation right? Nahh, Ii have to admit everyone was absolutely wonderful! Mostly what I was doing in the room was just putzing around.

Okay, so when last we talked I was regaling (boring) you with activities on Castaway Cay. Well, we got back on the ship and tried to take a nap but the ship's maintenance guy came. We'd spoken to our stateroom host that morning about a light fixture on the veranda that was loose and looked like the electronics could get wet. So of course the precept of Mr. Murphy required that the ship's maintenance guy shows up while we're trying to nap. Turns out EM#2 was there and answered the door and almost didn't let the man in because his parents were sleeping (good boy!!!). But I heard something of what was going on and jumped up to let the man in. I'm just impressed that they came so fast!!!!

Then it was time to get ready for dinner. And the kids were late. Now my note says "kids late" so I guess it must have been both of them. But that wasn't the pattern for the week. I have to say that EM#1 did a much better job this time. EM#2 on the other hand... well get to that. But we got into a "discussion" about curfew tonight and whichever one was mad at me at dinner time had his butt firmly planted up on his shoulders by the time we got to the dining room. Ah ha ha... not a problem. There's a teachable moment in this (oh, these poor boys have SUCH a PITA for a mom). I took the child aside and reminded him that in social situations he's as responsible as everyone else for making sure everyone has a good time. Wow! You mean the world doesn't revolve around me and what I'm feeling?!?! :scared1::scared1: I know it's a difficult thing for a teenager to understand but he seemed to get it.

Like KC said we changed the seating arrangements for the night. One of the things we always did in Scouting was to put all the boys down at one end of the table and all the adults at the other. That way we could carry on a reasonable conversation and so could they and we wouldn't have to bore each other. It worked out really well and I thoroughly enjoyed our wonderful dinner companions!

After the comedian we went for a walk and ended up playing shuffleboard on Deck 4. That's something I missed out on doing last time. But it had to be done because even I know you need to play shuffleboard when on a cruise. It was fun! Of course KC beat me. He usually does. But that's what I'd expect from my own personal Rhett Butler. He keeps me on my toes... or as this quote from the book Scarlett puts it ... "Rhett was [in her heart]. Laughing at her, outwitting her, challenging her, surpassing her, dominating her, sheltering her." That's the King that I love and the wonderful man I married.

So we finally get back to the room and curfew for the boys comes around. Now my rules were simple. You will show up at X time for dinner and you will be in the room 10 minutes after the Stack closes. Believe you me, it doesn't take long for my overactive imagination to start imagining some group of 14yo boys playing a roughhousing game that ends up with one of them (my son) going overboard and the rest of them being too scared to say anything becuase they know how much trouble they'll get into. So I head out to guest services to see if they can page him or something. The whole way I'm freaking out. The very nice CM at guest services says it happens every cruise (like I care! MY CHILD is not on every cruise!!!) and that they have a process. He paged all the cleaning people that crawl the ship at night and ask them to look out for the child. I didn't even know what he was wearing becuase the last time I saw him he was heading to the swimming pool. So I guess that's all I can do on that front so I head back to the room. As I walk in I'm telling KC that he has to get up and help me look for the boy. I tell EM#1 to stay by the phone in case anyone calls. KC had time enough to swing his legs over the side of the bed (yes, he was already in bed... I swear we are definitely different in how we handle things :rotfl2:) before the phone rang. It was guest services telling me EM#2 had been found and was on his way back to the room. When he got there I growled at him to get in bed and we'd talk in the morning. Then I sat on the veranda for a while trying to calm my racing heart before I could head to bed. Ugh.. teenagers!!!

Okay, now that I've rambled long enough, lemme see what pictures I have from Sunday.

This boy will eat any and everything!
DSCN0602.JPG

Oh, I forgot one thing we did was EM#1 and I went and did kareoke. He did a great job!!!!
DSCN0616.JPG

If you look carefully you can just about see Fidel hanging out on the mountains
DSCN0648.JPG

DSCN0649.JPG

Here's KC hanging out on the veranda. Don'tcha just love the beard!
DSCN0660.JPG

Here's a few of those sunset pictures we talked about:
DSCN0665.JPG

DSCN0673.JPG

DSCN0678.JPG

DSCN0682.JPG

Here's my menfolk. I'm not sure where we're going but everyone looks happy.
DSCN0713.JPG

EM#2 enjoyed figuring out how to do the napkin folding
DSCN0715.JPG

Look what I found! I need new stuff for my kitchen anyway, huh?
DSCN0721.JPG

I guess that's about it for now. Time to get ready for work anyway. See y'all later.

Great updates! Sorry to hear you were in panic mode...I would have been, as well.

Great pics!!!

This old man was up at 7 and went straight to the V. We idled into port next to the Carnival Legend. It seemed to take two tries, but we were anchored and stopped moving by 7:30. The steady tendering began when the 1st one pulled away at 7:52. They had three boats going back and forth, and I watched them for a long time. We had no excursions planned for today after our do it yourself trip to Hell got cut in a cost cutting move. DW showed up with some bacon at some point, and I came back in around 10:30. Ready by 11, our first stop was to Guest Services to replace another lost key. Again they changed out all 4 after I confessed to having more than one clueless family member who couldn't keep track of their room key if it was tied to their neck (oh yeah, a lanyard!). A full search was conducted (again), really, but after 15 minutes or so of looking around a small room, getting a new set is so much better then the mounting frustration of looking for another few minutes in the same places. We missed the folks at the Excursion Desk again. They are only open a few hours a day, and we had questions about tomorrows stuff. Next was Topsiders for lunch, only they were closed too. I got totally bummed, let it ruin my whole... nah, just popped outside for a nice Goofy meal.

We asked the boys what they were looking forward to here, and got similar responces. With a been there, done that attitude, they said there was nothing to do there but shop, and didn't want to go ashore. They were having a good time at the Stack, and didn't feel they were missing anything.

Done deal, we were off to deck 1 to a waiting tender (no lines by now), and were islanders 10 minutes later. We slowly strolled by the library, turned right and went on over to the post office. A 75 cent stamp (for a letter) cost 94 cents U.S., so I traded a dollar for the stamp and a GC nickel (dime sized). The lowest of the 4 slots is for foreign mail, clearly marked.

Then the quest began as we walked further inland and away from the port area. After 6 or 8 blocks it began to look hopeless, so we walked over to the cop who had been eyeballing us something fierce. I guess he thought I was one of those dorkey tourists looking for the seedier side of town. When I explained our mission he was all smiles and confused us with options. I was quite impressed with the large number of uniformed law keepers around the port. I guess they decided long ago that tourists are sacred and must be tended to. Of course the further out you go, the less there are, but they seem to be all over the place. Anyway, about another 10 blocks in (careful, no sidewalks anymore), we struck gold! A mini-mart that even had a Pepsi sticker on the door!! Three 2 liter bottles could get darn heavy if the stuff didn't keep me alive so well, so we trudge back. Heading back in we find the corner that our bus driver from last time dropped us off at, so I head straight to the cigar shop. Only been here twice and already know my way around. Dang, I would have patted myself on the back, but I couldn't lift my arms.

Three various Cubans were $81US, then we resumed our journey back. Even though we had NO plans to buy ANY windows, Hyper insisted on shopping for them the whole time. We got back on the ship at 2 (again no tender lines), and I became one with the V again. It is again a picture perfect day, 77 degrees, light breeze, light chop. There was no sign of the tropical storm/hurricane Ida that came by 10 days ago. Oh, this is the life...

We got back on the ship at 2 (again no tender lines), and I became one with the V again. It is again a picture perfect day, 77 degrees, light breeze, light chop. There was no sign of the tropical storm/hurricane Ida that came by 10 days ago. Oh, this is the life...

Ahhh, KC...you're starting to make me regret my cost-saving strategy of not booking a CAT5 or 6 for our next cruise. We did spend quite a bit of time there, but of course I'm being cheap...I loved sitting out there just gazing at the scenery.

Off cruise topic, though I must have you and your wife's opinion on something...when you decided to move did you already know the neighborhood you wanted to move to? Or did you just take a chance when house-hunting?

Hello! I just found your TR & am joining in. We took a Western in Dec, so it is neat to read what you did in the ports.

Great job, keep it up! :)

ps- i am so jealous that you moved to Orlando, i lived there from '99-'03 & miss it so much! i was in the Hunter's Creek area. enjoy O-town!

The job is in NE Orlando, and I assumed that the further out you go, the more affordable the area is. DW was able to scout out the neighborhoods during the two months she was here and I was still in Tally. We ended up almost an hour away from Mickey's house.

I made the mistake of lying down at 3:30 and lost an hour. I went outside to see we had done a 180 in the bay and were headed out. DW said the Legend left half hour ago. The NCL ship on our other side followed us out as I watched GC shrink away.

Tonight we are in AP for the show. Contrary to what has been widely reported, Mickey's head does NOT explode, although most of the other stuff was true. The disappearing walls was a neat trick when you looked across the room, and having Mickey around is always fun. Our rotation was PLAAPLA with the show only on the second night.

Around 9 I headed up to deck 9 to smoke one of my new cigars. I also brought along my rolling cooler full of beer as I intended to camp out a while. Our mini-navigators (delivered w/ the lanyards) had all the latest updates and listed the gathering as yet another potential meeting place. A couple of guys showed up for a while, and several more DIS'ers stopped by to say hello. The evening treats served at the Cove Cafe were alot less impressive this time, as only grapes and cheese were available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter