Katrina & Sandy Why?

OP, I'm in NJ and completely disagree with you. However, I want to know how long you expect the rest of the country to stay focused on the impact of Sandy over 6 months after the storm?

Life goes on for people. Honestly, there are plenty of people here in NJ that don't think about Sandy on a daily or even weekly basis. If someone isn't personally impacted or sees the devastation on a daily basis it's easy to forget.

Just because we aren't talking about Sandy every day, it doesn't mean the whole country isn't aware or has forgotten.

I ask you, in the past when you heard of Andrew, Katrina, Ike, Rita, Gulf Spill, Joplin, floods in TN, etc., etc., what did you do? Were these storms most pressing in your day to day life 6 mos later? Did you actively seek out updates and info about these storm 6 months later? Or did your own local life capture your attention?

Just because you weren't actively talking about and seeking information about Hurricane Rita 6 months later, it didn't mean that you cared less than you did when you first heard it.

What are you asking for?

Are you asking for more attention than you gave when other tragic events happened around the country and around the world?

Lets face it, what happens in our own backyard is the most pressing to us. Sandy is top concern for you. Just as Ike was top concern for my family, and so on for others around the world.

OP, if you are in NJ, how do you know what is and isn't being covered in other parts of the country? I live in NJ and read every day about Sandy in my newspaper. I am sorry if you were personally affected by the storm. Many people in the tristate area were affected, myself included. I just don't understand what your point is.

I think it is sad that this thread is disintegrating into a one up - ing of whose tragedy was worse. Shows what people really care about. Themselves and their own little world. I think media coverage is a poor indicator of what people care about. A lot of time you get media coverage way over doing it. They hop from one tragedy to the next.

:scared1: Wow this thread took a turn. As a NJ native I can assure anyone that cares to pay attention that we had PLENTY of people who refused to evacuate and lots of our DIY 'self-reliant' types got themselves a nice case of carbon monoxide poisoning (or flat out died). Our own politicians were telling people to leave generator and electrical work to the professionals, to stay out of the water, and I can't think how many other hand-holding type PSAs. So much for self reliance.

So far as I'm considered, there's no such thing as an unworthy victim, whether they're rich or poor, black or white, Sandy victim or Katrina victim.

I think it is sad that this thread is disintegrating into a one up - ing of whose tragedy was worse. Shows what people really care about. Themselves and their own little world. I think media coverage is a poor indicator of what people care about. A lot of time you get media coverage way over doing it. They hop from one tragedy to the next.

Bolding is mine. I don't think people who have been through any disaster, natural or otherwise, should be described this way.

This is NJ today.
Why is the rest of the country so unaware of the devastation that Sandy has caused? Katrina was on the news in the Tri-State area for a very long time.

]

Virtually no one is unaware of the devastation Sandy has caused. Sandy was big news for a fairly long time. It's still being mentioned. I was in California two weeks ago and there was a story on the LA news. No, not that Prince Harry visited. But a general story about how the Jersey Shore is rebuilding and preparing for the summer season. They showed some photos similar to the ones you posted to show that some areas are still wrecked. I'm guessing your photos are from the Bay Head/Mantoloking/Ortley Beach area.

Realistically, it can't be expected that Sandy would continue to be a priority in the news. But no one has forgotten.

I posted soon after the storm my thanks to the many people who contributed their time, money, and efforts to help. I'd like to repeat those thanks again. It was very much appreciated.

Jim

Another note about recovery and rebuilding--Don't know if Sandy affected areas are dealing with extreme insurance costs yet. But we are. Our homeowners has quadrupled and we are 11 miles inland and not near any body of water. We had minimal damage, but because we are in an affected county, it's the way it is.

Cost of insurance has prevented a lot of people from rebuilding.

There are also new costly building codes and modifications.

The insurance cost is a very sore subject in our region.

It did for me, but because of claims. Irene, Sandy and a small claim this year and my insurane company said byebye! We are now in a high risk pool, and my insurance is alot more. And I just had to pay it in full! It is sickening. I hate insurance companies. It doesn't matter that I went 20 years without a claim, that is fine, but when you need them. Nope..toodles..don't let the door hit you on your way out. :sad:

I think one thing that takes time for FEMA is reviewing whether a structure should be rebuilt in the same location, or the owners reimbursed only if they move. Sometimes local officials allow homes to be build in places they never should have been built in.
I wish I could find the name of the small town in Missouri that flooded three times over a 15 year period. FEMA paid to fix damage the first two times, but after the third time, they said they would not pay to rebuild the town in the same spot. They bought land like 8 miles away, outside of the flood zone, and would only pay to rebuild the town in the new location. This was 20 or 25 years ago.

I think one thing that takes time for FEMA is reviewing whether a structure should be rebuilt in the same location, or the owners reimbursed only if they move. Sometimes local officials allow homes to be build in places they never should have been built in.
I wish I could find the name of the small town in Missouri that flooded three times over a 15 year period. FEMA paid to fix damage the first two times, but after the third time, they said they would not pay to rebuild the town in the same spot. They bought land like 8 miles away, outside of the flood zone, and would only pay to rebuild the town in the new location. This was 20 or 25 years ago.

Is this the one you mean?
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/floods/2008-06-19-flood-town_N.htm

Of course people care about their own little world!! It's heartbreaking to see the people you know and love doing without the things they need, and be unable to help them because you've lost everything yourself!!! After Sandy, I was afraid to drive anywhere, because I had a tank of gas and there was no gas to be had, and I wanted to save it in case one of my siblings needed it. (I'm one of 5, and we and mom are all on Long Island, though 2 are about 45 minutes away) So I didn't drive down to Long Beach to help strangers (as my sister did) because I was worried about my own family. It's hard to read about a tragedy when it happens to strangers, but when your neighbors and friends and coworkers and family have ALL been affected, it's a different matter.

To all the people so passionate on this thread, here's my challenge: today, write a check for the people of Moore OK. You can do it through a large organization or a smaller one, but let's get those people some help ASAP.Reading the stories and feeling sympathetic simply isn't enough. And prayers are great, but after we ask God to help them, it's our turn. IN particular, if you've been through the unending nightmare of a natural disaster, you understand, viscerallly, what it's like. (Sorry, I had links posted, but received a warning that it was against Dis policy.)

Let's get them the help they so desperately need. NOW, when they need it.

:scared1: Wow this thread took a turn. As a NJ native I can assure anyone that cares to pay attention that we had PLENTY of people who refused to evacuate and lots of our DIY 'self-reliant' types got themselves a nice case of carbon monoxide poisoning (or flat out died). Our own politicians were telling people to leave generator and electrical work to the professionals, to stay out of the water, and I can't think how many other hand-holding type PSAs. So much for self reliance.

So far as I'm considered, there's no such thing as an unworthy victim, whether they're rich or poor, black or white, Sandy victim or Katrina victim.

Sometimes self reliance means getting while the getting is good - not digging in your heels and putting yourself in harms way.

There are always some who think they're tough enough to make it and aren't. Sometimes, what you think is a good plan is really a bad one. Sometimes you do everything right and luck just isn't on your side.

But anyone who thinks things weren't different with Katrina isn't being honest with themselves.

OP here just read quick some responses will answer the best I can. Need to head out for the day.

The photos I posted was my reality, my experiences. I rarely have experienced people seeing and feeling the same way about something that holds some passion.

For my immediate family is was the loss of a very small 2nd home it's gone period. In the scheme of things no big deal.

One of the first things I think of that differ North to South is the temperatures. No heat, water, power for months in fall and winter temperatures.

The tri-state area is populated beyond most states in the country.
Tunnels were flooded for days not hours. Not puddles but feet. All bridges closed.
Water treatment plants that had no power dumped raw sewage into the bay.
Subways stopped for days, weeks and months.
When NYC stops the world halts in one way of the other. The financial industry, tourism/4 major airports, medical, etc.
Someone commented on the port of N.O. take a look at Elizabeth NJ.

My Aunt lives in Breezy Point, Bedford Ave. and all they have is studs. The Amish were there for a week and their help much appreciated. The community did it and continues to do things by themselves.
If the city makes the decision to make all bungalows to be raised many families will have to walk away.
Initially they stayed with us and then moved to a trailer in New Milford CT. They are 3+ hours away from there "home".

Our priest lost his entire home, same with other friends that have 2 small kids. Another family has 1 bedroom and bathroom on the 2nd floor.

As far as my knowledge of national media again it is my experience. Words shared from family and friends spread around the country.

Front page of our local newspaper this morning.
http://www.northjersey.com/columnis...rs_some_find_hopeful_slogans_ring_hollow.html

NEVERENOUGHWDW said:
OP here just read quick some responses will answer the best I can. Need to head out for the day.

The photos I posted was my reality, my experiences. I rarely have experienced people seeing and feeling the same way about something that holds some passion.

For my immediate family is was the loss of a very small 2nd home it's gone period. In the scheme of things no big deal.

One of the first things I think of that differ North to South is the temperatures. No heat, water, power for months in fall and winter temperatures.

The tri-state area is populated beyond most states in the country.
Tunnels were flooded for days not hours. Not puddles but feet. All bridges closed.
Water treatment plants that had no power dumped raw sewage into the bay.
Subways stopped for days, weeks and months.
When NYC stops the world halts in one way of the other. The financial industry, tourism/4 major airports, medical, etc.
Someone commented on the port of N.O. take a look at Elizabeth NJ.

My Aunt lives in Breezy Point, Bedford Ave. and all they have is studs. The Amish were there for a week and their help much appreciated. The community did it and continues to do things by themselves.
If the city makes the decision to make all bungalows to be raised many families will have to walk away.
Initially they stayed with us and then moved to a trailer in New Milford CT. They are 3+ hours away from there "home".

Our priest lost his entire home, same with other friends that have 2 small kids. Another family has 1 bedroom and bathroom on the 2nd floor.

As far as my knowledge of national media again it is my experience. Words shared from family and friends spread around the country.

Front page of our local newspaper this morning.
http://www.northjersey.com/columnists/kelly/As_the_Shore_recovers_some_find_hopeful_slogans_ring_hollow.html

Again, recovering from a tragedy that directly affects your area is very difficult.

I could still tell Katrina stories that match or exceed each of your instances given about people losing their entire town and homes and businesses and schools and about heat, humidity and death especially of my great aunt in one of the hospitals in New Orleans ( famous court case about 'mercy killings'). And tell many other stories of tragedy to friends and family and loss of economic systems due to Katrina that affect the country.

Don't forget hurricane Katrina was 2 distinct tragedies. The actual hurricane that made landfall twice in Louisiana and Mississippi and then the great flood of New Orleans due to failed levies.

But I am not going to make this a competition.

I will continue to think about those affected by all tragedies and offer good thoughts.

Sometimes self reliance means getting while the getting is good - not digging in your heels and putting yourself in harms way.

There are always some who think they're tough enough to make it and aren't. Sometimes, what you think is a good plan is really a bad one. Sometimes you do everything right and luck just isn't on your side.

But anyone who thinks things weren't different with Katrina isn't being honest with themselves.

You're right. The victims in Katrina were poorer, less informed, had more to lose by jumping ship if nothing happened, less ability to transport themselves (even with the public transport being offered, which was disorganized), their equivalent of our 'dunes' hadn't been kept in good repair, and things flooded so badly they wouldn't have been able to run gas generators even if, at some point, they'd had the extra couple of hundred on hand to buy one. I'll say there's a difference. It's a lot easier to be 'self reliant' when you have the money for decent tools and better access to news and information. But you put a bunch of NJ folks into NOLA kind of flooding and you find them sitting on their roofs hoping for rescue just like they did in Katrina - I watched it happen in Bound Brook, NJ when Hurricane Floyd just about wiped it off the map and it's a whole lot smaller for someone who wants to try and get out than New Orleans was.

In some ways, I think Jersey handled it worse. People in the aftermath of Katrina had to 'loot' just to get food, people here were looting their neighbors' houses for big screen TVs that were probably destroyed by the water level anyway. If we handled things better here it's only because we had more resources to begin with from household to household, where everything was wiped out completely, the story was pretty much the same. (One exception, I've been told that it's less common to know how to swim in New Orleans than in New Jersey, if this is true I'd guess this contributed to some fatalities.)

WHY are we even compairing natural disasters???

Both were absolutely tragic in their own unique ways. I have friends in NOLA who were unreachable (missing, if you will) for a week. My Husband's entire family is from Northern NJ, many of their homes were damaged, one family lost their home completely.

To sit here and compare the two, and complain over media coverage is just beyond.

We've donated money overall, and assisted our friends and family. I still hold my breath and pray for NOLA that the levees will hold since Katrina if there is a storm tracking that way. Now I will hold my breath and pray just the same if a storm were to track towards the Tri-State area.

Oh, and just to make me credible, I've gone through Andrew, Charley, Francis and Jeanne.

While we are on the subject.....the 2013 Hurricane Season starts on June 1st. Now is the time to replenish your Hurricane safety kits.

I hope and pray that there are NO Katrina's and Sandy's that make landfall anywhere in the US.

Stay safe all.

WHY are we even compairing natural diasters???

To sit here and compare the two, and complain over media coverage is just beyond.

We've donated money overall, and assisted our friends and family. I still hold my breath and pray for NOLA that the levees will hold since Katrina if there is a storm tracking that way. Now I will hold my breath and pray just the same if a storm were to track towards the Tri-State area.

Oh, and just to make me credible, I've gone through Andrew, Charley, Francis and Jeanne.

It is ridiculous and self-serving to make comparisons between natural disasters and then try to determine if "your" personal disaster has been neglected. I don't know why people do this. We all know people who have been affected by superstorms, blizzards, floods, and fires. There is no "worse" storm when your area is the one to be devastated, but it is beyond ignorant to try assess what media coverage and what assistance other areas have received, and then try to compare that assistance to the response that your own area received. There really is no way to know, so all that can be done is to "guess", which serves no purpose whatsoever, unless the purpose is gauge what reactions can be had.

My area was hit by Albert. In my years I had never seen such a storm and I pray that I never will again. We had people complain that the response was slow, that there was not enough money, and that resources were limited. That was not my experience. And CT is one small state. I imagine that for every storm that has been discussed here, every personal experience will differ as well.

This is NJ today.
Why is the rest of the country so unaware of the devastation that Sandy has caused? Katrina was on the news in the Tri-State area for a very long time.

Do you honestly expect that everything will be fixed this quickly. It was years before things were back to a relative normal. Nothing will ever be the same as it was before Andrew. Never! Some businesses never came back, people left the area and moved to other areas, our Air Base is not a Reserve Base. Schools had to be rebuilt. A few areas were never rebuilt. We are 20 years later and we are still feeling effects of that storm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter