Katrina & Sandy Why?

While we are on the subject.....the 2013 Hurricane Season starts on June 1st. Now is the time to replenish your Hurricane safety kits.

I hope and pray that there are NO Katrina's and Sandy's that make landfall anywhere in the US.

Stay safe all.

Best comment of the thread, IMO. Maybe hurricane season prep ought to be its own spin off thread. I know that we're stocking up. Most of our hurricane season supplies double as camping equipment.

The statement about it snowed and was cold after Sandy, how is that different then after a hurricane in the heat? Both can cause death.

There are no real differences between disasters other than which one directly affected you. I've lived through several hurricanes with both my home and business being flooded, at that time to me, their was no greater disaster, when I first saw pictures of Sandy I could relate and yes it's still on the news about once a week here in coastal Al.
The feeling like theirs no help is common too. After Katrina, Ivan, the Oil Spill, etc. I thought life as I knew it was over, but you get through it.

We're still being affected by the BP oil spill and still waiting on claims that were suppose to be quick and efficient.

OP- I must say the comment that the whole world stops when NY stops sounds self centered.

While we are on the subject.....the 2013 Hurricane Season starts on June 1st. Now is the time to replenish your Hurricane safety kits.

I hope and pray that there are NO Katrina's and Sandy's that make landfall anywhere in the US.

Stay safe all.

Excellent reminder! Nice positive, proactive statement. :)

Best comment of the thread, IMO. Maybe hurricane season prep ought to be its own spin off thread. I know that we're stocking up. Most of our hurricane season supplies double as camping equipment.

Agreed. We are stocking up too.

This month is Tax Free Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness, so it's a timely message indeed.

I think it runs 7 days. Not sure about that.

It did for me, but because of claims. Irene, Sandy and a small claim this year and my insurane company said byebye! We are now in a high risk pool, and my insurance is alot more. And I just had to pay it in full! It is sickening. I hate insurance companies. It doesn't matter that I went 20 years without a claim, that is fine, but when you need them. Nope..toodles..don't let the door hit you on your way out. :sad:

This is my world as well. I live in the Orlando area. Even though I've never made a claim, I'm on my third insurance company in nine years. Due to the cost of the past hurricane disasters in the state, my previous two insurance companies decided to no longer cover homes in Florida. And, each year, the cost of coverage rises.

Unfortunately, this is just part of living today. No area is immune to natural disaster. If one occurs in your state, you will feel the affects in your pocket book regardless of whether you personally experienced a loss.

Insurance companies are the pits. We live 50 miles from the coast and our rates have gone up.

Those who live near the coast have to go with a high risk company. Many people decided to sell their homes and move because their homeowners premiums were so much higher than their house notes. Then as if that wasn't bad enough, the oil spill killed jobs for hundreds of others.

I have been watching coverage of the President's trip to today to areas impacted by Sandy and a lot of those locals being interviewed are commenting on "how quickly" repairs have been made and how nice it is "to not feel forgotten"

So not everyone impacted by Sandy is frustrated with the relief efforts.

Because as bad as Sandy was, Katrina was worse in terms of destruction abd displacement of people. Not to mention, failure of government on every level.

I agree with this 100%. Katrina was far worse (and I am someone who had 4ft of water in my living room during Sandy and spent $100K of our own money to fix our home).

NY Disney fan said:
I agree with this 100%. Katrina was far worse (and I am someone who had 4ft of water in my living room during Sandy and spent $100K of our own money to fix our home).

I understand completely.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards

Op, we do still get updates about Sandy.

You say that you got news about Katrina for a long time afterwards. Let me ask you this, did you hear Katrina updates for NOLA and Mississippi or just NOLA? Did you know that Katrina did not hit NOLA but hit Mississippi? If you didn't, don't feel bad, a lot of people that don't live in this area didn't know it either.

I understand how you feel, but really, try being "the land mass between NOLA and Mobile". :lmao:

I don't envy NOLA one bit for the devastation they went through. And Mississippi has come through her own devastation just fine and is stronger on the other side. A lot of rebuilding has been done and our beautiful coast is becoming that way again (still miss some of those old southern homes though) And that is what really matters, not how much your disaster gets put on the news.

I'm going to say that part of that is NJ's tourism bureau. Every day I hear a radio ad (sometimes several times) that the Jersey shore is "Stronger than the storm" and that everything is hunky dory and they are "open for business". I have friends with places on the shore so I know they are still rebuilding, but according to the ads I hear constantly, NJ is fine.

It is ridiculous and self-serving to make comparisons between natural disasters and then try to determine if "your" personal disaster has been neglected. I don't know why people do this. We all know people who have been affected by superstorms, blizzards, floods, and fires. There is no "worse" storm when your area is the one to be devastated, but it is beyond ignorant to try assess what media coverage and what assistance other areas have received, and then try to compare that assistance to the response that your own area received. There really is no way to know, so all that can be done is to "guess", which serves no purpose whatsoever, unless the purpose is gauge what reactions can be had.

My area was hit by Albert. In my years I had never seen such a storm and I pray that I never will again. We had people complain that the response was slow, that there was not enough money, and that resources were limited. That was not my experience. And CT is one small state. I imagine that for every storm that has been discussed here, every personal experience will differ as well.

Sharing experiences makes you see other people's view. Worrying about family and friends is not self serving its being concerned for futures of people that mean the world to you.

I think you calling all that have responded to this thread "beyond ignorant" is very cruel.

Hoping and praying that no one is badly affected by any other disaster either natural or man made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter