Katrina Photos - update on post 13

Oh my God I don't know what to say. How tragic. My heart goes out to all of you. I con't to pray that everyone can put their lives back together. I hope you were able to save some of your possessions and memories.

oh my gosh...i started to reply...but i deleted it. like spinning, i just don't know what to say...

it is amazing the utter destruction that mother nature can do.

i am truly sorry for all your losses. hopefully you and all the other victims can rebuild thier lives so they are back to normal as soon as you can.

now we have to see what rita will do...hopefully it won't be that bad.

Well, I can't remember if I posted their story here or not. This is DH's mom and stepdad. They have lived in that house for 22 or 23 years. They had gotten word from a friend on the city planning commission that they expected Katrina to be a 2 when it hit and it would have 13 ft storm surge. Their property is at 17 ft and they have stayed for cat 2's before with no problems - they just board up the windows and wait it out - this house survived Camile in the 60's.
When DH's younger brother talked with them Monday morning, the storm surge was just up to the porch - 17 ft + about 2 ft so it was at 19 ft already. When DH talked to them it was ankle deep in the house. When DH's step brother talked to them it was waist deep and they were heading for the attic. At that point we lost touch with them - I guess that is when the cell towers were destroyed.
We were suposed to be on our way to Hilton Head for our anniversary but decided to wait to leave until we could see how the storm came in. DH was very nervous and upset that we lost contact with his folks. We decided to cancel our trip in case we needed to go down there. DH left Tuesday morning from Montgomery and was able to get to their house - a neighbor wanted some antiques out of her house so her son used his heavy equipment to clear the street to his mother's house and to my in-laws porch.
They arrived back in Montgomery around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night with a couple of plastic bags of wet clothes - all that they had on was wet also so we did laundry while they showered to get something dry for them to wear. My sorority sisters had also gone shopping and brought them necesities (tooth brushes, tooth paste, deodorant, underwear, tshirts, shorts, combs and brushes and a few other things - those girls are a God send).
They stayed with us until Saturday when DH's stepbrother picked them up to stay with him just outside of Atlanta - he has a bigger house than we do.
Last Thursday - Sept 15th - we drove down there (DH, GF(good friend) and myself) and met MIL and SBIL down there to salvage what we could. We had 2 pickup trucks (one with a cover that fit over the bed and the other open topped.
We were able to get most all of her dishes and cookware. Her dining room table and chairs and kitchen table and chairs are solid oak so we packed them onto the trucks because they looked like they could be cleaned up. A solid oak table from the living room, a few nick-nacks and keepsakes, things that were in the top of closets where the water didn't reach (they had 5'8'' of water at the highest point of the surge). The water was only in the house for about 4 hours but anything vaneered or made with pressed wood was ruined, also anything appolstered.
It was a big soggy smelly mess down there - the photos don't do it justice. I could go on and on but I will stop here. I am just thankful that they are ok. I really feel for the people Texas and Louisiana with Rita - I hope it isn't as bad as Katrina.

WOW! Bless your MIL - how could anyone smile! My thoughts & prayers continue to be with those whose lives were changed after Katrina & those who are now in th path of Rita.

All I can say is WOW.....

I glad they could save some of there things. How is the cat???

Tantor said:
All I can say is WOW.....

I glad they could save some of there things. How is the cat???

We have their cat (Slinky is his name). SIL is allergic so they couldn't take him with them to stay at BIL's house - plus they have a dog that would drive the cat insane.

Our two cats are not too pleased to have him with us but I am sure they will warm up to him after a while. It has only been 3 weeks.

Like everyone else I am speechless. Your family will be in my prayers. I'm so glad they were able to get out.

Cyndi

How awful. It's seeing the pics that make it real. You can hear about it, but until you see pics you really can't visualize (sp) it. We will keep them in our prayers. Just glad that they are ok. The whole thing is so upseting.

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and prayers for my family. I spoke with MIL yesterday and FIL is doing better - doesn't seem quite so depressed. They are settling in well in GA. Decided to stay with BIL for about a year before deciding what they want to do about a new place to live.

WOW! Those pictures are amazing to see how much damage was done inside one house.

:grouphug:

:grouphug: for all of you! What a horrific experience! :sad2: After such an upheaval, I don't blame them at all for taking a year before deciding where to go next. Good luck to all of you!

For the folks who had asked how my in-laws are doing. They didn't like Atlanta so they moved to an apartment here in November and have now bought a condo. They are excited to be putting down roots again and they have made arrangements to sell their property in Gulfport.
It is different for DH and I because we haven't lived within 4 - 5 hours of any of our family for 20 years. It has been nice to see them once or twice a week and we talk alot more on the phone to.
Things are definitely looking up for them.
Thanks to all of you who kept them in your thoughts and prayers during the disaster and after.
The folks here are so friendly and kind.
Sandy

Glad your in-laws are doing well: thanks for keeping us up to date!

I'm glad to hear that your family has settled so well.
After such devastation, there just were not enough words to convey our empathy and prayers.
Thanks for the update!
Lydia

Wow, those pictures are amazing. I am sorry that your family lost what you did, but thank the Lord that your in-laws survived.
I hate to hear that they didn't like Atlanta, but I am sure that you are happy to have them closer to you. I hope that things continue to get better for them, and I hope that each passing day will become brighter.

Glad your family is doing well. The church my husband and I were married in was completely destroyed. Christ Church in Bay St. Louis, MS. My father's ashes were placed there, luckily the memory stone still remains. We should all count our blessings that our families made it out. My mother and brother only suffered minor damage on their houses. The pictures can't really give the true feeling of everything we knew being gone....just gone. Bless you and yours

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter